Poll

What next for the Expansion League series?

Another Expansion League using the Bridges, Castles & Bazaars expansion
12 (63.2%)
Another Expansion League using a combination of smaller expansions (would be agreed beforehand)
4 (21.1%)
Go back through the first 5 major expansions starting with Inns & Cathedrals
1 (5.3%)
Something else (please post below)
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: What next for the Expansion League series?  (Read 7721 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
What next for the Expansion League series?
« on: June 07, 2016, 11:30:07 PM »
This probably seems a bit premature as we've only just started our Tower league. However, I like to plan ahead and even though our next tournament will be the 2016 World Cup of Carcassonne Central I'm interested to know what people think should follow this in terms of our Expansion League series. The way I look at it there are three main options which I've offered as options on which to vote:

- We do another Expansion League using the Bridges, Castles & Bazaars expansion
- We do another Expansion League using a combination of smaller expansions that would be agreed beforehand
- We go back through the first 5 major expansions starting with Inns & Cathedrals

I've voted for the second option. In my opinion, B, C & B can add a lot of interest to games that already include a decent handful of expansions, but it doesn't stand up well as a solo expansion, and wouldn't make for an interesting league. Naturally I'd still want to take part in it if everyone else voted for it of course, but I can't say it's something I'd be especially excited about if this was the case.

The other option I've dismissed is to go back to Inns & Cathedrals and start again (doing them in release order this time!) I'm not against this per se, I just feel like we should be trying to get as much from the series as we possibly can before starting over and repeating it.

So this leaves us with the option of having an Expansion League based on a combination of mini expansions which excites me more than the other two options. I'm not sure exactly how we'd decide which expansions to use, but obviously our choice would be limited to what's already available in JCloisterZone and which expansions "work well" together which is a matter of opinion. Purely as an example though, I think that something like Mage & Witch + Fliers + King & Robber Baron + Phantom could be fun, but I'm aware that others will undoubtedly have very different opinions so we'd discuss it in more detail and vote on it nearer the time.

Or maybe you'd prefer to do something completely different? If so, please vote accordingly and tell us all about it here!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2774.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: What next for the Expansion League series?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 03:23:04 AM »
I'd like to see CBnB with the Catapult tiles.

Which Mini expansions are missing from JCZ at the moment - perhaps we can try to get these implemented?

The Count tiles are present, so expansion 6 could almost be done too.

Offline Chuck

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 04:12:22 AM »
My vote goes to the small expansions.

I don't like Bridges, Castles & Bazaars very much. My intentional vote would have been: let's do the Minis, but there are only 4 out of 7 available on JCZ.
So I say, let's take them and add on or two other small expansions to it, like a river and Besiegers/Kathars or the Tunnels or the Houses.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 05:06:37 AM »
I surprised myself by voting for BC&B, even though I'm not very good at it and Dan hinted that we should vote differently. Actually, maybe that's why I did it!  O0

We're going down the path of doing single major expansions, and BC&B is the last one fully implemented in JCZ. So why not finish off that series before starting to mix and match, add smaller expansions etc? Some people may not love this expansion, but not everyone loves P&D or the Tower either. Participation is voluntary, so if some people are really against it, they can sit it out.

Sorry to go against the tide :)

Offline Chuck

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 05:18:59 AM »
jungleboy, you got some good points there. And why are you sorry? That's the point of discussions! :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 06:59:50 AM »
We're going down the path of doing single major expansions, and BC&B is the last one fully implemented in JCZ. So why not finish off that series before starting to mix and match, add smaller expansions etc? Some people may not love this expansion, but not everyone loves P&D or the Tower either. Participation is voluntary, so if some people are really against it, they can sit it out.

+1 to that! That is why I also voted for BC&B :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »
I voted for minis. Naturally, it's because I don't really like BCB. Bridges are very powerful, especially in connecting farms. If you've played mega-carc with bridges, you know what I mean. Two tiles, 60 points. At home, we always ignore the castle tokens and auctions. We feel that the castle require too much attention to award you the same number of points you can get otherwise, but this is okay if the computer takes over this burden. We also feel that auctions interrupt the game too much. Maybe this feeling just result from our incompetence of multitasking - evaluate the potential gain with the tiles on bid while estimate your opponents bottom line.
Meanwhile, I figure I'd list a few minis that I like and are already in JCZ: fliers, goldmines, Mage & Witch, rivers (II is better than I, in my opinion), siege/besiegers. Phantom is great. Usually I use it to claim something I finish on my turn and take it back for future use and it's like bonus points. Occasionally you may make a last minute attempt to steal a monster city or farm.

