Author Topic: What game is hitting your table?  (Read 45371 times)

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
Re: What game is hitting your table?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 06:56:47 AM »
I have not played with Alvin and Dexter, I have always felt that it did not fit the game theme and have passed on buying it.
I am rather insesivite towards theme. These guys fall into the "movie monster" catagory, which makes them okay in my book - I just did not like the mechanic at first. In part because I just did not grasp the rules at first.  :-\ It is not an expansion I will play with all the time, but it will be brought forth now and then.

Yesterday an old friend visited and we sat down to play a few games.

We started with Doom. My girlfriend played the invider because she has always felt that the marines had an unfair disadvantage. She lost, so now I guess she will resort to just not liking the game. Or, she might actually start to listen to my hints. Not sure if that will turn out well ...

Next game was Carcassonne with eleven or so expansions. We do not play this much at all anymore - all the expansions have pretty much ruined it for us. If we want a Carcassonne experience, we play one of the spin-offs instead. It is just too long for what it is and some expansions do not marry well at all. Of coure, I could leave three fourths of the game sitting on the shelf every time, but that is not why I bought those expansions. I am thinking about house ruling farms to only yield two points per city as well; they are still way too powerful.

We rounded off with Small World: Underground, which sadly is not at all as fun or interesting as the original. I will have to try them both togheter soon to see if that might be good. The Realms expansion, which we did not use this time, has been well received so far though.
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 06:39:47 AM »
My wife and I really enjoy Mega-Carcassonne with many expansions. We actually printed off a set of Carcassonne Selector Cards located Here to assist in deciding what rules to use each game. The farm scoring is easily mitigated with plague, tower, and dragon debauchery. :)

My wife is a ruthless player wins most of our games. It is awesome to play against her. In many ways, the game we play no longer resembles Carcassonne at all because we use so many expansions. It is generally an evening with a bottle of wine and a lot of tiles.  :meeple:

Last night I played two games.

RuneWars
This was a learning game for two of us. We played with a full complement of four players. I ended up winning due to a very lucky quest draw and initial tile placement. The game is dripping in Theme and I like the decisions that you make in the game. There is a fair bit going on. I would like to play it again in the next month or two to get a better grasp of game play. I am really liking games like Eclipse and RuneWars, but I am left with a feeling that the draw of exploration tiles (Eclipse) and quest cards (RuneWars) can really lead to some unbalanced games. Perhaps some of these imbalances would be mitigated in games with experienced players. That is what I would like to explore.

That's Life
The four of us finished the night with a quick game of That's Life. This game is a gem that is easily taught and plays quick. It is generally a hit with gamers and non-gamers alike. I only wish I could find the two expansions for the game. :(
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
Time for another installment of games played :)

Cleopatra & The Society of Architects x2 @ChewsDay Challenge
This game has great components, interesting game play, and has the most corrupt player thrown to the crocodiles before final scoring... What's not to like? I need to play this more often. I think it is an underrated gem.

Poseidon's Kingdom @ ChewsDay Challenge
Game bits don't come much cooler than this. The Fragor team really have unique games. As this gets played a bit more, the game play is becoming more balanced and competition tightens up a lot.

The Earth Shook x2 @Bixbys
I am liking the design even more these days. We took a break from playing this and have played a few sessions lately. We tested a power up option on the map as well as having one uber Mech take on three smaller Mechs. Quite happy with the replayability and extensibility of the game. Will add our findings to the collective rulebook and get ready for a final publish this summer.

Glen More @Bixbys
This is one I have wanted to try for awhile now. I think the tile selection / turn order is clever and enjoy how it is integrated into the game. I would like to play a few more times to form a final opinion. Enjoyable.

Maori x2 @Bixbys
I had never played this before. Very simple game with ease to learn mechanics. Engaging play with an opportunity to hose over other players occasionally. Great gateway game.

Taluva @Bixbys
An abstract game disguised as a Euro. It is no secret that I would like to play more abstract strategy games, so I really enjoyed this three player session of Taluva. I think the strategy unfolds after a number of plays, and I am not there yet. Lots of strategy to explore in this title.

Neuroshima Hex! @Bixbys
This is simple and fun. I know that many people bemoan the randomness of the tile draws, I think it creates situations that you have to react and adjust to. I like the game and plan to make it a regular on the gaming table. Especially so since I ordered a bunch of fanspansions from Print & Play Productions.

