Author Topic: Couple of expansion rules questions!  (Read 7564 times)

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
Couple of expansion rules questions!
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:20:23 PM »
Hello all,

Huge fan of the game. I've played the base+river with friends a few times before (which is what got me intially hooked). I own the iOS app and all available expansions for said app. I also just this week got my own copy of the base game (which includes the river) by ZMG plus the I&C and T&B expansions. I've played the iOS app (and thus my knowldge of the rules is largely based on how HiG does them) and java-based implementation known as jcloisterzone a lot and I've studied the CAR a lot as well. In addition I've also studied the official ZMG rules and I now have some concerns. My friends have no exposure to the expansions and I want to change that.

My concerns:

(First let's look at P&D, and I refer to ZMG's rules listed here, http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Carcassonne_Exp3.pdf)

1. Where in the rules, even implicitly so, does it state that if I place a volcano tile that I can NOT place the fairy?

2. If the builder and pig are NOT followers how then do I argue they should be eaten by the dragon when the rules only say "Each time the dragon moves onto a tile with a follower, that follower is returned to its owner

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=625.0

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of expansion rules questions!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:11:40 AM »
Zman Games has translated rules from princess and the dragon, but they didn't have the newest German rules for the translation.

question 2:
In the German rules from HiG we have 4 pages of rules. At zman games are only two pages...
At page 4 in the German rule you can find which figure the dragon can eat.
Since the BigBox 1 from 2006 is the status of the pig and the builder "special figures" and the dragon
can eat the builder and the pig...

The best way for English speaking people is to use the CAR, because all the clarifications and the translation from the
newest original German rules are included. The actual CAR is version 6.4.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:38 AM »
question 1:

I see, that in the zman games rule - they say nothing about the fairy and the volcano.

At the newest German HiG rules they say that the fairy can be moved from one tile to another tile.

But why do you like to place the fairy on the volcano tile? On that tile the fairy has no work to do,
because on such tile is no follower... And the fairy can only be placed or moved to a tile next to your follower.

Here are some information about the newest versions of rules:
German Rules at HiG Homepage - new Version 2013

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 10:17:30 AM »
Thank you for the replies. Given my English speaking nature I didn't focus to much on the rules directly from HiG simply because I don't speak German. Thus I didn't realize their rulesets were longer. That simplifies it for me. The creator of the game is German. The game is first published by a German company, HiG. My argument can be that ZMG doesn't translate all the rules and so the best way to know something is to reference the CAR which doing so wouldn't be a problem for me.

Thank you for your answers. Also I should clarify my first question. Obviously can NOT place the fairy directly on a volcano tile because no followers can exist on a volcano tile (except via magic portal (or otherwise) but that's another matter) BUT anytime you play a volcano tile I see no reason that you couldn't move the fairy to another tile with a follower on it. HiG rules say you MAY do ths but ZMG mentions nothing one way or the other. Thus, this is why I asked the question I did.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Couple of questions

Started by DaFees

4 Replies
Last post December 02, 2016, 05:27:02 PM
by DaFees
xx
New Player, New to Forums, With a Couple Dumb Questions

Started by Fellwarre

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 11:55:57 AM
by Scott
xx
I would like to make and print a couple custom tiles. Any help?

Started by Drodo

20 Replies
Last post May 02, 2021, 10:14:05 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Carcassonne South Sea - rules questions

Started by Khonnor

6 Replies
Last post December 11, 2013, 05:57:06 AM
by Khonnor
xx
Rules Questions for Hans im Glueck Thread