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 10:30:10 AM »
I have voted for Bridges, Castles and Bazars for the same reasons given above that I think it would be good to finish off the major expansions that are implemented into JCZ. Also I actually quite like the expansion, and whilst I agree with Dan that it works well as an addition to other expansions I think it can work standalone as well. Certainly in a smaller game mega farms become less of an issue and it would be interesting to see if people manage to score many castle points.

Saying that I don't dislike the other options and a mini expansion league would also be very fun.
Having only managed to participate in the P&D league so far (of the expansion leagues) I would also very much like to go back through the ones already done before.

In any case, I'm very much looking forward to being able to join in on the next league. I'm a bit sad I'm missing out on the tower league due to prior commitments, so whatever it is I'll be very happy to join in!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:43:46 AM »
Winter edition, catapult tiles, Russian promo and the phantom.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »
I'm not to fancy about B,C&B, either, but would sure join the League anyway. If we go for it, I would still say, we should play it properly, hence with bazaar auction. For Count, I would wait till (or rather ask Farin if) it is possible, to include the full rules, rather then just the tiles. Then a "Count, King and Consortes" League would of course be the obvious pick. But I also would like a mix of other minis. Last, but not least, a "South Sea League" or "H&G League" on Yucata, or a "Castle League" on Brettspielwelt would also be interesting to consider.

Many options, I would take part, whatever you choose.

Offline Chuck

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »
Forgot to mention: I'm in, whatever it will be! :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
I surprised myself by voting for BC&B, even though I'm not very good at it and Dan hinted that we should vote differently. Actually, maybe that's why I did it!  O0

I don’t have any strong feelings either way. I certainly wouldn't say I've tried to influence the voting in any case. I voted for what I’d prefer to see and offered my opinion to justify what I’d chosen. It was a personal thing though, and I certainly don’t expect anybody to agree with me or vote in the same way purely for the sake of it! This is why I created the poll after all...

However, I am surprised to see so much support for Bridges, Castles & Bazaars. I quite like bridges and castles but see them more as additional components of a larger game than I do as parts of a full expansion. But I think Bazaars cause an unnecessary amount of disruption for something that’s so rarely of any consequence, and this is annoying!

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 01:06:17 PM »

But I think Bazaars cause an unnecessary amount of disruption for something that’s so rarely of any consequence, and this is annoying!

Don't really agree on that. I like the fact you can bid for tiles and sometimes choose the more tactical, not so obvious, choice. Even the bidding itself or choosing the tile you want to block others or make them pay dearly is really interesting. It forms a distraction of the game itself, sure, but I really appreciate it for what it provides to the game.

About the vote: I'm actually fine with either option. I wonder how completionist think about this one?  :o

I voted for BB&C!
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 01:11:58 PM »
Just thinking.......

How many of us missed the original 3 Expansion Leagues?  Could there be an I&C, T&B and A&M for those of us a little later to the party?

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 01:49:17 AM »
I voted for BB&C because I believe it's the next one chronologically.
If we start to sideways we might end up not knowing what to play next.

I'm not saying that other (smaller) tournaments with previous played expansions can't be organized or smaller ad-hoc tournaments with smaller expansions combined.

For the "official" expansion tournaments I would prefer to keep follow a strict one expansion at a time on chronological order (be it a big one or a mini).
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
What TV series do you follow?

Started by quevy

16 Replies
Last post June 21, 2015, 04:01:12 PM
by Joff
xx
Anybody seen "Labyrinth", the Carcassonne mini-series?

Started by Lotas

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 03:07:14 AM
by jungleboy
xx
World Series of Board Gaming

Started by DaFees

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2021, 10:09:48 AM
by Allograft
question
Poll: Next Expansion League