Author Topic: Inns & Cathedrals League: Group B  (Read 45726 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Inns & Cathedrals League: Group B
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2015, 02:44:12 AM »
@kettlefish - I believe there is a slight mistake in your scoresheet. In one place, Jere vs Rosco is written as 123 - 139 but in the other place it is written as 139 - 127. The correct scores were 139 - 127 so Jere's total score and score differential will be out by 4 points.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Inns & Cathedrals League: Group B
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2015, 06:40:29 AM »
Wow - what a game against Jere

That was intense - Jere is clearly a player of similar style but I think better than I.  I was extremely lucky near the beginning to close a good 39 point cathedral city which set me up for the game.  after that, the race for the big 12 city farm was on.  Jere ended up with 5 farmers to my 3 which was down to a fairly lucky tile with about 12 to go.  I thoroughly enjoyed the game and Jere is a true gentleman. 

Now the competition for first place is sooooooo tight - I wouldnt want to call it.

It was indeed a very good game!  Rosco drew the perfect sequence of tiles, 3 in a row, first one being a city splitter to isolate my double meeple and score 45 points near the beginning of the game. (39pts for city and closing tile also finished a road with inn). Ouch! ...so for the rest of the game I had to recover from this.

I played very well, giving farming lessons to him ;)  I trapped some of his guys too but at the end it did not suffice. :( sincere congratulations Rosco!

I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm dissapointed about my overall performance  in this league. Small details made a BIG difference at the end but it's fine. The important is that I truly enjoyed participating and will follow with interest the remaining games, in the other groups as well. :)

Edit: my personal (secret) objective was to reach the top 4 so I clearly failed. Mind you, I will come back stronger. :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:45:12 AM by Jéré »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2015, 06:57:54 AM »

Jere ended up with 5 farmers to my 3 which was down to a fairly lucky tile with about 12 to go.

Could you elaborate on that? Not sure I understand. Are you talking about the tile you used to free up your double guy? Otherwise there was no luck involved in connecting the fileds (I needed a straight road plus a crrf and we had 3 left).

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2015, 08:49:23 AM »
I was talking about the crrf tile that connected your two farmers in one go.  I hadnt realised there were so many left.  it was a smart move helped a little by luck!
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Yellow - when are you available??

i need to try to beat you by a ton of points so i can put myself in a strong position for a league group win!  But now i have said that I am bound to lose!

lets get it on!!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2015, 09:55:15 AM »

I was talking about the crrf tile that connected your two farmers in one go.  I hadnt realised there were so many left.  it was a smart move helped a little by luck!

It's a question of perception :) I say that I would have been extremely unlucky not to join the fields. I even placed a fccc tile next to the spot, as counter-block measure, and to make sure one of the 3 crrf tiles would fit there! ;) 

Anyway, it seems that it will be difficult to agree on what is lucky and what isn't. Remember at the beginning when you complained in the chat that you were so unlucky with the draws. Well I was trying to trap your meeples like a mad man and you always managed to escape! I said to myself "what is he complaining about?" Haha Always a matter of perception, I tell you. :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »
For what it’s worth, my perspective is that what’s done is done and there can be no going back. Winning or losing to someone doesn’t necessarily mean you’re any better or worse than your opponent, and sometimes you can be beaten by the tiles rather than the player.

In my experience, dealing with disappointment is a big part of the game when you play competitively, but you’re always heading in the right direction as long as you’re satisfied that you played the best game you could at the time, and can treat every defeat as a learning opportunity to help improve your decision-making process for the next game...

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »
@kettlefish - I believe there is a slight mistake in your scoresheet. In one place, Jere vs Rosco is written as 123 - 139 but in the other place it is written as 139 - 127. The correct scores were 139 - 127 so Jere's total score and score differential will be out by 4 points.
Sorry - here comes now the correct x-score list - IC league - group B - 10 03 2015-2

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2015, 12:14:05 PM »
when i wrote about being unlucky, i was, but then my luck improved for a while (massively) to close that nice juicy city.

But as we have said on here many times, luck is all very well but it is what you make of it.  I have played lesser opponents than the likes of Dan or Jere who get the perfect trapping tile or the tile to join a farm or something and they place it somewhere else and i am left thinking - Uh? but that comes with experience and the acquisition of skill.  Obviously Jere is a highly skilled player that even with my luck of closing that city he still came back and left a mere smidgen of points between us.  I feel that with another 5 tiles, he would have won.  A great opponent. 

And Dan - luck does play a huge part in Carcassonne, doesn't it? ;)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2015, 01:11:03 PM »
Yellow is in the chatroom this evening and waiting for an opponent to play a league game.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Yellow is in the chatroom this evening and waiting for an opponent to play a league game.
Yellow is playing with Rosco now.

It is for Rosco the last game in the IC league group B

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »
And Dan - luck does play a huge part in Carcassonne, doesn't it? ;)

To be fair to you, as sick as it made me to see the final scores pop up in your favour I was pretty impressed at how you won it. You were behind and you knew it, but with about 15 or so tiles left to play you identified what you needed to do to win, you spotted an excellent opportunity to make it happen and you had the guts to risk your last meeple on it. As I was desperately trying to defend my position I drew at least 2 of the tiles that could have won it for you so it seems fair that you should have drawn one too.

None of this made it any easier to accept but in all fairness I did think you deserved the win if only for that final play!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »
Yellow vs Rosco
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
Here comes the x-score list - IC-League-Group B 11 03 2015:

Hounk,Jerè and Rosco have played all their 6 games.
All players in Group B have played at least 4 games.

There have been played 17 games total.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
Well done on reaching 4 wins Rosco. Commiserations Yellow...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Inns & Cathedrals League: Group A

Started by danisthirty

105 Replies
Last post April 05, 2015, 12:27:41 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Inns & Cathedrals League: Group C

Started by danisthirty

184 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 01:22:07 AM