Author Topic: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei  (Read 88654 times)

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
Re: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2017, 11:43:09 PM »
I will buy it, but I like what Safari said on CarcF about something more medieval, may be like my lady carcas expansion, something more fantasy and epic.  :black1-meeple:

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »
I will buy it, but I like what Safari said on CarcF about something more medieval, may be like my lady carcas expansion, something more fantasy and epic.  :black1-meeple:
Well, I said the same here, just a bit shorter:  ;D
However, I'd have preferred something like "Troubadour & Jester". Circuses are just so NOT medieval. I truly believe that there would have been plenty of potential in Jesters, Minstrels and Troubadours, acrobats, jugglers, conjurers, feasts and fairs. Wouldn't it have been lovely to see our princess playing with her jester and troubadours trying to appease the dragon?

I probably won't buy it unless they sell it in a Big Box together with at least the base game, the abbots and the new river for a very good price (I think of something like the 26–29 euros I paid for BB 4 back then). :D
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

• Count
  • Merit: 28
  • updated 2022
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:54:26 AM by BigBoss »
I'm looking for:
● Carcassonne shopdisplays (esp.dicegame.+ Minis ger.)
● Carcassonne Στα Κάστρα του Μυστρά (2002) Greek first edition
● Carcassonne - chinese Sur knight kings editions
● ETCOC / WTCOC 2020 commemorative tiles
& more -> https://ibb.co/cCcm4SB

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »
Done...
Your order has not been processed yet.  :black1-meeple:

Offline LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

• Count
  • Merit: 28
  • updated 2022
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:54:42 AM by BigBoss »

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
Thanks for this link BigBoss. I have sent this off to a friend of a friend for translation into English in the hope that it is done before my order gets here, (currently on its way from Germany).  :(y)

Offline Neprofík

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2017, 10:59:51 AM »
So, what is the current official stance on redrawing the tiles in the old-artwork style? Is a remake of this planned?

I mean, I'm going to buy it either way – for the box and the figures – but I'd like to know if I'll be able to use this in my games with all the old expansions as well (would like to try some interactions), due to the fact I lack the skills to remake it myself and combining the two is... eh... no, thanks.

Also, does anyone understand the purpose of the tent, other than making the tile in question easier to spot at first glance? I mean, there is always only one token in the game at any given time, isn't there? No reason to mark the place with an additional figure other than improving the readability and aesthetic value. I find it kind of interesting. I don't remember ever seeing an essentially "pointless" piece of wood in the game before.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:03:41 AM by Neprofík »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
Given the current status of fan-expansions here at CarcC, I highly doubt you'll find an old-style remake here I'm afraid.  Even before we get into the legals.  If we hosted the artwork, I suspect it would be seen as a way for people to NOT buy the new expansion; and that would make us liable for loss of earnings from HiG & all the other publishers.

I can't stop you doing them yourself though.

As far as my German goes: like this:

You draw a tile that needs a hut.  You hide an animal marker under it - then put you hut on top of it.  You may then play a meeple like normal.  When a new tile is draw you move the hut (then the hidden marker is scored).  Each Meeple (in the surrounding 9) scores the points on the animal marker.

So the tent just marks (and hides) the current circus, which moves around the map.  I guess you could do it without the tent, and just flip the markers.

Offline Neprofík

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2017, 12:43:57 PM »
Ok, thank You for Your answer. I fully understand how this might be problematic, so I won't hold my breath for it.

I mean, I know I would buy the expansion anyway – the game is an intellectual property and I would feel like a thief if I just simply printed it at home without paying a cent to the publisher. But I understand this would not be true for all.

Perhaps I'll try to make some for my own personal use, although I don't consider myself a good artist at all and would probably rather go with an unfitting professional design than an unfitting homemade one.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »
It's a rock and a hard place I'm afraid - thankfully I've come to terms with the new artwork and quite happily play with a mish-mash of artwork so long as the game functions (and space/time is preserved).

Welcome to the forum by the way - I didn't notice it was your first post  :(y)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
So, what is the current official stance on redrawing the tiles in the old-artwork style? Is a remake of this planned?

I mean, I'm going to buy it either way – for the box and the figures – but I'd like to know if I'll be able to use this in my games with all the old expansions as well (would like to try some interactions), due to the fact I lack the skills to remake it myself and combining the two is... eh... no, thanks.
Until someone creates an old artwork variant (I assume it will rather happen at the German forum) you can try this expansion with the Catapult tiles by slightly modified rules. Of course the tile configurations are different but still it's lot of fun.

Also, does anyone understand the purpose of the tent, other than making the tile in question easier to spot at first glance? I mean, there is always only one token in the game at any given time, isn't there? No reason to mark the place with an additional figure other than improving the readability and aesthetic value. I find it kind of interesting. I don't remember ever seeing an essentially "pointless" piece of wood in the game before.
Indeed, the rules say that the animal tokens should be removed from the game after circus scoring ("Nach der Wertung nimmst du das Tierplättchen aus dem Spiel und legst es offen neben die Auslage") though I was a bit surprised by reading that.
But there is something in the rules that surprised me even more: at the end of the game the artists gain the 5 points even if the pyramid isn't complete.
("Am Ende des Spieles erhältst du für jeden Artisten-Meeple ebenfalls 5 Punkte, egal wie weit die Pyramide gebaut wurde.")
I thought artists should present some spectacular performance to get points, but what is the spectacle if the meeple is standing alone?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2017, 01:58:38 PM »
Perhaps they're a tumbler- a solo act?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2017, 06:33:02 AM »
Question for those of you with a copy:  did they fix the terrible watermarks?

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2017, 06:48:36 AM »
My watermarks appear to be sound. Will attach a photo when I get home.

Offline Neprofík

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
It's a rock and a hard place I'm afraid - thankfully I've come to terms with the new artwork and quite happily play with a mish-mash of artwork so long as the game functions (and space/time is preserved).

Welcome to the forum by the way - I didn't notice it was your first post  :(y)

Oh, thank you.  :)

I used to lurk a lot on this forum, so I didn't realize it was my first post either.  :D We have just finished our collection so I'm kind of enthusiastic now.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTS or Trade: Expansion 10 - Under the Big Top (Factory Sealed)

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 11:17:25 AM
by asp204
xx
The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll

Started by jungleboy

32 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 12:56:54 PM
by jungleboy
xx
The Barbarian Report: Under the Big Top