Author Topic: World Record Attempt 2016  (Read 85906 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: World Record Attempt 2016
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 05:15:43 AM »
•We will not be playing with the farmer rules due to time restraint
[...]
A test game using expansion rules we've planned to use (except The Flyers):
[...]
•2 farm field of 3 points and 27 points
So, will you use farmers or not?
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 05:27:11 AM »
•We will not be playing with the farmer rules due to time restraint
[...]
A test game using expansion rules we've planned to use (except The Flyers):
[...]
•2 farm field of 3 points and 27 points
So, will you use farmers or not?

No farmers during the event game. This was decided after this test run.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 08:35:05 AM »
Are you going to manage trapping meeple for 10k of tiles? I doubt 7 is enough for a game that long.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 09:13:52 AM »
Are you going to manage trapping meeple for 10k of tiles? I doubt 7 is enough for a game that long.

We've added a hint on this in the Facebook event that was created. The game will be more co-op eventually having us on the opposite side of the board itself focusing on that area.

One really has no idea just how insane this will be so we really have to think outside the box for this game! x_x

Update: In order for us to manage in time, we estimate no more than 18 seconds per player turn in order to succeed in placing 10k tiles in 50 hours non-stop.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 09:17:48 AM by Paul »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 09:41:03 AM »

Update: In order for us to manage in time, we estimate no more than 18 seconds per player turn in order to succeed in placing 10k tiles in 50 hours non-stop.

Are you planning to be awake the whole time?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »

Are you planning to be awake the whole time?

Awake for 70 hours straight, I doubt that. We're going to have friends take over a few hours while we take shifts in resting. :) At least this is the plan, everything not yet decided.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2016, 09:57:08 PM »
Awake for 70 hours straight, I doubt that. We're going to have friends take over a few hours while we take shifts in resting. :) At least this is the plan, everything not yet decided.

70 hours isn't so bad. When Mrs_danisthirty gave birth to our first child, the labour lasted around 4 - 5 days in total during which time I got barely 5 or 6 hours of sleep and she got even less. I'd much rather have been playing Carcassonne than noting down contraction times etc... :D

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 11:01:18 PM »

70 hours isn't so bad. When Mrs_danisthirty gave birth to our first child, the labour lasted around 4 - 5 days in total during which time I got barely 5 or 6 hours of sleep and she got even less. I'd much rather have been playing Carcassonne than noting down contraction times etc... :D

Labour is all relative in this case. :D If anything, I'll keep this as an incentive to stay awake.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 04:26:50 AM »
Hi Paul,

did you contacted "Herner Spielezentrum" ?

Here is the Carcassonne-Mega 2006 - the Guiness World Records
https://www.spielezentrum.de/Carcassonne/CC-Mega/cc-mega2006.html

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2016, 02:30:54 PM »
Today, Feb 21, 2016 we had a nother go at Carcassonne world record attempt mini games!

The 2 games lasted 39 and 34 minutes respectively. As before, we were 3 players as black, blue and yellow. Keeping with the previous idea of scoring but also adding more tiles to the table. We counted 306 tiles, including all 3 versions of the river. (River I, II and from the Big Box 5.) The photo below show the endgame board without the rivers and wooden figures as we remembered taking the shot after we already started packing. Woops!

The first game of 39 minutes for 306 tiles calculates an estimated 7 seconds per tile (a full turn) which is pretty impressive and would end the game at 21 hours or so. But not without tweaks.

This is a short list of how the game will be played:
•The Count will be our starter tile or Wheel of fortune, as a marker for where the "center" is
•We will be using tiles from most of the expansions but not the actual rules. See Tiles to be used
•Rules to implement are those stated in the previous entry (Inns and Cathedrals, Traders and Builders etc.)
•River tiles will be pre-shuffled with the river starter tile in draw pile. More on this further down under The river tiles
•When the game board has grown large, we will be using free will tile placement. More on this below under Game play mechanics
•The game will be more co-op than competing against one another explained in the section Goal for this event

Tiles to be used
We will be using tiles from almost every expansion using the old graphic art. This mainly due to that I don't have enough tiles to hit the 10k mark else. As most of the rules are optional anyway we don't feel that it actually breaks any rules. This also allows us to more easily fill in gaps that occur as we progress.
  Some of the expansions that will be used in this manner are the mini expansions such as The Ferries and Bandits as well as other larger expansions such as Hills and Sheep, Abbey and Mayor, The Catapult (yaay! ;) ), GQ11, Wheel of Fortune and Castles, Bridges and Bazaar.
  There will not be any special wooden figure (bridge, mayor, large follower, builder etc) nor any tokens (castles, little buildings, half'n'half tiles, German monasteries). Only 7 follower each! More on this in the Goal for this event below.

