Author Topic: iCarc Lite  (Read 5884 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
iCarc Lite
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:24:42 AM »
I don't own any Apple device, but accidentally ran onto this app in AppStore. Application helps to count remaining tiles, probability to draw particular type of tile or feature and so on.
Lite version is limited by base game and 3 expansions: Inns & Cathedrals, King & Robber, Festival. Full version adds Traders & Builders, Princess & Dragon, Tower, Abbey & Mayor, Catapult, GQ11, Cult, Bridges, Castles and Bazaars.
Does anyone used it? Is it something valuable?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1770.0
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: iCarc Lite
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:05:58 AM »
Never heard of this, but it's borderline to cheating, isn't it? If used in the leagues.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 05:07:34 AM »
I thought, the iPhone app has this feature in the game itself? It depicts all the remaining tiles, as far as I know.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 05:17:09 AM »
I thought, the iPhone app has this feature in the game itself? It depicts all the remaining tiles, as far as I know.

You are right, but this app can be used in offline games: you enter every drawn tile and see what left in your physical bag.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »

You are right, but this app can be used in offline games: you enter every drawn tile and see what left in your physical bag.

Anyone using this in an online game could potentially have a huge benefit if they knew how to use it to their advantage. Hopefully nobody is doing so.

As a training aid it could be really helpful for practising tile-counting so that you can do it in your head though.

Offline loki

• Duke
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
If you really want to cheat this way when playing online, all you have to do is lay out a copy of the tiles beside yourself and remove each card as it is drawn and placed.  You could order the layout into groups; straight road, curved road, cloister, city with 2 sides etc.   

But why would you want to bother?   

Biggest problem in Carcassonne is finding people to play with. 
Most important asset you have when using JClosterZone is your reputation to win or lose gracefully and with good humour. 

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:44:31 AM »
If you really want to cheat this way when playing online, all you have to do is lay out a copy of the tiles beside yourself and remove each card as it is drawn and placed.  You could order the layout into groups; straight road, curved road, cloister, city with 2 sides etc.   

Most important asset you have when using JClosterZone is your reputation to win or lose gracefully and with good humour.

Yes. Most of us that know this haven't mentioned it, to keep it from tempting players.  :@

Because it's impossible to prove, there's only one option (for me at least) and trust that no one does. There are only bad outcomes if people starting to accuse one another.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 02:49:32 PM »

Yes. Most of us that know this haven't mentioned it, to keep it from tempting players.  :@

Because it's impossible to prove, there's only one option (for me at least) and trust that no one does. There are only bad outcomes if people starting to accuse one another.

Unfortunately this is always the case, when you're playing against someone who isn't physically near you there's no way of telling what they might be doing. The question is why they would bother if they were going to cheat though, and I don't have an answer to that. The glory of winning maybe? But where's the glory if you're lying to yourself about it...

This is absolutely true and rather insightful. Merit for this statement alone!  :) :(y)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »
Couldn't have say it any better. That's the spirit. :(y) Merit for you.

It would be sad to find some of our JCZ regulars doing this.
Although I believe that the attention lost "playing" with tiles that aren't on the table yet would jeopardize any just-in-time strategy, at least for me.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 03:18:48 AM »

Does anyone used it? Is it something valuable?

I saw it in the App Store a few years ago but I was so unimpressed by the graphics that I never downloaded it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter