Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 2024 times)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
Ender's Game
« on: May 26, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
I don't read.  It's a detriment, really.  I recognize that.  It's not that I can't, or have too much difficulty, but I do read rather slowly and it has always seemed like a chore to me, so I just don't.

That said, I do enjoy the occasional audio book.  I recently listened to Ender's Game and it's sequels, Ender in Exile, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind as well as Ender's Shadow, the first in the companion series which follows a different character from the first book.  I am still hoping to find the rest of the Shadow series so I can finish that. 

These books are written by Orson Scott Card and are really skillfully interwoven and actually rather prophetic in his description of future technology since the first one was written in 1985.  He quite accurately describes the internet and what people use it for, tablets (he calls desks), and other things perhaps yet to be discovered. 

I found the character development to be really excellent.  A common theme with a lot of alien attack stories is the unification of the globe and the resulting common culture.  Having been a Mormon missionary to Brazil, Card paints a really interesting picture of the Portuguese language and culture being infused into the common jargon and even some of the common practices of the people, especially on the battle school space station. 

I enjoyed the movie that came out fairly recently, but it didn't really do justice to the book.  It felt like it was on fast-forward through the whole movie.  It would have been difficult to squeeze it all into a movie though and I think they did pretty well with what they had to work with.  If you've never read them, enjoy future/space epics, or just well-written stories, check them out.  I recommend reading them in chronological order, but you don't have to. 

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1801.0
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:24:53 AM by CKorfmann »
Flee the fleas.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ender's Game
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:48:16 AM »
I really love the SciFi movies and ender's game was really interesting! I only watch the movie and I didn't know it was from a book... Maybe I'll search that in the future. Now I'm reading The Gods Themselves by Asimov after the long Fondation serie experience

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
xx
Superbowl Sunday: 2-player game (base game + I&C)

Started by Scott

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:36:40 AM
by Scott
clip
Carcassonne game notation system for tournament play

Started by DIN0

32 Replies
Last post September 29, 2019, 03:38:59 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
WTS: Dutch 1st edition of the game, including 70 point scoring track