Linked Events

• Spiel 2013 with Comic Action at Essen: October 24, 2013 - October 27, 2013

Author Topic: Spiel 2013 at Essen  (Read 57011 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Spiel 2013 at Essen
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2013, 03:26:21 AM »
Nobodys here. No udo and no tronn. There is a thomas, but he doesnt know about it.
Thomas knows our place with the whiteboard.
Did you ask him if Udo is around somewhere?

That is the typical chaos at Spiel...

Ask if you can write a message on the whiteboard and when you will be back at the booth.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:44:12 PM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Here are some pictures of our members meeting in the gallery at CarcF.

http://www.carcassone-forum.de/gallery/album.php?album_id=10

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:25:09 AM by kettlefish »

Offline evmillan

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
Here are some pictures of our members meeting int the gallery at CarcF.

http://www.carcassonne-forum.de/gallery/album.php?album_id=10

Nice pictures.  :(y)

Best regards for all of you!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:25:31 AM by kettlefish »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2013, 08:19:50 AM »
This is a short report what I have written to Scott:
We were around 16 people and Klaus-Juergen and Udo (Carcassonne-on-Tour) were looking at us also Thomas from Herner Spielezentrum.

I met MrNumbers - that was one of my highlights - he comes from Latvia.
Also I met Carcatronn - he presented some of his items from his Shoppe, but not for selling, only for promotion.
The items are looking good at the whiteboard.

I've talked with Barbara Nostheide from Spielbox and the complete HiG team.
Some rule clarification with Georg Wild, but I have to say, that I can't clear all questions, because the time was so short to talk about it.

And the members meeting was great. They all took photos with Klaus-Juergen and they have now their signs from him and they played the Carcassonne-South Sea...

My members at CarcF gave me a gift: The Mueller Edition...

Klaus-Juergen has now his birthday fan-expansion...

Interesting - the surprising bags were not there - we looked here and there no one knows - it costs around half an hour to find the big box with all the small bags... That is a typical chaos at the exhibition...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:21:23 AM by kettlefish »

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2013, 03:22:59 PM »
I just got back from two very long, but awesome days at Spiel!

On Friday we arrived at 11:00 and I went straight to the Tournament area to wait for other members and Udo (nobody from the booth seemed to know where he was). I waited till 12:25 and decided to leave and come back later. When I returned later I met Carcatronn and his friend. Amazingly kind people!

Udo was also there and gave me the goodie bag! I was flabbergasted to find Die Belagerer tiles inside! Awesome stickers and signed tiles from Klaus! After that we tried desperately to find a spot a play South Seas, which we finally managed to do, but we had to play it standing up... 8)
I really like the colors/artwork, but have to get used to no scoring taking place during the game (not really). Tronn, it was really great to meet you and thank you so much for the die! Hope we'll be able to play a game of carc again sometime soon.  :blue-meeple:

On Saturday I participated in a meeple-stacking contest and won a copy of The Windrosen. My friend played twice, but unfortunately lost both times.
I also got the Festival and Freitag tiles and The Spielbox magazine with a different Windrose.

All in all a pretty good Spiel again. Unfortunately the hotel was not that good and I hardly slept, so the second day Spiel was very tiring. The fair was also very crowded on Saturday imo. Next year we'll probably go on Thursday and Friday, like we did last year.

Also, thank you Kettlefish for arranging the goodie bags! It was really appreciated and made my day! Hope we'll meet next year.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
Hi Khonnor,
I am happy to "hear" that you and Carcatronn met each other and that you have now your bag.
The HiG team was very hard working last week to pack all the bags (the small one and the big one for each member).
In your big bag is also the small bag.

I hope you enjoy it... I was not sure if you would meet Klaus-Juergen, so I put a autograph card from him inside the bag.

We like to make the members meeting for both forums (Carcassonne-Forum and CarcassonneCentral) as a regular institution. The best day is the Thursday at Spiel, because there is each year a small tournament for Carcassonne and thematically that will work fine together.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
At CarcF facebook we have some more photos from Thursday:

https://www.facebook.com/CarcassonneForum/photos_stream
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:56:38 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Joaquim00

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2013, 04:44:41 AM »
As for me, I haven't felt so ignored as a non-White person for a long time.  I had an entire day of 'don't know', 'ask that other person', or 'I'll come back to you later'. The only person whom I managed to have more than one line of conversation was the Dutch national champion, who talked to me in a friendly, but slightly condescending manner, but at least he bothered to talk to me.

