Author Topic: Carcassonne Central Online Quiz  (Read 39657 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Carcassonne Central Online Quiz
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »
Amorpheus and I are at http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html right now. Is that the correct locale?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »
Amorpheus and I are at http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html right now. Is that the correct locale?
Yes, I will be there in a few seconds too :)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

• Count
  • Merit: 28
  • updated 2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2017, 09:13:57 PM »
Many Thanks to Mr.Numbers and all who have participated :(y)
 :black1-meeple: :blue-meeple: :green-meeple: :red-meeple: :gray-meeple: :violet-meeple: :pink-meeple: :orange-meeple: :white-meeple: :brown-meeple: :neutral-meeple: :yellow-meeple:

I had a lot of "carcassonne fun" this morning at 5.00am.

Now it's time to go to bed  ;)

;D
I'm looking for:
● Carcassonne shopdisplays (esp.dicegame.+ Minis ger.)
● Carcassonne Στα Κάστρα του Μυστρά (2002) Greek first edition
● Carcassonne - chinese Sur knight kings editions
● ETCOC / WTCOC 2020 commemorative tiles
& more -> https://ibb.co/cCcm4SB

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »
Thanks to all participants! :(y)
Today we had 6 players from completely different parts of the world. Unfortunately we missed Caciej, probably 5am was too much for him :-\

And now - the results!
Questions about spin-offs, especially about Amazonas, were the hardest ones for most of the participants. Probably, they made the difference.

Whaleyland - 18 correct answers out of 30.
BigBoss - 19/30.
Hproctor1478 - 22/30.
Amorpheus - 23/30.
ny1050220 - 23/30.
Mikeagan - 24/30.

Congratulations to Mikeagan! You can choose a prize from the list!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2017, 10:10:27 PM »
Yeah, serious hint for future play-throughs for people: read up on Amazonas before taking the quiz!

I'm not surprised by my bad results, but I am slightly wondering if anybody was looking stuff up on Google during the quiz. After I sent in my answers, I was able to find the answers to five of the questions almost immediately on Google without even needing to click on links. I didn't change my answers, but that would have made a big difference for me. I guess the contest rules weren't clear on that regard.

In any case, good job Mikeagan. You fought hard and won! I bow to your superior knowledge of Amazonas and other random Carcassonne cultural topics.

BigBoss, kind of glad to see you sitting on the bottom end near me. At least I am not the only Carc "pro" to do poorly on this test.

Offline Caciej

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2017, 01:21:01 AM »
Im so sorry guys, I had very long evening yesterday. I actually woke Up and Turn on the laptop but then fell asleep.... :(

Congratulations to you all and the winner :)

Offline Amorpheus

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Hoping this registration sticks :)
    • View Profile
Carcassonne Central Online Quiz
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2017, 04:49:37 AM »
Congrats Mikeagan! Thanks again to Mr Numbers for the fun quiz. You may want to consider stating a rule at the beginning that none of the answers should be googled or otherwise researched while the quiz is taking place. Can't enforce it of course, but put everyone on the honor system. I tried to answer each question quickly so there would be no doubt about looking up answers. My 10 minutes of research before the quiz did come in handy though. I should have included Amazonas in that research!

Offline Amorpheus

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Hoping this registration sticks :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2017, 06:45:09 AM »
Also wanted to mention a website my kids use that may work well for quizzes like this. It's called kahoot.it. You just need to give everyone a code and we could all connect and see how many answers were right/wrong, without showing who got it wrong, and with a timer for each question. I think it tracks scores for the host but not sure. You'd probably still want to have the chat room for discussion while the quiz is going on. Not sure it would work (not clear if it works well with each person on remote devices) but thought I'd mention it in case it's easier for Mr Numbers.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2017, 07:01:38 AM »
Congrats Mikeagan! It was a fun quiz. Echoing from above, I didn't expect to know so much about Amazonas, so it's probably a good time to start with the spin-offs. Thanks again to MrNumbers to host the quiz.

Offline Hproctor1478

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2017, 07:24:45 AM »
Congrats Mikeagan! Also Thanks again to MrNumbers for hosting the quiz.  I really enjoyed the quiz and apparently I  really need to get Amazonas & Gold Rush, I may have done a bit better then emoji code6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2017, 07:44:33 AM »
Well done everyone who took part - it looked to be a very close batter for top place!

+1 merit to Mr Numbers for running the contest - and for getting up so early to do it too  :(y) :(y)

Is it now safe to discuss the questions - I am still interested to know precisely how many 'spin-offs' there are :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »
You are welcome, ladies and gentlemen! :D Glad you liked the event ;)
You may want to consider stating a rule at the beginning that none of the answers should be googled or otherwise researched while the quiz is taking place. Can't enforce it of course, but put everyone on the honor system. I tried to answer each question quickly so there would be no doubt about looking up answers.
10 seconds rule (Nr. 3) implies that you should answer quickly and shouldn't google the answers. Some participants spent far more than 10 seconds for some answers, but I can't be sure about the reason - in previous run, for example, Just a Bill had terrible Internet connection and that is why answered to the questions with a delay.
Also wanted to mention a website my kids use that may work well for quizzes like this. It's called kahoot.it.
Thanks, I'll take a look at this website.
Im so sorry guys, I had very long evening yesterday. I actually woke Up and Turn on the laptop but then fell asleep.... :(
I am sorry for you, Caciej, it was really too early :o

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
What a close contest.  Congrats Mikeagan!

I must say the temptation to run down stairs and grab Amazonas was great  >:D, but I didn't do it.   Later I asked my wife about the Amazonas question I got wrong and she knew it without hearing the multiple choice questions.   I guess she is more observant than I. 

Offline Mikeagan

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • I am interested in any expansion for CARC2.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
I think I'd like the Japanese Monastery's. I will PM my address to you MrNumbers.

I don't own any spin offs, but I've downloaded several manuals and read through them to see if there is any interesting rules that I could integrate into regular Carcassonne. I did look through them before the quiz. But to be honest, I feel like I had quite a few lucky guesses and was pleasantly surprised I won.

As to internet connection, my apartment complex provides WiFi, but it isn't the best and goes in and out sometimes especially between 6pm - 10pm pacific time. I had to refresh the chat page during the quiz once. I can't play online multiplayer games like Starcraft 2 & Civilization 5 without getting booted from games for lost connection, but I can't complain because it's included with the rent.
My CARC2 homemade expansions:
SUMMER GINGERBREAD MAN.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2017, 04:09:31 AM »
Because we are an online community, there will always be doubts over whether everyone is "playing fair" whenever we have any kind of competition. And I don't think fairness can ever be guaranteed either. Ultimately, it's good-spirited participation that people respect regardless of who won, and I think most people are aware of this by now...

I was quite impressed to see that 60% correct was the lowest score. I would have been quite pleased if I'd scored that regardless of what the winning score was!

Well done to everyone who took part, and a big thanks (and +1 merit of course) to MrNumbers for going the extra mile yet again to make this quiz happen.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A History of Online Competition at Carcassonne Central

Started by danisthirty

27 Replies
Last post February 13, 2017, 03:42:03 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXX

Started by Meepledrone

210 Replies
Last post November 03, 2021, 09:48:24 AM