Author Topic: Coffee, Cake and the future!  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Coffee, Cake and the future!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 04:25:40 AM »
Most of the ideas here have focused on what HiG can do.  Some of those things are not feasible because of the licensing rules that they have in place.  HiG consider it Z-man's responsibility to market their games in their jurisdiction for example - this prevents HiG simply turning up at the UKGE and flogging Carcassonne for example. 

So, I'd like to shift gears a little bit and work from the bottom up.  HiG can provide their license partners direction, in order to provide FLGs with direction. 

What do you think your FLG could do to make you come to their shop more often?  What could they do to engage with you more.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 05:13:15 AM »
I do not understand much about licenses and rights, but I can answer you by referring to my previous answers. it's the same.

es.
In Italy the FFG products are published by Asmodee Italia. When Asmodee Italia has the permission from the FFG, it can organize the events that the same FFG organizes in America. The last event organized (which interested me) was the "Invocation Night": The shops interested in attending the event have contacted the Asmodee Italia to receive, in addition to the last scenario for Arkham Horror LCG (which can be purchased in any physical and online shop), one or more promo packs (it depends on the number of players that the store could host). Each promo pack consisted of 4 playmates and 4 promo cards to donate to the event participants. The shop, then, is interested in organizing the evening of play by recalling the public. Participants pay a sort of registration, which allows you to have both the scenario just released (basically you bought the scenario), a copy of both the playmate and the promo card and, finally, participate in the evening. The evening consists of oragnizing tables to play in multiplayer not only the last scenario purchased, but also the scenarios of the basic game, just to educate and tempt new players.

I do not know how much a store can do more ... unless it is also a "playroom" or a play association that allows customers and not to play or participate in demonstrations of games that make available itself (without having to contact producers, distributors or publishers ... I do not know how these things work well)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 09:55:32 PM »
Another question from you all:

In general terms what do you expect from your FLGS when it comes to your connection with gaming?

Not sure this is answer is inline ... with some added comments on the FLGS experience.

I think they can take a page from the new plethora of Board Game Cafe's. The later seem to offer more direct service with the games. They tend to be more active with demos and on hand staff to help introduce games; Game Gurus, etc. They tend to have more staff, especially of the 'friendly' variety!

A good thing I see in my area is available room. With almost all local stores there is lots of tables for self directed play. Again the key here is that they tend to not be organized in any real way, with maybe the odd ad hoc incentive. The staff are generally knowledgeable on games but I do tend to see they steer you to what they like rather than really digging into what might more directly interest you. 

I wish out FLGS held more tournaments, in any fashion, local, regional national, etc.

Along the lines that aenima mentioned. I think some of the models coming out of FFG and Wiz Kids with tournament kits can be a good incentive. As I understand the way this works, the stores don't get the kits unless they have an organized play system or adopts the system from the Vendor.

After that rambling maybe this Organized Play model is the way to go. (I must admit that I have never participated in these and don't have much inside knowledge of how these actually work). 
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
I have already expressed my thoughts to Moritz directly during our session, but I will post them here too, just to have a full picture.

The big part of I have said then was echoed by Dan now. I told about possibility to [at some level] officially recognize our online tournaments and in ideal situation to send a winner to a World championship. This could be World Cup winner, but Dan also noticed that WC is more about expansions, not the base game only, so it could be Base game League winner in this case. And of course, we can change the rules to match HiG high standards.
Another story is our leagues. Participation in them gives much experience in particular expansion and we are all having much fun. I asked Moritz, is it possible to support our online tournaments with some prizes to, for example, first 3 places. They shouldn't be big or expensive or exclusive, it could be even a voucher to Cundco! But with these prizes in mind it makes it more attractive to participate in our tournaments. And again, of course, we can change the rules if needed, limit number of tournaments per year and do whatever we need to be supported by HiG. I already said to Moritz that participation in expansion leagues can encourage players to actually buy expansion in question, if they don't own it yet, for example. Eventually HiG wants to sell not only base games all the time, expansions are also a big part of Carcassonne family.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 02:13:11 AM »
Seems like GamesWorkshop are considering some similar approach, supporting fans host their events:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/03/good-times-guaranteed-announcing-event-supportgw-homepage-post-4/

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Coffee & Carcassonne - with Daniel Solis & Megan Raley

Started by Decar

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2016, 01:35:31 PM
by Decar
xx
Vision of the Future?

Started by Ker42

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2023, 09:50:58 AM
by kothmann
xx
Dynamic electronic Carcassonne tiles may be possible in the future.

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 03:43:05 PM
by mas9dj
xx
Idea for a Future Variant CAR

Started by Whaleyland

22 Replies
Last post May 24, 2014, 08:00:10 AM
by Scott
xx
Besiegers and Halflings II (and New Edition and Goldrush) now available at Cundco

Started by jungleboy

29 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 05:53:56 AM
by Darwin