I made some purchases, but otherwise I gave up and went to Duesseldorf where people spoke to me politely in Japanese.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »
Hi Carcatronn,
the Umlaute doesn't work here at CarcC.
You can write: Klaus-Juergen Wrede - the ue is the other form from the Umlaut u.

Offline Carcatronn

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2013, 01:39:45 PM »
Just got back from my very long trip to Europe. The first part was in France and was definitely the highlight of the trip! Playing Carcassonne in Carcassonne had always been a dream of mine and was finally fulfilled.  :blue-meeple: The castles and countryside were simply breathtaking and is definitely a place I will travel back to.

The second part was in Germany for Spiel. Meeting kettlefish, Khonner, Ratz65, and all of the other forum members was so much fun! Had starter tiles from all of the Carcassonne games signed by Klaus-Jurgen Wrede, and had an exclusive interview with him upstairs in the press-conference area with all of the new releases. Got some games of South Seas in with a few different forum members with Udo from Carcassonne On Tour helping us with the rules. Had a few meetings with Moritz and the HiG team as well. Lastly, was able to hunt down the last copy of Carcassonne The City (wooden box first edition) at the fair literally as they were closing down.  8)

All in all, had a very fun, relaxing, and eventful trip.
PM me for for a list of remaining items from the Carcassonne Shoppe.

Offline Carcatronn

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »
Hi Carcatronn,
the Umlaute doesn't work here at CarcC.
You can write: Klaus-Juergen Wrede - the ue is the other form from the Umlaut u.

Thanks kettlefish :)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
Khonnor, Carcatronn,
I've called today with Udo.
He sent to you many greetings.
He is happy to met you at Spiel 2013 in Essen.
He told me that on Friday the tournament area from HiG was full with the Stone Age tournament. So you both (and your friends) had to play somewhere else...

I think next year on Thursday - that is the best day to play Carcassonne...

Offline Joff

• Authors
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2013, 12:16:23 AM »
As for me, I haven't felt so ignored as a non-White person for a long time.  I had an entire day of 'don't know', 'ask that other person', or 'I'll come back to you later'. The only person whom I managed to have more than one line of conversation was the Dutch national champion, who talked to me in a friendly, but slightly condescending manner, but at least he bothered to talk to me.

I made some purchases, but otherwise I gave up and went to Duesseldorf where people spoke to me politely in Japanese.
That is absolutely disgraceful. I am very sorry you had that negative experience >:(

Offline evmillan

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »

I'm so sorry about your disappointing experience at Essen.  :-[

Offline Joaquim00

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »
(Thank you for the support from some of you. Still feeling very distressed after a week.

At many stalls I would stand at the counter, the counter-person would (pretend to) be busy doing some other things, and then served customers who arrived after me. I knew that it wasn't a language problem, because often they would be speaking in English with those other customers. And then there were the people whom I wanted to ask questions from, and then they would pretend to have not heard me, or tell me that they were busy, or they had to ask someone else, and then forgot that I existed.

I remember there were two hotdog stalls, not very far apart from each other in the corridor between Hall 1 and 3.  One was staffed by a White middle-aged lady, and the other by a Black young lady. At least when I was there, the stall staffed by the White lady had a queue, and the stall staffed by the Black lady was empty. I chose the stall that didn't have a queue. I could tell from her tone, and her facial expression, that she hasn't been very busy that day.

I was there watching the German tournament for quite some time. (I saw some marvelous moves that I learnt from, thanks.) There was also a meeple-stacking table. People were invited to meeple-stack, but then perhaps I look uninterested, or perhaps I was invisible, I was never invited. At one point, I realised that I was standing at a position too close to the meeple-stacking table, and I would be in the way of people who wanted to meeple-stack. Before I had the chance to move away, the meeple-stacking table was moved away from me. Perhaps they were packing up, but then the table was certainly still there at its new location for quite some time, less than 5 steps away from its original location.

People whom I managed to get a response from were mostly polite, and I think most do not have overt xenophobic feelings. However, many seem to not know how to interact with a non-White person. This is quite different from the Germany that I knew; I've had extended stays in Germany, I live on the German border, I worked for a German research institute, and many of my current colleagues are German. This is one of the most scarring experiences I've had in Europe.)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Clarification of rules-Talk with HiG-Georg Wild at Spiel 2013 in Essen

Started by kettlefish

22 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 06:21:44 PM
by Carcking
xx
BGG.CON 2013 - Dallas, Texas - November 20-24th, 2013

Started by Bixby

8 Replies
Last post November 19, 2013, 05:40:59 PM