Author Topic: Carcassonne Highlights in 2016  (Read 18737 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Highlights in 2016
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Who are you kidding Paul? - You know giving away an infamous Dan Chard signed tile was the highlight of your year :D

Those things are so hard to comeby as well. I've been searching eBay for one for much of the last few years...

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »
The only other person I know who has one is KJW himself!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 03:27:50 PM »
Undoubtly it's the world record game set on Mars 2016 playing a single game of Carcassonne using over 10 thousand tiles that trumped everything.

Wait, how on earth (or not as the case may be) did I miss this? Not only did you play a game of Carcassonne with 10,000 tiles, but you went to another planet to do it?! Merit to you for being the first man to set foot on Mars... :) :(y)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 03:31:26 PM »
danisthirty,
that is the real reason why we never heard the end of the story, because Paul is no more in Sweden he is still staying at the Mars...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »
Aha! So now the truth is coming out...

I guess the wifi isn't so good on Mars either, which explains why he isn't able to visit the forums so much anymore.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »
You know what else rhyme with Mars?

Seriously though, that is a highlight in itself I suppose, for sending out the signed tile. Reason why I made that mistake (not realising what the signed tile was) I'd say due to that I'm quite humble, never thought I'd get a signed anything or any other rarities.

And for those that may wonder what word I was thinking, rotate the M in Mars 90 degree left and put it at the end of that word...

;)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 03:59:55 PM »
The signed tile was not from danisthirty, it was from Doris Matthäus herself - the great graphic artist for the CC I standard edition.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 04:57:53 PM »
The signed tile was not from danisthirty, it was from Doris Matthäus herself - the great graphic artist for the CC I standard edition.

Yes, sent by you! Forever thankful.

I was sorting in haste and so I made the mistake.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
January
For Xmas 2015 I received Carcassonne.  We played the heck out of it in January and it quickly became my favorite game. 

February
Sometimes a low-light becomes a highlight.  I search online for information about expansions and find that I have an old art copy.  This seems like terrible news as the new art is taking over and everything that matches my set is out of print.   I have to decide whether or not to buy a new art copy or attempt collecting the old art.  After seeing the new art, I decide to go with the old. 

I discover this awesome forum.  Nobody here would sell me a copy of Inns & Cathedrals.  That is ok since shipping from Europe would have been $$$$

I call every game store in the Baltimore and Washington DC area.  I am able to acquire Abbey and Mayor and Hills & Sheep.  I also order GQ11 off of Ebay.

March
We play a ton of Carcassonne with Abbey and Mayor plus Hills & Sheep.  Hills and Sheep is still my wife and son's favorite expansion.  I got married on March 31st and my wife gifts me the 6 mini expansions (Goldmines, Ferries, etc).  I buy pretty much anything Cundco can fit in a small envelope.  We love the halflings. 

April was the best month
I turn to Ebay for more expansions.  I luck out and find Inns & Cathedrals for $19.  I find an old original print copy of Traders and Builders, but I have to overpay for it ($28).

A trip to Frederick Maryland turns out to be a boon for my old art collection.  We promised my son we would get him a couple of comic books if he was good on the car ride.  Inside the Frederick comic shop is a case of board games.   Included are Princess & Dragon, Count King & Robber, and Bridges Castles & Bazaars.  They also had Abbey and Mayor + Traders and Builders.  I wish I had bought them too, but at the time having 2 of the same expansion seemed foolish.

Kettlefish gives us a head up and I was able to order the Tunnels and The Plague from Spielbox.  Spiel Doch comes out and Christopher and I go back and forth with how to use the maze. 

May/June
I created Carcassonne themed pathtags.  I don't think many people outside of this community have them yet. 

December
Dan has a Spare Parts giveaway.  I claim a copy of besiegers from Yimhj who sent them to me for free.  I also receive Watch Towers and an Autographed scorecard from Dan Chard KJW!

I doubt next year can compete with this one.  I am looking forward to the gaming table I ordered, but I think I got as much old art Carcassonne as I am going to get.   
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:17:39 PM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »
Dirk - your 2016 seems to be like mine.  It was all good up until June....then it was December!! (+1 merit for sharing)

Edit: whoot 3100 posts & 150 merits

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 01:42:42 AM »
I've been wanting to sit down since December to write something here, but finding it hard to get started at the moment.

I'd forgotten about your epic month-by-month recap from the year before. Great stuff this year too! (Or at least this half-year.)

I'd also forgotten about the completionism polls that I started. They were a great success so I should add them to my 2016 highlights!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 02:04:44 AM »
You know what else rhyme with Mars?

And for those that may wonder what word I was thinking, rotate the M in Mars 90 degree left and put it at the end of that word...

But - Mars and A**E doesn't rhyme.

Offline lomdr

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
Though, you have to make sure that your phantoms are distinct enough to look different to a regular meeple, coming from someone who got a bunch of meeps from MeepleSource and used 6 of them for the Phantoms.

2 notable events in 2016: playing the game with someone that enjoyed it so much that they bought a copy themselves and getting signed up to demo Carc this past monday.  Granted, the demo happened this year, but still.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 01:52:44 AM »
I have a couple of highlights during year 2016:
- in February I had my annual Carcassonne [live] tournament with expansions, which again had a big success. Now I am preparing for this year's tournament, 5th already.
- in April I have won P&D League and became first person to win two online competitions (second such person became Leven later this year by winning World Cup 2016).
- in May Klaus-Jürgen Wrede together with Udo Schmitz visited my home country Latvia, and there was outstanding Carcassonne game event, including KJW piano concert and playing Amazonas prototype with the author himself.
- in October it was all about Essen: unforgettable Carcassonne event with all HiG big ones, meeting many CarcC and CarcF members (Dan, Decar, Jungleboy and others), winning Carcassonne Quiz, got lucky and participated in Carcassonne World championship and was only one tile away from the semifinals (still 6th place overall).
- in December Hans im Glück used a photo of my daughter to illustrate their Christmas greetings.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:35:46 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Dan is included :) »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 01:58:57 AM »
Nice highlights MrNumbers! But surely meeting me should be included? Unless you're saving that as a highlight of the decade like everyone else?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Baseball Highlights 2045

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2017, 04:01:25 AM
by Decar
xx
Highlights of 2015

Started by danisthirty

13 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 01:44:40 AM