Author Topic: Windroses: Mixing Spielbox and Cundo.de version  (Read 5644 times)

Offline ma_Rysia

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
Windroses: Mixing Spielbox and Cundo.de version
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »
Hi,

Are there any official rules for mixing two version of the Windroses expansion (I bought both)? I am unable to find any statement in the CAR v7.0.2.

Now I use following home rule.
1. I discard a starting Orange Windrose from Spielbox (with two areas) and use Cundo.de. Add all remaining tiles into game (both blue windroses).
2. For the Cundo.de tile with quarter wind rose (both directions marked)  the points are received only if it placed in approparite quarter (NW tile in NW section).
3. For the Spielbox tile with quarter wind rose (one direction) the points are received if the tile is placed in appropriate half (N will get points for placing both in NW, NO section).
4. IF the Cundo.de Blue Windrose is placed it takes over previous ones (see bellow). The quartes are determined according to it.
5. IF the Spielbox Blue Windrose is placed it takes over previous ones (Spielbox Orange or Spielbox Blue) but changes only the split of the field in North and South directions, the East and West are determined according to previously placed Windrose tile (this may be changes if Spielbox Blue is placed after). This effectively split the field in the way like the Cundo.de Windrose tile would be placed in same row as newly placed Spielbox Blue Windrose and Previous Windorse.

To simplyfy the working of point 5 and determination which windrose was placed latter (this is main problem, because we always forget which tile should we check), I am considering following:
  1. Mix only Cundo.de Blue Windrose and the player who get the tile decide if he want to place Cundo.de or Spielbox version.
  2. Mix Spliebox Blue tile after Cundo.de was placed, so it is always more important to determine North and South.
Which option do you preffer?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1120.0
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:11:57 PM by ma_Rysia »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Windroses: Mixing Spielbox and Cundo.de version
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »
Officially they are the same expansion with different distributors. Since one is from Spielbox, it is unlikely you will get any definitive support for mixing them from Hans im Glück, though the two companies have been cooperating morel lately and even occasionally clarifying rules. kettlefish is probably the only one who could formally answer your request.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
I would be inclined to use only one of the blue windrose tiles. You CAN use both, but it is of course more complicated.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:21 PM »
Is cundco version 1 or 2 ?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:22:42 PM »
The Windroses from CundCo were first published (North, West, South, East). The second Windroses is from Spielbox (North - South)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
Technically they are the same expansion with legally identical rules. Thus, I usually designate them as Windroses (I) [CundCo] and Windroses (II) [Spielbox]. Similarly, the Big Box 5 version of The River is, to me, called The River (III). The parenthesis implies that the numbers are artificial constructs, in contrast to The River and The River II, Corn Circles and Corn Circles II, and Halflings I and Halflings II, all of which are official designations.

I just realized, using that same logic, I guess there are three Cults: The Cult (I) [Hans im Glück], The Cult (II) [Spielbox], and The Cult (III) [Rio Grande]. Since all but the Spielbox editions are included as components in larger sets, though, I've never adopted this terminology for The Cult. Other expansions using the same logic include The Festival (I) [10th Anniversary] and The Festival (II) [CundCo] and Wheel of Fortune (I) [Stand-Alone] and Wheel of Fortune (II) [Big Box 5].

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:09:01 AM »
Technically they are the same expansion with legally identical rules. Thus, I usually designate them as Windroses (I) [CundCo] and Windroses (II) [Spielbox]. Similarly, the Big Box 5 version of The River is, to me, called The River (III). The parenthesis implies that the numbers are artificial constructs, in contrast to The River and The River II, Corn Circles and Corn Circles II, and Halflings I and Halflings II, all of which are official designations.

I just realized, using that same logic, I guess there are three Cults: The Cult (I) [Hans im Glück], The Cult (II) [Spielbox], and The Cult (III) [Rio Grande]. Since all but the Spielbox editions are included as components in larger sets, though, I've never adopted this terminology for The Cult. Other expansions using the same logic include The Festival (I) [10th Anniversary] and The Festival (II) [CundCo] and Wheel of Fortune (I) [Stand-Alone] and Wheel of Fortune (II) [Big Box 5].

We shouldn't name the windroses with a 1 and 2.. but like you did above: windroses [cundco] and windroses [spielbox]

Wheel of fortune is now indeed in 2 versions. As a standalone and expansion.

Halflings are really two versions so there is a halfling 1 [spielbox] and halflings 2 [Cundco]

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 02:27:13 AM »
I've already got the Spielbox version but I've just received my set from Cundco and they've sent me the Spielbox version. I hope this is just a mistake and that they still have the original version.

Offline ma_Rysia

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
Do we have any official clarification for original question about mixing them? Could we have some clarification about mixing them in CAR?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB Windroses: Carcassonne on tour (not spielbox)

Started by Valheru

13 Replies
Last post September 30, 2016, 01:30:42 PM
by Jesusgcas
xx
Cundo news: Matt transparente meeples

Started by Sinscerly

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2018, 10:12:13 PM
by InTheDark
xx
Mixing Elements: Which one should definitly (not) be together?

Started by SRBO

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 10:57:18 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Mixing national versions of Carcassonne

Started by espenlok

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 09:20:16 AM
by Decar
xx
WTB: The Windroses (2012) and The Festival