Expansion 1/2/3

Inns and Cathedrals
20 (57.1%)
Traders and builders
14 (40%)
Princess and Dragon
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Expansion 1, 2 or 3?  (Read 10809 times)

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion 1, 2 or 3?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 08:01:52 AM »
Thanks for the advice Dan!

Do you think that the tower is good or bad with two players?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:56 AM »
It depends if I'll be expecting to remain on talking terms with my opponent after the game! :-X >:(

I like The Tower a lot more than I used to now that I'm a bit more familiar with it (we played a Tower League last year). It's not as random as I first thought and there are some very good strategies and defences which become relevant when playing with it.

If it's going to be a friendly/ family game and not too competitive then I think it's a good addition. Not necessarily a good place to start, but certainly something you can consider adding once you're familiar with the first two or three expansions.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
The Tower works quite good with 2, with 3 it's getting harder because multiple people are gonna steal your  :green-meeple: :green-meeple: :green-meeple:'s. I had some games where I had to much points and everyone is gonna turn against you.

I like the tower a lot, but we never use the ransome payment. No one wants to lose points  :'(.
But I also recommend to try first the first two expansions(Inns&Cathedrals and Traders & Builders), before getting in the tower. But that's my opinion :)
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »
Of course! I am probably going to follow the expansions in the order.

I was just asking as I saw a post about the tower and most of the comments were negative (not on this website)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44:52 AM »
The Tower and Princess and Dragon are the so-called aggressive expansions, where you kidnap and 'eat' the other player's meeples. This obviously makes the game more cut-throat and mean. If you and your Mum are happy to play like this, then go for it (I think the Tower is great, personally). But if you'd rather a less confrontational experience - which I'd imagine might be the case with your Mum! - then I'd skip those two expansions. You can't go wrong with I&C and T&B, and Abbey and Mayor is another one that's generally well received and doesn't have aggressive elements.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 08:45:39 AM »
I like the tower a lot, but we never use the ransome payment. No one wants to lose points  :'(.

I suppose it all depends where you are in the game, but personally I would rather be on 40 points and have a meeple in hand than on 43 and have nothing to earn any more points with. You never know when the next cloister is going to come along!

I was just asking as I saw a post about the tower and most of the comments were negative (not on this website)

It's fine to dislike stuff. I don't think there's anyone here who likes every expansion; not even me. I would liken The Tower to a fine wine or a nice bottle of Whisky (not that I have much experience of either): you need to develop a taste for it! ;)

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 09:32:12 AM »

I suppose it all depends where you are in the game, but personally I would rather be on 40 points and have a meeple in hand than on 43 and have nothing to earn any more points with. You never know when the next cloister is going to come along!

Ofcours I'll pay 3 point if it would make it worth  ::), but I prefer to capture a  :green-meeple: from my opponent >:D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:41:48 AM by sinscerly »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »
T&b is my fav expansion - it adds so much to the game.  I really like inns and cathedrals as well but it is more of an extension to the base game than adding anything.  I love princess and Dragon but tower is not too popular in my house.  I do like it but I think the rules are fundamentally flawed in that you can place a tower piece on a foundation and kidnap on the same turn thus not allowing a player to protect his meeple.  We house rule it to say that the first tower piece allows capture from itself and only when a second piece is added can you capture from surrounding tiles - it makes the game a lot less frustrating.

After that, we pick and choose elements of expansions rather than playing the whole lot.  For example, when playing with actual tiles on an actual table (instead of jcz) we never play with the barn.

All in all, my advice is T&B, then I&C, then p&d and then whatever you please.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
Thanks for all the advice  :P.

Somehow I managed to get all three!

I&C as a birthday present from my Grandma
T&B as a Christmas present from my Grandma (got them both on the same day)
P&D as a Christmas present from my brother (I assume my mum told him what to get me.

We've played them all once so far and they are all unique and we like them all.   :D

Edit: I tried to include a photo but it says file too large

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 10:01:40 AM »
That's nice from them :)
Great you liked them all. Indeed they are great in their own way.

As for a picture you need to make the file smaller if you want to upload it to CarcC or you can embed it but that is a longer story.
Smaller: You can use any fotoprogram or editer tool. Even microsoft paint works.

Room for the other awnser

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
Great to hear you got all 3 expansions!  + belated Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas too  :(y)

They all manage to add something very different to the base game.

Princess and Dragon gets some stick because it's 'mean', but that just adds extra complexity in my opinion.  I enjoyed the last league of it here at CarcC.

Keep up the practise :)

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 06:06:47 AM »
In Inns and Cathedrals (new version) I also get some tiles that look like a river expansion. I looked around and I didn't see anywhere which said which one it was. Do you guys know?

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »
I believe the River I, is included in Scandinavian editions of Inns and Cathedrals, because the base box did not include them.  Photos of the tiles and or box would help determine what they are.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 06:35:18 AM »
Indeed a did a quick google search and it is the river 1. It should be the same as in the main game

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 07:56:04 AM »
Scandanavian?  :o

This is the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carcassonne-Expansion-1-Inns-Cathedrals/dp/B015GF1C1Y as I still haven't worked out how to send pictures.

Sinscerly what do you mean by the same as in the main game

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTT/FS Expansion: 2 (2.0) -> Expansion: 2 (2.1)

Started by Tolben

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2021, 08:55:40 AM
by Tolben
xx
I want to purchase expansion 8: Bridges Castles and Bazaars

Started by PapaGeek

1 Replies
Last post October 04, 2021, 02:29:01 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Knizia - Falcon expansion for Carcassonne - "Die Burg" (The Castle)

Started by kettlefish

21 Replies
Last post December 08, 2015, 02:50:07 AM
by quevy
xx
What next for the Expansion League series?

Started by danisthirty

24 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 08:16:29 AM
by Jéré
xx
What kind of expansion is this?

Started by ac1982

6 Replies
Last post March 29, 2022, 08:32:28 AM
by Decar