Author Topic: 21st century CAR  (Read 10633 times)

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
21st century CAR
« on: September 01, 2018, 06:41:29 AM »
Hello fellow members,

I would like to share with you the project that I have been working on for past few weeks and already had some discussions with Decar. I would love to get your opinion on that (positive or not) and your participation in it.

Current form of CAR is problematic to say the least. It is difficult to work on it by more than one person. This is why I came up with an idea of creating a WIKI on engine used by Wikipedia (later on I discovered that there were already ideas like that on CC, but I have not seen anything really put into action).

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page

What we get in the package?
- Multi user editing and versioning (duh). There is no more waiting for someone or some group of people to finish up to date version of CAR. Now everyone can create new page for latest expansion or correct errors. Well, by "everyone" I mean group of trustworthy people. I intend to allow editing only for authorized users. Recruited from carcassonne central or other forums.
- Mobile interface. Easy to find anything anywhere.
- "book creating". There is plugin  to create "a book" from a subset of pages. This way anytime we can create PDF similar to current CAR.
- I have installed plugin for translation. This way we can create universal source for kids from all around the world.

Until now I have mainly worked on technical background and installing necessary plugins. I do not fell confident writing about the rules themselves. I would prefer to stay a technical person, taking care of the plugin and taking care that everyone knows how to work on it and keeping everything consistent. While allowing more experienced people to fill the content.

I intend to set up one account per day starting tomorrow, so I am able to control resources and eventual bugs. So stand up if you are willing to participate. I hope for a people that are willing to fill the biggest chunk, which are main rules.

It is set up in a way that only logged in users can edit.

There are some pages filled up already (do not forget to check how cool they look on mobile):
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Besiegers_Cathars_Siege_(1st_edition)
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Castles_in_Germany_(1st_edition)
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Klaus-J%C3%BCrgen_Wrede

If there are any errors there, do not hesitate to correct them.

I've put a draft of general guidelines that I thought of and answers to potential questions on a discussion tab of the main page:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Talk:Main_Page

If you have question regarding any particular page, there is discussion tab on each of them.

In case of any questions just ask. I am having German colleagues visiting Poland today, so I will not be available much for the rest of the day. I'll leave you be to think and comment on the idea.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4057.0

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
Re: 21st century CAR
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 06:58:36 AM »
Seems like a great idea, indeed it may be a lot easier to do it that way.
If needed when I have the time I could help with technically stuff.

Probably I could help with transferring the rules we have till know and control
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:00:59 AM »
when I have the time I could help with technically stuff.
The whole idea is that many people can contribute something when they have time instead of one investing half of his life.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »
Yeah That's what I meant, a bit long day today. Next week will be better. But yeah, I would like to help a hand ;)

Offline glh510

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »
Oh yeah. Let's start all together. Hopefully there will be a chance to export the whole rules. May somebody wants to create printouts or other documents

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
This approach to updating the CAR looks amazing!!!

Believe or not, the CAR 7.4 has been my "bedside book" during this summer vacation and I'd love to see the CAR up to date. I'd be more than happy to help.

I'm fairly new to the community so I don't know much about the authorisations/permissions needed to work on the CAR 7.4 by obervet as a key source material.

As far as I know Just a Bill was working on the CAR 7.5 and the last preparatory posts I've seen disccussing WoF and junctions are from May this year. No news since then.

Let's see what the "elders" of the community have to say.  ;)
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 02:24:09 AM »
Your Wikicarpedia looks very promising to me.
There were some people on the forum a little bit back talking about having 2 separate CARs (one for the original artwork and one for the new artwork) and I think it would be a good idea to do the same for your Wikicarpedia.

Also, do you plan on copying directly from the CAR to start or is it going to be written from the ground up?
"Where Is the French Monasteries Mini Expansion At?" -Guy Wondering Why Game Set In France Gets Expansions Set In Other Countries.

Offline cletus81

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • updated profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 06:25:26 AM »
It is a very good idea, I hope I can find the time to give my contribution to this project!!!

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »
Your Wikicarpedia looks very promising to me.
There were some people on the forum a little bit back talking about having 2 separate CARs (one for the original artwork and one for the new artwork) and I think it would be a good idea to do the same for your Wikicarpedia.

Yup, I have read some arguments regarding that and have addressed this on talk tab of main page. For me only absolutely valid one is that someone may want to use new version expansions with first version tiles. Weird but I can understand that. This can be addressed by adding rules for new expansions in "old" section, just with different annotations. Also by extending reference part of old version.

In the end I am strongly convinced that "new version" part should be clean and streamlined, without references to complicated history of old version. This is why the new version was created, not to have new graphics, but to have new clean start.

Also, do you plan on copying directly from the CAR to start or is it going to be written from the ground up?

What I have filled now is a direct copy of CAR, but for sure, for the new version it should be written from the ground up. As I have read on the CC the content of CAR was somewhat passed to the community. After all, looking at the credits of CAR it was created by the community and many people were involved.

BTW. We can refer to wikicarpedia as WICA.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »
Great to see this taking shape MajFrost!

I hope as a community we can document all sorts of useful things on the WICA.

+1 merit from me!

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
Thank you for a positive response so far. Even if we together fill 3-4 expansions a week, this may quickly get filled. Besides that Decar plans to fill the info about variants. Besides that there is place for house rules, profiles, reference guides etc.

For everyone that is willing to participate, please pm me with your mail address. As Rome was not build in a day I do not expect anyone to fill  half of the WICA (unless you would like so :) ), but I hope for people that:

- would fill at least 4/5 pages
- are planning to use the WICA and will be able to spot errors in already created pages and correct them or discuss.

People that are experienced with using wikimedia and have some tips what can be enhanced are also welcomed.

Ps. The book plugin is at that stage in some development and PDF renderer is somehow turned off. Single pages can still be easily downloaded to PDF, but not in a batch. I hope It will be working at the point when WICA get filled so I can export it and everyone can use whole WICA also online or even order a printed copy (there is such option in this plugin).

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »
Looks cool. I’m a bit old fashioned and like a PDF so I’m glad there’ll be an option to make a book.
I mix and match both versions of the game. I realise this may cause some extra rule text so maybe there could be secondary part of the clarification for people who like to mix things up.
Noticed the 2nd lot of Russian promos are missing as are the Essen tiles
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:47:22 PM by cidervampire »

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 06:28:11 AM »
Thank you for the remarks. Once we finish putting base stuff, it will be ongoing work of correcting and annotate. Still I intend to keep new version clean.
Russian promos are there by their names (baba yaga...)
I have added Spiel promos.

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
It was the second set of promos I was referring to https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/215144/carcassonne-solovei-razboynik-and-vodyanoy

Cheers
Geoff

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 07:58:14 PM »
Amazing idea!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Century Spice Road - 1st impressions with photos

Started by franks

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2017, 07:56:59 PM
by franks
xx
CAR bumper sticker

Started by asparagus

10 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 06:22:03 AM