The river tiles
There will be over 10 river sets in the game. The river starter tile will be mixed into the draw pile among all the other tiles.
Whenever one of these tiles are drawn, that player places it on one of the edges of the entire board and then takes a pre-shuffled river tile stack (of 11 tiles) where the bottom tile is always the river end tile. He or she then places them outwards, away from the board, one by one and may choose to place a follower wherever he or she sees fits. The river must flow outwards and can turn sideways but never make a U-turn, not even if there is a straight road in between the tiles (which is allowed in the official rules).
  This is to prevent the river ending up being stuck, which by following the above rule can't happen. Some of the other arrangers can't see this to be true so I put in a wager that if one of the river flows gets stuck I'm giving away one of the Ark of the Covenant I have! :D Yes, I am that confident.
  Note that any pre-shuffled stack with River II always always starts with the T-section river tile placed as in the official rules and have a river end in the random part of the stack.

The shaded river starter tiles in the image above shows its legal placement for its current board. (Fan expansions won't be used during the world record event.)

Example above shows the difference between official rules and the world record attempt tweak, having the river forced outwards, it can never collide or get stuck.

Game play mechanics
There will be some hours during the game, where we enter the free will phase part of it. This means that we are allowed to place tiles as we see fit without waiting for another player to set his or her tile.
  One simply draws a tile, do one's turn, and then draw another tile and so forth. As we are playing a co-op game, we will be focusing on scoring on our side of the board avoiding our "opponents" area. This may not even take effect at all and mostly depends on the pace of the game later in.
  We tried this on today's 2 games we played and it was a lot of fun! Sometimes we completed other player's cities or roads, heck even cloisters, mostly to fill in the gaps. Even though we help others to score, we can always score something for ourselves, so it even things out somewhat.

Goal for this event
The main goal for this event is to have set out all 10.000 tiles before the convention ends. Of course, just laying down tiles without a deeper purpose wouldn't be a lot of fun; Naturally we want somewhat of a game being played. Unfortunately the time restriction and the few amount of players prevent for a proper 10k tiles game with more rules. I had to fight just to keep the Tower and Dragon rules in!
  After the convention, when things settle down, there will be more stuff to do with the tiles. So don't worry, I'm not ready to sell off my collection just yet! ;)

That's it for meeting 2. Stay tuned for more updates later, hopefully already next week!

Paul

The two game sessions results:

Game 1
Black at 292 points with largest feat being a 63 points city.
Blue at 218 points with largest feat being 27 points city.
Yellow(me) at 259 points with largest feat being a 24 points road (with inn).

Game 2
Black at 156 points with largest feat being a 30 points city.
Blue at 238 points with largest feat being many 2 tiled cities.
Yellow(me) at 351 points with largest feat being a 42 points city.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:37:50 PM by Paul »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2016, 08:51:09 AM »
We just finished a mini megaCarc today. Review and images coming tonight or tomorrow. 1564 tiles.

The Facebook event page for this world record attempt with previous of today's test can be found here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:16:41 AM by Paul »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
Whoa  :o

:(y) :(y) :(y) :(y)

Just for the attempt and regardless of the outcome, I gave you a merit.  Not for organizing and playing in such an awesome Carcassonne game, but for cleaning it up.  I can't imagine counting out all of those tiles and putting them all back in the correct boxes.   8)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:58:51 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »
Whoa  :o

:(y) :(y) :(y) :(y)

Just for the attempt and regardless of the outcome, I gave you a merit.  Not for organizing and playing in such an awesome Carcassonne game, but for cleaning it up.  I can't imagine counting out all of those tiles and putting them all back in the correct boxes.   8)

Suprisingly this doesn't take that long. When I first sorted 300 tiles by expansion (alone) it took only 15 mins or so.
  With 1500+ tiles it took about 10-15 mins counting them into piles of 30 (3 persons) and put them into base game boxes with 600 tiles each. We of course didn't sort by expansion this time but it would only add 5-10 more mins. :)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
With 10,000 tiles, it is going to take you a few hours.  Hopefully you have more volunteers.   Too bad I can't stop by and "help myself" to some of those tiles... err umm help clean up.  Let's see, fly to Copenhagen and its only a 3 hour drive through the cool bridge/tunnel.  Afterward drive 3 more hours to Oslo to knock 3 countries off of my bucket list.....  No way would I do that in March  :-\   

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »
With 10,000 tiles, it is going to take you a few hours.  Hopefully you have more volunteers.   Too bad I can't stop by and "help myself" to some of those tiles... err umm help clean up.  Let's see, fly to Copenhagen and its only a 3 hour drive through the cool bridge/tunnel.  Afterward drive 3 more hours to Oslo to knock 3 countries off of my bucket list.....  No way would I do that in March  :-\

If you volunteer to help us out with the game I'd be happy to give you some of the tiles for compensation. :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?

Started by Halfling

29 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 01:30:05 PM
by Decar
xx
A Journey Into the World Record of a Game of Carcassonne

Started by Paul

20 Replies
Last post February 07, 2017, 12:57:40 PM