Poll

Which bonus do you prefer when playing with Friday?

Bonus Wares
0 (0%)
Discounted Ware costs for Ships
3 (33.3%)
Trading
0 (0%)
Forced retrieval of Islanders
0 (0%)
I generally just choose one that will immediately benefit me.
0 (0%)
I don't ever play with or don't own Friday.
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: September 04, 2015, 04:00:57 PM

Author Topic: Friday – Element of the Week #50  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Friday – Element of the Week #50
« on: August 28, 2015, 04:00:57 PM »
ELEMENT OF THE WEEK: FRIDAY

Carcassonne has definitely taken strange turns in the past ten years, so these few expansions may not be in your knowledge bank, but that doesn't make them any less official (or does it?). So as we conclude this series over the next few weeks, feel free to express any form of praise or criticism you may have for these off-beat elements.

This week, we present FRIDAY (from Carcassonne: Around the World #1: South Seas). I must admit up front that I have never played this game and have only read the rules (two or three times, I think). I do own it, but it sits unopened in Arizona as I type, and will be remaining there for the foreseeable future unfortunately. In any case, the stand-alone game South Seas delays the scoring mechanics of normal Carcassonne until the end of the game by having players collect "Wares" and "Ships" which are then traded in a sort of Stone Age-style mechanic. Wares can be used to stock Ships and then the Ships are worth points at game end. It is a rather unique take on the general Carcassonne experience. Friday, the first and only expansion for South Seas, adds six new tiles and a new figure to the game. The expansion requires a new set-up procedure to recreate weeks (meaning that a draw bag is not allowed when playing with Friday), which are essential to recreating the Friday story. Whenever a pile is depleted, a new tile is added to "Friday's Island", which is a separate, disconnected island beside the main board. Each time a new tile is added, Friday moves to that tile. After all six tiles are placed, the player who depletes subsequent tile piles must move Friday to a different tile on the island (rather like a mandatory Count of Carcassonne). For the seven "days" Friday is on that tile, all players get the benefits of the features on that tile. The six tiles give various bonuses such as giving extra Wares, giving discounts for completing Ships, allowing players to trade Wares, and, in contrast to the others, forcing players to retrieve an Islander after placing one.

The idea behind this unusual expansion is nice and it is certainly unique among all Carcassonne expansions, but it is unnecessarily fiddling in many different ways. The thematic device of splitting the draw tiles into 11 piles is annoying, especially to those who use draw bags. It also requires a longer setup time than most Carcassonne games require. Furthermore, having a completely separate tile build elsewhere on the gameboard, disconnected, is really rather odd. First, that build should just start out built — having players build it randomly seems just unnecessary. And second, it breaks the visual look of the game when those tiles could have been used as a large start tile as with the Wheel of Fortune or the City of Carcassonne. The mechanic of bonuses is not unique — it has been used in The Messengers expansion, Hunters & Gatherers, and The Castle — but these bonuses are a bit strange, or at least two of them are. The ability to trade Wares comes straight out of Catan but feels strange here. Why would players trade Wares? It would only benefit both of them and, thereby, undermine the mechanics of the game. Similarly, why would players force themselves and other players to remove Islanders whenever an Islander is placed? Granted there are certainly some strategic situations where this would be useful, but forcing them to do it every time for 7 turns? That seems like a bit much. Finally, the 7-days mechanic is very odd because it means that some players will have the same bonus twice and others only once. Granted this can be a good thing, but it also is slightly unfair and uneven for those players that really want a bonus but know they will only get it once. Discuss your relationship with Friday and how you optimise your use of this strategic element.

Next Week: The Sheriff (from Around the World #2: Gold Rush)    C:-) >:D  C:-)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2027.0

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Friday – Element of the Week #50
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 02:34:56 AM »
I played a few times with this expansion and I find that the mechanics is interessane, although sometimes benefits too few players.

The "Trade" is useful when playing with 3 or more players, two people are benefiting in spite of others.

I find that using the "Discounted Ware costs for Ships" is the best option to make points, but not being able to use the same number of times players will promote very few, especially if you have opportunity to use it more than once each time it is selected, and be assured that he will :)

"Forced retrieval of Islanders" definitely is little used by me, I prefer to put tiles without entering followers. If you are in game 4 tiles expansion and yet it is not in use, it can be useful to include a follower in a place not very conveniete and use it as a sacrifice if during use must enter a follower for strength.

I played a lot with the South Seas and I created several mini expansions for it on CarcF needing a translation to be posted here, one of them is used to remove two flaws that you have indicated, have a different dashboard to it and not be able to use the bag.

A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 04:06:19 AM »
Very nice little "Island of Carcassonne" board there. I like how all the Friday tiles have a place to go and how you have the days of the week outlined. Very well done. I may have to print this out when I finally am able to lay my hands on my game.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:43:10 PM »
I have the German version of the Friday expansion. In the German rules there is no "forced" retrieval. The rules state: "Die Spieler dürfen in Ihrem Zug zuerst einen Insulaner auf die gelegte Karte einsetzen, als auch anschliessend einen Insulaner wieder vom Spielfeld zurücknehmen." So translated it means that you also MAY retrieve a follower after you placed one, but you are not forced to.

We do like Carcassonne - South Sea. You have to apply a different strategy because you don't have to reach for the most wares all the time. The aim is to get the boats with the highest values. So sometimes a road with one shell may be more valuable than an island with six bananas.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »
In the German rules there is no "forced" retrieval.

Exactly. This was already covered earlier in this thread.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 11:57:22 PM »
In the German rules there is no "forced" retrieval.

Exactly. This was already covered earlier in this thread.
Apologies, I used the BGG rules translation for this.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
xx
More Friday Carcassonne

Started by jungleboy

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2016, 05:08:24 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Four games on a rainy Friday afternoon