Author Topic: First game with new artwork  (Read 19554 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
First game with new artwork
« on: November 02, 2014, 03:16:56 PM »
So, my wife and I had our first game of Carcassonne using the new ("2.0") artwork this evening.

It wasn't exactly a classic game, and we didn't use the river either, but I wanted to share the photo below all the same:

The new artwork is definitely growing on me, and I'm not just saying that because I won (despite losing the big city by 2 blue knights against 3 red knights)!

Final scores were  :blue-meeple: 129 - 107  :red-meeple: (in my favour - my farmers made all the difference).

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1217.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:46:36 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
Re: First game with new artwork
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
Sorry, but the new artwork is not growing on me. The blue towers on the wall I can accept, but the red gravel in the cities and the pale city-walls insults’ my eyes. :'(

I am looking forward to receive some real old artwork in the mail one of these days - Hunters & Gatherers. And I already have the expansion ;D

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
The roads looks great. Definately an improvement.

The city tiles, however, look dreadful. Reminds me of pizza and vomit. Maybe they look great watching them for real but they do not seem to be photo friendly.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:27:37 AM »
The roads looks great. Definately an improvement.

The city tiles, however, look dreadful. Reminds me of pizza and vomit. Maybe they look great watching them for real but they do not seem to be photo friendly.

vomit pizza? Mmm...  :P

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:02:37 AM »
More important than the new artwork - did you play with the new abbot? Did you like it? How did I work?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:13:49 AM »
More important than the new artwork - did you play with the new abbot? Did you like it? How did I work?

Sorry but we didn’t play using the Abbots as it was late and my wife wanted to keep things simple. We didn’t even use the river! Hopefully we’ll get to play a full game soon but I mostly wanted to play with the new artwork just to see how I felt about it as the landscape developed. I think most of my base-game only games will be played using these tiles from now on...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »
First I didn't like the new edition artwork when I saw the promotional photo, then I liked it when I saw the pictures posted on CarcF, now I don't like it again. And today I think I finally put my finger on why I don't like it.

I think the artwork and especially the detail on the individual tiles is beautiful. I have one of them as my iPhone home screen wallpaper. I even like the blue roofs. I haven't seen a close-up of the cloisters but I think they look quite cool too.

But for some reason when the tiles are put together I think it looks awful. Somehow the colours just don't interact well with each other on a larger scale. I think vomit pizza is a perfect description!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »
I kind of see what you mean jungleboy. Although each tile is beautifully illustrated there is definitely something different and almost unsettling about how a finished game looks in terms of the landscape.

The fields look less like grass and more like some sort of green lava, kind of like the surface of a liquid. And the cities look a bit like blobs of something floating on the liquid. It is hard to put into words really, but this certainly looks a lot less like a map of something than finished games played with the original artwork used to.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 04:36:23 PM »
danisthirty, I got a request: can you make a mixed map of old and new tiles to show how well they actually interact? I know it's been done before, but it would be good to see it in your lighting. Thanks!

Also, my partner said that the cities look like continents or islands on a sea of green. I don't think that is the intention HiG is looking for. I don't like the art of the cities at all. I don't mind the blue domes, but the inside is so dark and ugly and the walls are so white and blah.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 12:14:07 AM »
I don't have the new Edition and I am happy without the new one.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 01:51:19 AM »
I don't have the new Edition and I am happy without the new one.
I think it's a good sign for the community that you're also against the new edition. I hope it is a stand-alone one-off like the Settlers of Catan Gallery Edition. I just don't think people will want this version over the old one if given a choice.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 01:56:03 AM »
danisthirty, I got a request: can you make a mixed map of old and new tiles to show how well they actually interact? I know it's been done before, but it would be good to see it in your lighting.

New mixed with old (quarters):

New mixed with old (stripes):

I was going to do a chequered one but I ran out of time. Instead, I'll see if I can persuade my wife to play a double-base game this evening and will mix the tiles up in a bag. Will take a photo of the resulting landscape and post it here.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:47:35 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »
Sounds great. The mixed board doesn't look as bad as I thought it would and it does highlight the much more populated cities. I assume that the larger farms in the countryside are intended for use in a future expansions. If so, it is a smart forward-thinking move that should have been present in the original printed game. All the same, I still am rooting for the original.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 02:41:13 AM »
Personally, I am not keen on the new art, but the mixed game looks no different than a game with some of the fan expansions or indeed some of the official expansions which have poorer colour consistency.
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 02:46:56 AM »
Maybe a more realistic scenario would be to try the New Edition with one or two major expansions? I'd be curious to see that.

Thanks for sharing your experiments, like a mad scientist mixing potentially explosive elements! :)

EDIT: Just noticed the new city tiles are super crowded, like Carcassonne had a baby boom between the 2 editions or something...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:19:31 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: First Edition, First Print with 70-point scoreboard

Started by Perimones

45 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 01:52:37 AM
by Decar
xx
The Voyages of Marco Polo - First plays, first impressions (image heavy)

Started by franks

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2017, 06:07:57 AM
by franks
xx
A Game with the Wife (new artwork)

Started by danisthirty

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2015, 05:13:29 AM
by Hounk
xx
Selling original artwork to fund new game purchases