Author Topic: Traders & Builders League  (Read 10847 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Traders & Builders League
« on: January 14, 2015, 03:01:34 AM »
The Traders & Builders League is now live!  ;D

I’ve split the 18 of us into two groups which I’ve imaginatively titled Group A and Group B (why didn’t I name them “Traders” and “Builders”?!) I will be the administrator of Group A and MrNumbers will be looking after Group B. If you have any questions or difficulties, please either post it on the forums or contact either of us directly via Private Message.

As you can see, where individuals have taken part in past Carcassonne Central competitions I’ve taken their final rank into account and have divided up the groups as evenly as possible. Newcomers have been grouped according to location (where known) although this hasn’t been of great significance as the majority of players are within Europe anyway.

Please refer to the following posts in order to arrange matches and post scores:

T & B League: Group A
T & B League: Group B

Once everyone has played everyone else within their groups, there will be a deciding round where each person plays their equivalently ranked player from the opposite group. The results of these matches will be used to determine an overall ranking. There may then be a knock-out phase of the competition for the top 16 (sorry bottom 2 :() which would consist of four rounds of competition (Round 1, Quarter-final, Semi-final, Final) with winners advancing to the next round whilst losers are eliminated.

Enjoy!  :) :(y)

PS - Anyone wishing to take part in a game should follow the link below in order to meet with others in the "pre-game chat":

http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1452.0
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:44:17 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
Re: Traders & Builders League
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:41:13 AM »
Well, I don't really like the idea of Round 1 after the group stage. This way a player who won all group matches could easily be out of the best 8 with an unlucky Round 1 match. That seems to me unfair.
I would rather prefer not having a knock-out phase at all. E.g. the first 3 players of both groups could make up a new group (with 6 players) where again everyone would play against everyone (or the players could carry the results from matches against the other players from their original group), and the winner of this "elite" group would be the champion. How about that?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 09:22:40 AM »
I’ve split the 18 of us into two groups which I’ve imaginatively titled Group A and Group B (why didn’t I name them “Traders” and “Builders”?!)

That would have been way better :(

Oh well, next time. I want to be in the Cathedrals group! Oh, and the Dragon group! For Abbey and Mayor, I could go either way :)

Seriously, thanks for setting this up for us, it should be an excellent competition!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
I’ve split the 18 of us into two groups which I’ve imaginatively titled Group A and Group B (why didn’t I name them “Traders” and “Builders”?!)

That would have been way better :(

Oh well, next time. I want to be in the Cathedrals group! Oh, and the Dragon group! For Abbey and Mayor, I could go either way :)

Seriously, thanks for setting this up for us, it should be an excellent competition!

If it's a subtle way of ruling out "The Tower" then I'm all for it!  >:D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
If it's a subtle way of ruling out "The Tower" then I'm all for it!  >:D

Nice try phantom boy, but you're not going to get away with it that easily. The two groups for the Tower league will be 'Those Who Like The Tower' and 'Danisthirty'  >:D

Offline Yall

• Villein
  • Merit: 2
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 12:17:59 PM »
Sign me up for Dan's group then!  ;D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »
Sign me up for Dan's group then!  ;D

Doh! And there was me thinking that I might stand a chance of finishing at the top of my group for once!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
Are there to be eliminations? That seems more like a tournament than a league then. In a league everyone should play to the end and tally points. I don't remember how it we did it last year though  :-[
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »
Are there to be eliminations? That seems more like a tournament than a league then. In a league everyone should play to the end and tally points. I don't remember how it we did it last year though  :-[

The last time we did a league it was as you described; everyone played everyone else and the overall ranking was based on points and then total score differential. The World Cup followed which included a group stage followed by a knock-out stage. Since there are 18 of us in this league it wouldn't really be practical for all of us to play everyone else as that would be 17 games each would could take months, hence that we are in 2 groups.

The elimination round at the end was literally just an idea. If it isn't a popular one then we won't go ahead with it and will crown our champion at the end of the normal league play. With two groups though, there should still be a single game between equivalently ranked players in either group to determine an overall winner.

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:16 AM »
I would think maybe the top 2 in each group (or 4) go to a knockout but maybe play best of 3?
It is more games in the second round but should remove the one lucky game factor.  Games can be played back to back as well.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 12:47:56 AM »
The elimination round at the end was literally just an idea. If it isn't a popular one then we won't go ahead with it and will crown our champion at the end of the normal league play. With two groups though, there should still be a single game between equivalently ranked players in either group to determine an overall winner.

If we're going to have a World Cup every year, maybe keeping the knockout round just for that tournament might be good to make it more special. Then for the leagues we could just have the 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 etc matches.

On another note, is there a rule against using farm hints in the league?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:50:47 AM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 01:15:49 AM »

If we're going to have a World Cup every year, maybe keeping the knockout round just for that tournament might be good to make it more special. Then for the leagues we could just have the 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 etc matches.

This would probably be for the best I think.

On another note, is there a rule against using farm hints in the league?

I haven't mentioned it this time round. I'd prefer it if people didn't (I certainly won't), but I don't think it represents a significant advantage over any moderately experienced player and I didn't feel it was worth ruling either way in light of all the discussion this caused last time.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 04:14:15 AM »
Would it be worth it to have two threads for each group? One thread solely for scheduling and organising games, and another for the screenshots, reports, commentaries, group standings etc. Or does that just complicate things?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 06:04:27 AM »
If it would be helpful for you then by all means create one!  :(y)

I think I prefer knowing that everything is in one place. I know it doesn't take much to track two threads instead of one but I'm simple-minded like that and am less likely to miss something if everything for Group A is in one place!  :)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 01:50:12 AM »
Since there still seems to be no settled rules for how the league will go on after group play, I want to make a suggestion, which of course also can be dumped completely. What would you think of the following:
  • The first four players of each group qualify for quarterfinal, which is executed like the semifinal and the game for place 3 best of three. (Final maybe best of five?)
  • The two fifth placed players of each group play against each other for place 9, the sixth for place 11 and so on till the ninth playing for place 17. The loosing players of the quarterfinal are all considered equal fifth.
  • Last place gives zero points for the Expansion League, each better place gives plus 1 point. The winner of an individual expansion might get some bonus points, maybe 3 or 5? So in case of "Traders and Builders" this would mean zero for 18th place, 1 point for 17th, 2 points for 16th,... 9 points for 9th, 13 points for 5th, 16 for 2nd, 17 or 20 or 22 points for winning T&B.
In case of other expansions, the league might have more or less competitors, so the score for an individual place will be slightly bigger or smaller, depending on, how many players participate. We could also think about bonus points for qualifying for semifinal and final, but they should be a constant factor in this case, not depending on the numbers of contestants.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central Expansion League #1: Traders & Builders

Started by danisthirty

45 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 03:03:07 AM
by danisthirty
xx
The Festival & Traders & builders

Started by aenima

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2018, 02:35:27 PM