Author Topic: Carcassonne: Star Wars Expansion 1  (Read 20040 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Carcassonne: Star Wars Expansion 1
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 01:50:37 AM »
A close up photo showing the box and tiles with the new 'First Order' symbol.  Courtesy of several Twitter users.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 01:52:33 AM »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 07:27:17 AM »
Looking at the size of the box, it seems that this will be a regular size expansion, as opposed to a mini expansion. Would this be the first time for a spin-off? I think so.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 07:33:37 AM »
Looking at the size of the box, it seems that this will be a regular size expansion, as opposed to a mini expansion. Would this be the first time for a spin-off? I think so.

The Falcon for Carcassonne: the Castle is full-sized, but it's only available as PnP.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 07:40:42 AM »
Only the best spinoffs get full sized expansions  :D
  20 tiles is quite sizeable considering theres 76 in the base game.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 03:53:30 AM »
I asume this is a prototype? The lightsabers look really fragile.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 04:52:30 AM »

I asume this is a prototype? The lightsabers look really fragile.

Yes, I thought the same. Indeed, it doesn't look very good if you zoom in. I hope also that the cover art is not definitive (2 x Kylo Ren is a bit too much imo, but that's a small detail).

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 02:00:12 AM »
BGG just annouced this expansion will be released by HiG in July and attached a couple of pictures.

Looks really neat. I'll see if I can find some more information.  The components look like modifiers to dice rolls but I'm not sure how they are earned.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
Seeing all the new items included in this expansion, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. First, the Bounty Hunters/Scoundrels faction is still woefully underrepresented and now we're adding another underrepresented group? It just seems like Hans im Glück has no idea about Star Wars. Plus there is the 30 year thematic generational gap between the main game and the new expansion's theme. Ugh. This is just like when they tried to put The Phantom Menace into the Star Wars Customizable Card Game back in 2000. It didn't work!

I'm also disappointed that they went with cardboard dice modifiers rather than something more tangible, and that the 50/100 markers look so boring. I've said it before and I will say it again, space-themed games have a tendency to be really boring visually because of all the space/black (desert-themed games suffer the same, except replace space with sand/yellow). Hans im Glück has done almost nothing to make Star Wars Carcassonne visually appealing to me in any way and the theme just does not really work for me anymore. I've played the game twice but it was the first thing volunteered to go back to the US when my sister-in-law visits (she'll also be taking back Ticket to Ride Africa, Netherlands, and Asia because they are heavy and we never play them).

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 12:25:13 AM »
The rules for the Carcassonne Starwars expansion can be found here:
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2851.msg42095;topicseen#new

I believe there are equal numbers of faction icons, so the only thing effectes by adding more is the coop game.  It also makes the existing faction icons worth more to you as there are less in the deck as a whole.

I agree Kylo Ren and the First Order makes little sense thematically.  But you can understand why Disney would want to market their new franchise. I do not think anyone can blame HiG for this, LucasFilms have entire marketing departments that manage this aspect. I suspect HiG came up with the mechanics and had little say over the asthetics.  The game's characters were picked by Disney in the base game.  On the plus side we can find out if Luke Skywalker is better at gloming than Kylo Ren without having to wait for the next 2 films.

I think the dice modifiers are a great addition and you can certainly touch them, unlike lightsabres.  We've not seen this type of mechanic in a Carcassonne game before, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.  Imagine how annoyed you'll be when you get your blaster trapped.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 12:57:42 AM »
Seeing all the new items included in this expansion, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. First, the Bounty Hunters/Scoundrels faction is still woefully underrepresented and now we're adding another underrepresented group? It just seems like Hans im Glück has no idea about Star Wars. Plus there is the 30 year thematic generational gap between the main game and the new expansion's theme. Ugh. This is just like when they tried to put The Phantom Menace into the Star Wars Customizable Card Game back in 2000. It didn't work!

I'm also disappointed that they went with cardboard dice modifiers rather than something more tangible, and that the 50/100 markers look so boring. I've said it before and I will say it again, space-themed games have a tendency to be really boring visually because of all the space/black (desert-themed games suffer the same, except replace space with sand/yellow). Hans im Glück has done almost nothing to make Star Wars Carcassonne visually appealing to me in any way and the theme just does not really work for me anymore. I've played the game twice but it was the first thing volunteered to go back to the US when my sister-in-law visits (she'll also be taking back Ticket to Ride Africa, Netherlands, and Asia because they are heavy and we never play them).

I agree. Down with everything! :(n) >:( :(n)

Seriously though, perhaps the fact that I've never followed Star Wars works in my favour here as I'm able to treat Carcassonne: Star Wars simply as a game rather than getting bogged down in whether there are too many of one type of fictional character compared to other types of fictional character. The game is fun to play and I enjoy it, and I like the sound of this expansion in terms of what it adds to the game. So it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

I dread to think how difficult a job HiG are going to have satisfying you when they release Carcassonne: Pokemon edition whaleyland! :P

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 02:26:49 AM »
I've never played Pokemon, but this sounds like the best idea ever  :(y) :(y) :(y)

Carcassonne: Pokemon edition

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 03:57:07 AM »
lol. 151 unique PokéMeeples. I'd buy it. How do you know I like Pokémon, though? You been Facebook stalking me, Dan? Hmm?!  :@

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 04:08:50 AM »
Stalking? Me? Absolutely 100% not(ish)... >:D

Your posts do pop up on my timeline every now and again though, so I am vaguely aware of how much Pokemon Go has affected your phones battery life lately!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
For Sale: Carcassonne Star Wars (The Expansion)

Started by danisthirty

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2024, 07:24:28 AM
by Maiday
question
Star Wars - Expansion 1

Started by GreyMeeple

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2018, 10:03:44 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
WTB: Star Wars expansion 1