Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXIX  (Read 43089 times)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXIX
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2020, 11:18:50 AM »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline axelsson

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2020, 12:05:52 AM »
A little something has arrived, and I had to admire it, too, just like the Meeple Council  8)

Again, thank you for arranging the quiz! Maybe something similar is coming up also this December?  :red-meeple:

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2020, 03:12:47 AM »
I'm glad you liked the little something.

Well, to be true, the Meeple Council was admiring a Spiel 19 tile... They wanted to maintain the suspense about the prize.

If you enjoyed participating in the quiz, imagine what I enjoyed running it.  ;D

In any case, I will consult with the Meeple Council just to check if they are ready for another round. I think they are now in Bahamas ;)

- The Grinch: You liar! We are just waiting in a box for some action.  >:(
- Meepledrone: Hey! I was covering for you. This is like Instagram. You have to show off fake cuteness and happiness!
- The Grinch: Stop patronizing me! Our public loves us!!!  ;D
- Meepledrone: What I can see is that you do really love being in the spotlight!  8)
- The Grinch: After torturing our participants, you see how they come back asking for more!!! I love it. >:D
- Meepledrone: ... :o
- The Grinch: Am I right, axelsson?

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2020, 01:13:02 PM »
Question 18: The yellow barn receives only 8 points, because the Tanners quarter applies only for farmers (http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Markets_of_Leipzig#cite_note-14).
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 45,600+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2020, 02:39:21 PM »
Question 18: The yellow barn receives only 8 points, because the Tanners quarter applies only for farmers (http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Markets_of_Leipzig#cite_note-14).

Yes, you can see I found out on April 6th 2020 and added that precise clarification to WICA you refer to. Later, on April 7th 2020, I extended the response to question #18 in the quiz explaining this case (scroll to the bottom of the post here):

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4427.msg65473#msg65473

The winner of the quiz wasn't altered so no harm done.  :o

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2021, 04:30:24 PM »
Question #13: Danisthirty is back with another challenge for you. He is completing a city with a watchtower. How many points are Red and Yellow scoring?

Answer #13:

So we will consider both rules versions valid, although I personally prefer the new ones that make more sense to me: every tile you place counts as 1 tile no matter it is a Halfling tile or a double-sized tile (German castle).

New Halfling rules

* Red scores 7 points for the watchtower.
* Yellow scores 8 points for the city

Red's meeple is placed on the watchtower tile and get the bonus: 1 point per tile with at least one road segment. After checking the watchtower tile and the tiles in the eight adjacent spaces, we find 7 tiles with roads segments, including two Halflings and one German castle tile. So the watchtower bonus is 7 points (7 tiles x 1 points per tile.)

On the other hand, Yellow's meeple placed on the hill breaks the tie for the majority so only Yellow scores the city (8 points = 3 tiles x 2 points + 1 coat of arms x 2 points.)

Old Halfling rules

* Red scores 6 points for the watchtower.

Red's meeple is placed on the watchtower tile and get the bonus: 1 point per tile with at least one road segment. After checking the watchtower tile and the tiles in the eight adjacent spaces, we find 6 tiles with roads segments, considering the two Halflings as one tile, and one German castle tile. So the watchtower bonus is 6 points (6 tiles x 1 points per tile.)

On the other hand, Yellow's meeple placed on the hill breaks the tie for the majority so only Yellow scores the city (8 points = 3 tiles x 2 points + 1 coat of arms x 2 points.)

Now Red would score 2 points for the double tile and 1 point for the halflings.

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2021, 04:36:26 PM »
Question #17: Santa Claus needs your help to evaluate this German monastery with a C1 abbot. How many points would Yellow score at the end of the game?

Answer #17:

So we will consider both rules versions valid, although I personally prefer the new ones that make more sense to me: every tile you place counts as 1 tile no matter it is a Halfling tile or a double-sized tile (German castle).

New Halfling rules

Yellow scores 9 points.

Yellow would score 1 point for the German monastery tile and 1 additional point per tile in the columns and rows spanning from that tile until a empty space is found. Note that:
* Halfling tiles are counted individually.
* Triangular gaps are not considered as an empty space as there is a neighbouring Halfling tile.
* Double-sized tiles are counted as one tile (in this case we have German castle tiles.)

