Author Topic: I love unexpected finds  (Read 4234 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
I love unexpected finds
« on: March 09, 2017, 01:34:18 AM »
In the spirit of the rest of the 'I love...' threads, here's a new one about finding Carcassonne or other games in places you didn't expect to (i.e. non-games shops). Here are three quick stories from my early days in Lisbon to get things going.

1. There are many wonderful bookshops in Lisbon. One of them is the Bertrand bookstore in Chiado which has been open since 1732 and claims to be the oldest bookstore in the world. A month or so ago I spent some time browsing books there. At the back they have a section with kids' books, and hiding on the top shelf in the most remote corner of the bookstore are a handful of modern board games, including Carcassonne!

2. A few days ago junglegirl and I were at a big electronics store called Warten to buy a microwave. While we were at the counter, we remembered that we also wanted to look at printers. I left junglegirl at the counter and went to see if I could find the printer section. En route, I discovered (to my surprise) an aisle with board games. The even bigger surprise was that there were three shrink-wrapped English-language copies of The Mystery of the Abbey (the 2007 DoW version with expansion, I believe). When I first started expanding out of board games, MotA was one of the games I came across and was interested in (it's a Clue-type game). I never got it and probably still won't, but it was pretty crazy to see it in an electronics shop nevertheless.   

3. Back at the same mall a couple of days ago, we walked past a tobacconist and there were a handful of modern board games in the window, including - boom! - Kingdomino. A month or so ago I had visited a board game shop and hoped to find Kingdomino there but they didn't have it. To see it so randomly in a tobacco shop was very unexpected, so I grabbed it!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3208.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: I love unexpected finds
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:51:09 AM »
Sounds like you've cleaned out Lisbon!  Well done on your finds - great to hear you're enjoying (and making the most of) your new home too!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:07:07 AM »
Sounds like you've cleaned out Lisbon!  Well done on your finds - great to hear you're enjoying (and making the most of) your new home too!

Thanks! I only bought one (small) game out of the three stories. You don't have to make a purchase for it to be an unexpected find :)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 05:15:38 AM »
After I started this thread I walked past the bookstore from the first story and went in to take some photos and tell the story in images. But Carcassonne is gone! That means there is a new Carcassonne fan somewhere in Lisbon. And at least Cacao is still there to represent tile-laying games.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 06:36:19 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
I'm intrigued by the book 'Stay Melty'  that seems like something that's  almost impossible.

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:19:57 AM »
We loved Lisboa with my girlfriend, we had 10 days planned and we wanted to split it 5 days Lisboa and 5 days Porto, but in the end we stayed the whole 10 days there, not one day we got bored :) Bought a couple stuff in a Magic shop but couldn't bring back much boardgames, limited space :(

Those places seem really familiar to me :)

In the end we also stayed 10 days in Porto for a later trip !

Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
Great to hear you loved Lisbon. I do too :)

Another 'benefit' of Portugal is that there are still a lot of v1 Carcassonne expansions around (the publisher Devir is the same as Spain, which also has a lot of old art still being sold). So perhaps this find at fnac yesterday is not so unexpected after all!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 03:08:26 AM »
Wow, this looks like a great place! Thanks for the photos.

Good to see all the Carc v1 stuff too, even if they did put it right next to the XADREZ ::)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 01:04:21 AM »
A few weeks ago in Naples, Italy, we were taken on a walking tour of the neighbourhood known as the Sanità. One of the curiosities of the neighbourhood is that there is a round cloister which is no longer complete because a bridge was built over the top of the Sanità and the base of one of the supporting arches goes right into the cloister. So part of the cloister was demolished and the remaining part juts right up against the bridge foundation.

Why am I telling you this? Because I’ve never seen anything like it before (and I doubt there is anything like it), and because it’s the physical embodiment of this:

Offline AdamJBavier

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • Maybe time to slow my orders...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
Thanks for the cloister story.

The Carcassonne wooded bridges create some very imaginative landscapes and architectures for sure.  ;D

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
I just wish you put that tile cloister and bridge combo under the real cloister and bridge...it's cloisters all the way down  ??? ???

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Auction finds

Started by CKorfmann

3 Replies
Last post November 22, 2015, 05:39:07 PM
by mPony
xx
Love Letter & Love Letter Premium (Comparison)

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
by Willem
xx
I love the postman...

Started by danisthirty

3812 Replies
Last post March 01, 2024, 11:06:24 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
I Love My Birthday...