Poll

How well does The Tower and The Flying Machines play together?

They are an excellent pair.
They seem to work well most of the time.
It really depends...
They don't seem to work well together.
They don't cooperate at all!
They don't appear to interact in any significant way.

Author Topic: The Tower & The Flying Machines: Element Match-Ups #2  (Read 10120 times)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: The Tower & The Flying Machines: Element Match-Ups #2
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
I agree, the flyers were not used very much. Only Rosco launched a successful attempt to get into my unfinished 6 point city and I tried to do the same for majority on my last tile. I must confess, I did not get it, that that was my last tile, otherwise I would have gone for the road on the right side of the picture, which would have given me the 6 points for sure. There was no other building to use this particular flyer for.

In general, I think the towers restrict a lot the options for placing the flyers (without risking getting the meeple snatched on the next turn), as in general this tiles had been particular useful for or against me in several games with P&D before. But of course you would need more games to confirm this.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »
Another game, I played tonight, this time with Dan. Just the screen shot for now, have to go to bed.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 02:04:35 AM »
The combination of expansions seemed to work quite well for us in this game. There was at least one, but possibly 2 or 3 successful flights and a couple that might have worked if not for the dice rolling the “wrong” number. However, the towers did seem to overpower them and in most cases they were soon captured. In fact, there was a lot of capturing going on. Mostly by Hounk at first, who had grabbed so many of my meeples at one point that I had to start buying them back from him (something I find people tend to forget that you can do).

The first half of the game was rather light on tower pieces which allowed me to complete a couple of medium-sized cities without my knights being captured. That was a nice surprise. I also managed to trap two of Hounk’s meeples (along with one of my own – but he was worth slightly more points) within the first dozen or so tiles which put him at a significant disadvantage for the rest of the game. I assumed he’d be able to capture them back but either the right tile never came along or he wasn’t interested in doing so, and both of them remained trapped until the end.

Much of the remainder of the game was spent battling over what ended up turning into quite a big city (eventually worth 28 points). Many knights of both Hounks and mine were captured from the city and I even managed to fly someone into it too (also captured). But it all ended in a stalemate as the city was left empty (everything was captured) with a cccc gap in the middle. So, it all came down to the luck of the draw as the person who drew the cccc tile would take the city, and on this occasion it happened to be Hounk. :(

Elsewhere in the game, I’d built up a small lead which I was able to hang on to until Hounk won the big city, but he was also leading in terms of farmers despite my constant battling to capture them. This ended up being a lot more tactical than I’d anticipated with each of us forcing the other to make certain moves in order to defend certain meeples and all this hastened the demise of our already rapidly dwindling supply of tower pieces. The game felt a lot safer and more conventional once we’d both run out of these, but even so, I wasn’t able to win back an equal share in the farm and Hounk won by a decent margin, but certainly not by any more than he deserved. :green-meeple: ^-^ :blue-meeple: :'(

Well played Hounk! :(y)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
However, the towers did seem to overpower them and in most cases they were soon captured.
I think, this comes true in any game with towers. Especially, if you just add a mini of 6 extra tiles. Towers is a very "concentrated" expansion with 18 tiles and all featuring a foundation.

In the game, I had tonight with Rosco again, much was determined on the first big city, eventually worth 26 points. There was a lot of "towering" going on, I put some meeples on top of the "1" tower right of the starter tile, Rosco snatched them with the "5" tower to the left. And I also got with two (!) fliers into the city, both beeing taken, which I was perfectly aware, that this would happen, in advance. But my goal was to delay Roscos dominance in the city and depleating as many of his tower pieces as possible. And I eventually succeded in finishing the city, when I still had a follower inside, tying the city. Rosco had at that time a lot of my meeples, but just 4 tower pieces left, I bought my meeples back, when I was in need for them and had a big advantage on the farm battle. At times Rosco was leading the farm 2:1, but it was easy, getting them captured with the remaining pieces and foundation tiles, I was not worried about that (even joint one of them into the farm for a nice road and a point for my cloister), but spend a second farmer, worth 6 points in the end, but potentially backing up the farm, especially in case, Rosco might have joint another farmer (captured close to the end, but replaced by the one on the cloister) in with the remaining road-cloister, which I eventually got myself. Then my farmer was captured as well, but I was lucky to replace it in time.

I also succeeded in getting into Roscos "kidney city" with a flyer, but I think the two in the beginning where more important, especially because they saved me a few turns, where I could do something else then putting another meeple on top of the "1" tower.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Wheel of Fortune & Mage & Witch: Element Match-Ups #4

Started by Whaleyland

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 12:41:07 PM
by Hounk
question
Builders & Besiegers: Element Match-Ups #3

Started by Whaleyland

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 11:59:42 AM