Bearing all this in mind, the German monastery scores 9 points as follows:
* German monastery tile: 1 point
* Column above: 2 points (2 tiles x 1 point), including one German castle
* Column below: 3 points (3 tiles x 1 point), including two Halflings in one square space
* Row to the left: 1 point (1 tile x 1 point), including one Halfling ocupying one square space. Note that the square space ends the row.
* Row to the right: 2 points (2 tiles x 1 point), including one Halfling ocupying one square space and a German castle.

Old Halfling rules

Yellow scores 8 points.

Yellow would score 1 point for the German monastery tile and 1 additional point per tile in the columns and rows spanning from that tile until a empty space is found. Note that:
* Two Halfling tiles are counted as one tile if placed on the same square.
* Triangular gaps are not considered as an empty space as there is a neighbouring Halfling tile.
* Double-sized tiles are counted as one tile (in this case we have German castle tiles.)

Bearing all this in mind, the German monastery scores 8 points as follows:
* German monastery tile: 1 point
* Column above: 2 points (2 tiles x 1 point), including one German castle
* Column below: 2 points (2 tiles x 1 point), including two Halflings in one square space considered as one tile together.
* Row to the left: 1 point (1 tile x 1 point), including one Halfling ocupying one square space. Note that the square space ends the row.
* Row to the right: 2 points (2 tiles x 1 point), including one Halfling ocupying one square space and a German castle.

Now it would be 9 points (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Castles_in_Germany#cite_ref-5).

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
Question #18: Danisthirty also wanted to pay homage to his dear friend Decar, the author of countless sketches of scenarios with German castles, Halflings and barns, all of them tagged with a recurring question: "How many farms...?

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2649.0

So here you are Yellow's barn placed on the intersection of two Halflings and the long side of a German castle. Danisthirty needs your help to score this barn, the field occupied by Blue and the meeples in the City of Leipzig. Will you let him down?

Answer #18:
* Blue scores 6 points
* Yellow scores 10 points
* Red scores 0 points

Blue's meeple occupies a field with 2 completed cities, including Leipzig. Thus Blue scores 6 points for the field (2 cities x 3 points.)

Yellow's barn occupies a field with 2 completed cities, including Leipzig. Thus Yellow scores 8 points for the field (2 cities x 4 points). Additionally, Yellow has a meeple in the Tanners Quarter in Leipzig, so Yellow will get 2 bonus points (1 farmhouse in the field x 2 points). As a result, Yellow scores 10 points (8 points for the barn + 2 points for the meeple in Leipzig.)

Red has a meeple in the Tanners Quarter in the city of Leipzig but no farmers. As a result, Red gets no points.

No C1 cottages in the fields are considered. The house rule would affect only those standalone cottages not located at the end of a road.

Update on April 7th, 2020

To my dismay, I realized that the Tanners Quarter bonus does not affect barns but only farmers. The answer to this question would be different as shown below. As a consequence, the scoring for this question would change, but the winner of the quiz stays the same. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Answer #18 - updated:
* Blue scores 6 points
* Yellow scores 8 points
* Red scores 0 points

Blue's meeple occupies a field with 2 completed cities, including Leipzig. Thus Blue scores 6 points for the field (2 cities x 3 points.)

Yellow's barn occupies a field with 2 completed cities, including Leipzig. Thus Yellow scores 8 points for the field (2 cities x 4 points). Although Yellow has a meeple in the Tanners Quarter in Leipzig, barns do not benefit from this bonus, so Yellow does not get any bonus points.

Red has a meeple in the Tanners Quarter in the city of Leipzig but no farmers. As a result, Red gets no points.

Invalid barn placement.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2021, 11:32:32 PM »
Question #18: Danisthirty also wanted to pay homage to his dear friend Decar, the author of countless sketches of scenarios with German castles, Halflings and barns, all of them tagged with a recurring question: "How many farms...?

So here you are Yellow's barn placed on the intersection of two Halflings and the long side of a German castle. Danisthirty needs your help to score this barn, the field occupied by Blue and the meeples in the City of Leipzig. Will you let him down?

