Author Topic: Clarification of rules - by call with HiG - 12 03 2015  (Read 11595 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification of rules - by call with HiG - 12 03 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 05:27:12 AM »
I have finished the clarification of rules - 12 03 2015.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 06:00:23 AM »
11. Can the abbot from Carcassonne II be placed on a tower? (Presumably not, since he must be played to a monastery or garden.)
The figure Abbot is a follower. That means the Abbot can be placed on a tower, but it is a waste to abstain from the special property of the Abbot. Also it would not easy to put the Abbot on the top of a tower tile.

In my opinion, this goes in contradiction with footnote 242:
Question: Can the mayor, the wagon, or the barn be placed on top of a tower? Answer: No, the deployment of these figures is limited to the features described in the rules.
Mayor also is a follower, but it cannot be placed on the top of the tower.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 06:48:06 AM »
11. Can the abbot from Carcassonne II be placed on a tower? (Presumably not, since he must be played to a monastery or garden.)
The figure Abbot is a follower. That means the Abbot can be placed on a tower, but it is a waste to abstain from the special property of the Abbot. Also it would not easy to put the Abbot on the top of a tower tile.

Question: Can the mayor, the wagon, or the barn be placed on top of a tower? Answer: No, the deployment of these figures is limited to the features described in the rules.
I know this footnote 242 - that came from mjharper.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 06:53:23 AM »
Thanks for all the updates kettlefish! Merit for you  :(y)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 07:11:39 AM »

Not sure about the abbot but on the mayor argument in my opinion it make sense not allowing the Mayor on top of the tower, since the "value" of the Mayor as a follower is given by the pennants on the city, unless the tower is on the cccc tile (with pennant) I would no consider the Mayor as playable, the same way it can be placed on roads.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 08:59:45 AM »
Thanks for these great rules updates, kettlefish!

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
Thank you for all of these clarifications, kettlefish! However, there are two of the rulings that i don't like.

As has been noted in comments above, this contradicts the base rule that the abbot must be placed on either a cloister or garden. It also contradicts previous clarifications regarding other limited followers (mayor, wagon). I don't have a problem with the abbot using a "movement feature" (flier or magic portal), since he doesn't end up on that feature, but it doesn't make sense to end up on a feature/structure that is outside the basic text of his rule. If we say that we can put an abbot on a tower, why can't he go in a city? Followers can go there, too.

14. What happens when a player is in possession of the Teacher, and another (unoccupied) road from the school is completed before any points are scored? Presumably the holder of the Teacher receives those points for the unoccupied road, as other expansions (castles, Count) indicate that all completed features “score,” even if nobody receives the points.
No, there are no points for the player who finished the (unoccupied) school road and also no scoring points for the owner of the teacher. The teacher goes back to the school and the ohter player who finished the school road gets the teacher.

This is probably the correct call, but I'm still not sure that I like it.  I agree that the first holder of the teacher shouldn't get points, since the rule states that the points are awarded "when the next feature is completed and scored" (and castles and Count don't require the "scoring" part of the equation). The rule also states that the teacher is returned to the school "after scoring points with the teacher." Since that doesn't happen here, the first player should get to hold onto the teacher. BUT, the first part of the rule states that the player who completed the road obtains the teacher after scoring; it doesn't say that the player has to take the teacher from the school. In this case, the second player should actually be taking the teacher directly from the first player. The overall result is as kettlefish describes it though -- player 2 now has the teacher, and nobody got points.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:48:08 AM by obervet »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
The Abbot is a follower like a wagon and like a mayor.
Theoretically he can be placed on the top of the tower,
but practically how? The Abbot has no legs. Perhaps placed on its side but then the Abbot don't stand on the top of a tower tile...

I personally would never use figures like wagon, mayor or abbot for the tower.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Clarification of rules - Call with HiG - 14 01 2013

Started by kettlefish

13 Replies
Last post February 15, 2013, 05:21:20 PM
by kettlefish
xx
Clarification of rules - with HiG - 08 10 2015

Started by kettlefish

140 Replies
Last post July 12, 2016, 06:53:12 AM