Author Topic: [LV] Carcassonne tournament 2016  (Read 7517 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
[LV] Carcassonne tournament 2016
« on: February 12, 2016, 04:26:52 AM »
I continue to organize annual [live] tournaments with expansions and this year it will take part on Sunday, 28.02. The format is pretty much the same, as it was in previous year, with minor changes, such as:
1. Distribution into groups will be based on players' rating, which is earned for participating in previous tournaments. New players will be distributed randomly.
2. As tournament rules state - players will not play the same expansion twice during this tournament. Now they will not play also their last year's played expansions.
Udo Schmitz was so kind to send me signed tiles for every participant, and small prizes for first 3 places. These prizes come in addition to common prizes: two expansions of winner's choice and Carcassonne meeple-shaped photo-frame.
This year participant amount is limited to 24. For now 19 participants already registered.

P.S. Jungleboy, you must book you tickets to Riga now! ;)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2444.0
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: [LV] Carcassonne tournament 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 04:42:41 AM »

Haha, I would love to, but I'll already be in Rome that weekend. Maybe you can give me a bit more notice next year? :)

Good luck with the tournament, I hope it goes well!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 04:49:04 AM »

Haha, I would love to, but I'll already be in Rome that weekend. Maybe you can give me a bit more notice next year? :)

Good luck with the tournament, I hope it goes well!

Deal! ;) If nothing will change during the year, local bar, where I host my events, reserved for me every month's last Sundays. So, next tournament likely to happen on 26.02.2017. And don't tell me this is short notice! ;D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 05:14:03 AM »
Deal! ;) If nothing will change during the year, local bar, where I host my events, reserved for me every month's last Sundays. So, next tournament likely to happen on 26.02.2017. And don't tell me this is short notice! ;D

That is my birthday, so it's unlikely. But I appreciate the notice :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:49:45 AM »
So, it has happened! This Sunday my 4th tournament took place. There were 24 participants, including zone2, which took absent player's place. 67 games were played in total (1 game didn't take place because one of the participants left the tournament). All tables at the bar were full of Carcassonne gamers :)

Photo gallery on Facebook

Group stage overall table
A group detailed table
B group detailed table
C group detailed table
D group detailed table

Till the last game in group stage there was fight for the quarterfinals. In one of the groups only points difference decided the qualifier for QF. Every point matters!

In QF last year's tournament winner lost his game. As a reminder, same happened last year, when zone2, being active champion, lost his game in QF. On a side note, in QF all group winners lost their games!

Final stage table

For the bronze medal game randomly were picked up expansions "Robber" (Mini 6) and "Catapult". In fact, Catapult was in play 3 times during the tournament and many (yes, MANY) people actually liked it! Maybe, because were are relatively new to Carcassonne? Or they just like it's fun? ;)

Final game were played with "Traders and Builders" and "Tower". All tower pieces were used and till the last tile winner was unknown. After final scoring Denis celebrated his victory! He overtook his opponent only by 3 points!

It was very successful event, everyone liked it, and many of the participants wanted to buy some expansions they played at the tournament. So, the main idea of my website keeps alive - Carcassonne in Latvia becomes more and more popular! :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:08:11 AM »
Well Done!  Thanks for the update!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:12:56 AM »
Well done MrNumbers, I'm glad that all your hard work resulted in such a successful event! :) :(y)

Traders & Builders + The Tower sounds like a good combination for the final.

Did you take part? How did zone2 get on? Did you point anyone to Carcassonne Central so that they might take part in any online tournaments here?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 05:35:38 AM »
Did you take part? How did zone2 get on? Did you point anyone to Carcassonne Central so that they might take part in any online tournaments here?

As always, I was busy with management: distributing expansions and game protocols, managing pairs for playing, explaining the rules and many more, in other words, no, I didn't participate. Zone2 initially was there to help me to manage the event, but when one participant didn't show up, he agreed to participate. He ended up 4th in his group (and 19th in total), but one of his wins was noteworthy - zone2 was the only one who defeated future tournament winner! It happened with "Abbey and Mayor" expansion. Zone2 is the winner of A&M league for a reason! :D By the way, I have a photo of him with the trophy. I will upload it shortly.
Good move was to use local TV set to stream group stage table, so everyone could follow his and opponents' progress in the tournament live, without making a crowd around my laptop :)
I mentioned online tournaments, but for now there were not so big interest in these. Maybe it needs a little bit more time for people to get used to expansions and online play in particular.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 05:44:22 AM »
Well done from me too and merit for you. It sounds like it was a great day!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 06:30:40 AM »
Well done from me too and merit for you. It sounds like it was a great day!

Thanks, jungleboy! Yes, it was great, but very long day: I was there already at 11:00, but was at home only after 21:00!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Welcome Tournament 2016

Started by Decar

256 Replies
Last post January 07, 2017, 02:36:52 AM
by Adrornalin
xx
Spiel 2016 - in Essen, Germany - 13.-16.10.2016

Started by kettlefish

84 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 10:51:18 AM