Answer #18:
* Blue scores 6 points
* Red scores 0 points

Yellow's barn occupies a field with 2 completed cities, including Leipzig. Thus Yellow scores 8 points for the field (2 cities x 4 points). Additionally, Yellow has a meeple in the Tanners Quarter in Leipzig, so Yellow will get 2 bonus points (1 farmhouse in the field x 2 points). As a result, Yellow scores 10 points (8 points for the barn + 2 points for the meeple in Leipzig.)

No C1 cottages in the fields are considered. The house rule would affect only those standalone cottages not located at the end of a road.

To my dismay, I realized that the Tanners Quarter bonus does not affect barns but only farmers. The answer to this question would be different as shown below. As a consequence, the scoring for this question would change, but the winner of the quiz stays the same. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Answer #18 - updated:
* Blue scores 6 points
* Yellow scores 8 points
* Red scores 0 points

Yellow's barn occupies a field with 2 completed cities, including Leipzig. Thus Yellow scores 8 points for the field (2 cities x 4 points). Although Yellow has a meeple in the Tanners Quarter in Leipzig, barns do not benefit from this bonus, so Yellow does not get any bonus points.

Invalid barn placement.

Ha ha ha!

It was valid back then. I have to revisit the quizzes and add comments on things that have changed since.

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »
Question #13: Danisthirty is back with another challenge for you. He is completing a city with a watchtower. How many points are Red and Yellow scoring?

Answer #13:

New Halfling rules

Red's meeple is placed on the watchtower tile and get the bonus: 1 point per tile with at least one road segment. After checking the watchtower tile and the tiles in the eight adjacent spaces, we find 7 tiles with roads segments, including two Halflings and one German castle tile. So the watchtower bonus is 7 points (7 tiles x 1 points per tile.)

Old Halfling rules

Red's meeple is placed on the watchtower tile and get the bonus: 1 point per tile with at least one road segment. After checking the watchtower tile and the tiles in the eight adjacent spaces, we find 6 tiles with roads segments, considering the two Halflings as one tile, and one German castle tile. So the watchtower bonus is 6 points (6 tiles x 1 points per tile.)

Now Red would score 2 points for the double tile and 1 point for the halflings.
Per Example 5 from https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Castles_in_Germany#Additional_clarifications.

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2021, 03:52:29 PM »

Answer #18:
* Blue scores 6 points
* Red scores 0 points

Answer #18 - updated:
* Blue scores 6 points
* Yellow scores 8 points
* Red scores 0 points

Why the barn should be scored? It is the end of the game?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2021, 12:10:48 PM »

Answer #18:
* Blue scores 6 points
* Red scores 0 points

Answer #18 - updated:
* Blue scores 6 points
* Yellow scores 8 points
* Red scores 0 points

Why the barn should be scored? It is the end of the game?

This scenario shows a scoring after the game.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
Added some notes and rewording to keep up with latest C1/C2 rules for Halflings and double-sized tiles. This affects questions #4, #6, #13, #14, #17 and #22.

New clarifications turned some placements invalid:
* The barn in question #18
* The phantoms as acrobats in question #24.

The ringmaster bonus is not applicable to other features that those in the base game. This cha ge affects question #24. We are waiting for HiG to clarify their final rules (they may extend the ringmaster bonus to all features).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 06:26:17 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2021, 12:55:08 PM »

Answer #13:

C1 Halfling rules

C2 Halfling rules

Edit: Updated to reflect latest rules for C2.

Why 1 point for the German castle?

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2021, 01:05:59 AM »
Because until this year, double tiles were counter as 1 tile. Due to patterns used from City of Leipzig. This clarification was made for new double tile in River 20 years Carcassonne edition
Due to this year clarification that double tiles except city of Leipzig are counter as two tiles, this has to be also updated. Because red will get bonus for 1 point for upper part of double tile for one road there and also 1 point for lower part of double tile with two roads.
I suppose, that was the question, right?

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz

Started by danisthirty

93 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 11:15:42 AM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVII

Started by danisthirty

104 Replies
Last post February 17, 2018, 07:56:46 AM