Venture @ Bixbys
I have the old 3m Gamette version of this game. Played a three player game and I think the design is very clever for a small portable card game. I happen to stink at this game and cannot see the patterns that others can readily see. Does not stop me from enjoying and playing it though. I would like to see how a six player game of this goes.

Cards Against Humanity @Bixbys
Yes, alcohol was involved. Some friends were over and we have shoveled the snow away from our fire pit in the back yard. We had a very enjoyable evening of sitting around the fire visiting over a few beers, (ok, more than a few). We eventually went inside and a random game of CaH broke out. Kind of wrong, but kinda right too.

Mage Knight @Bixbys
Got my second play of this under my belt. Thanks Ryan. We played a four turn cooperative blitz game and lost. Ryan managed to take out one city. He and Dana were mounting a combined assault on the second city while I was getting my butt kicked by the third city. Again, this is a title that has a lot going on. A phenomenal amount of game to explore. I need a few more plays of this in before I feel comfortable with all of the rules and intricacies.

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
Taluva @Bixbys
An abstract game disguised as a Euro. It is no secret that I would like to play more abstract strategy games, so I really enjoyed this three player session of Taluva. I think the strategy unfolds after a number of plays, and I am not there yet. Lots of strategy to explore in this title.
One of the games I have played the most. Yes, as you get more plays under your belt you will start to see other options. One thing we have done is to play with a set number of tiles, so if we are playing two players, we remove half of the tiles. With three we remove one fourth. Also, this game's rule book is really not very well written, so be sure you play correctly, as even a small change to the rules will make it into something else.

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »
It is a shame we did not live closer to each other Tobias.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
Bixby, I thought you will come to Europe. Perhaps you should change your itinerary through Europe.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:36:26 PM by kettlefish »

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »
Bixby, I thought you will come to Europe. Perhaps you should change your itinerary through Europe.
;D  It is a thought. Would be mice to meet some gaming folks. :meeple:

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
We also like to play the game: DrachenWurf. It is from Wolfgang Panning and it was published by Schmidt-Spiele "EasyPlay".

This game is easy to learn and the young and the old have fun.

At BGG you don't find much about this game. It is a shame.

Here is a picture.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »
We also like to play the game: DrachenWurf. It is from Wolfgang Panning and it was published by Schmidt-Spiele "EasyPlay".

Here is a picture.

Wow - that looks interesting kettlefish. Looks complex - the way I like them.  ;D
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »
Time for another installment of games played :)

Glen More @Bixbys
This is one I have wanted to try for awhile now. I think the tile selection / turn order is clever and enjoy how it is integrated into the game. I would like to play a few more times to form a final opinion. Enjoyable.

My wife and I love this game. It is very clever and that is one of the aspects I like about it. The uncertain turn order really mixes things up. We bought it at GenCon and have a few plays in.

Bixby - too bad you live so far away. I would love to join your BixCon. Will you be adding Glen More to the list?
If you are ever in New York (State, not City) let me know - we have many games in common.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »
;D  It is a thought. Would be mice to meet some gaming folks. :meeple:
If you travel from Berlin to the tank museum, than you would be not far away from some members of this forum.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »

Here is a picture.

Wow - that looks interesting kettlefish. Looks complex - the way I like them.  ;D
If you like, than I can explain something about this game.

Offline Carcatronn

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »

Cards Against Humanity @Bixbys
Yes, alcohol was involved. Some friends were over and we have shoveled the snow away from our fire pit in the back yard. We had a very enjoyable evening of sitting around the fire visiting over a few beers, (ok, more than a few). We eventually went inside and a random game of CaH broke out. Kind of wrong, but kinda right too.

My wife and I love to bring this out when we invite friends over for drinks and gaming. By far the best ice breaking game  ;D ... I wish they wouldn't always be sold out though on their website! Still debating on getting the Canadian version for the extra cards, but sure I won't get the jokes
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:41:31 PM by Carcatronn »
PM me for for a list of remaining items from the Carcassonne Shoppe.

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 04:38:02 AM »
Playing games and drinking beer all the time; I could live with that! :)

I have been looking for a means to move to the US, but I am not sure my skill set in Swedish grammar is very sought after there either. Of course I also know literature ...

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
Playing games and drinking beer all the time; I could live with that! :)

Nice. That's my idea of a good game night!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Table Talk - how does this happen at your game?

Started by Allan in Brisbane

10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 06:05:28 AM
by Durbs
clip
Base Game - Table edges

Started by Meepledrone

50 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 06:00:15 AM
by kothmann
xx
Table edge rules