Author Topic: Carcassonne: The Labyrinth Variant English Rules Translation  (Read 12742 times)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne: The Labyrinth Variant English Rules Translation
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 07:29:29 AM »
Also one global note: The English Carcassonne rules do not capitalize "meeple." I did not mark this throughout the text above since it would add a lot more noise to the comments.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 07:39:27 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions Just a Bill :)! It is getting late where I am so I will make the adjustments in the morning

Das The Labyrinth
In relation to changing this I am not sure if this is possible because the shadow may be an image but I will look into it.
"Where Is the French Monasteries Mini Expansion At?" -Guy Wondering Why Game Set In France Gets Expansions Set In Other Countries.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »
I can't see the example, but I am a bit confused about the final scoring. So there were 5 meeples on the feature? A third player's meeple is nowhere mentioned in these rules making it seem like all a player needs to do to win all the points for the Labyrinth is having anything on the feature. 5 cannot be divided in two cleanly so either Red and Black each have 2 meeples and another unmentioned player has one, or the example is flawed.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
I am a bit confused about the final scoring. So there were 5 meeples on the feature?

Correct:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:04:08 AM by Just a Bill »

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 05:28:11 PM »
Version 1.2 is now available you can get it here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=339
This version contains suggestions from Just a Bill. I would like to give a big thank you to Just a Bill for helping!

Das The Labyrinth
Unfortunately I wasn't able to change this. I believe this is because the black text is an image. When I have some time I will look into changing it.

[Editor's note: The single-tile labyrinth and its four multi-tile branches are treated as five "sub-roads" for the purposes of deployment and occupation, but the whole thing is treated as a single road for completion and scoring.]
There wasn't enough room for the editors note so it will have to be left out :(.

Also one global note: The English Carcassonne rules do not capitalize "meeple." I did not mark this throughout the text above since it would add a lot more noise to the comments.
All "Meeple"'s have been changed to "meeple"'s C:-)!

And for a final edit I added a line of text in the bottom left thanking Sinscerly and Just a Bill for their help :D!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:34:47 PM by InTheDark »

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 12:10:18 AM »
I am a bit confused about the final scoring. So there were 5 meeples on the feature?

Correct:

The Fifth meeple belonging to green was mentioned in Placing a meeple
Image:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:39:12 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Links fixed »

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • Why you have to be mad?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 04:11:47 AM »
Is it just me or the Labyrinth rules are the most unclear thing ever made? And thanks for the translation + merit!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 04:18:20 AM »
Is it just me or the Labyrinth rules are the most unclear thing ever made? And thanks for the translation + merit!
I think it is fairly straight forward. The concept being that the player on the tile itself is the owner of the labyrinth.  Any meeple on the roads connecting to it are trapped in the labyrinth until it is complete and the owner scores 2 points for every meeple trapped.  Then the road scores separately as if it is one continuous road. 

The anomaly is that you can always add a meeple to a road connecting to the labyrinth even if the other roads are already claimed and even if the labyrinth itself is already claimed.

It is as if the way through to connect the roads is not connected until it is fully complete.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 05:01:08 AM »
Your wording made it much easier to understand. Thank you, Rosco!

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 05:46:06 AM »
The labyrinth is a very dangerous tile! And if you play with IAC or/and Mage and Witch, it can bring a lot of points! ...and it adds a great graphic to the landscape too... I love it!  ^-^

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
I think it is fairly straight forward. The concept being that the player on the tile itself is the owner of the labyrinth.  Any meeple on the roads connecting to it are trapped in the labyrinth until it is complete and the owner scores 2 points for every meeple trapped.  Then the road scores separately as if it is one continuous road.

But this is not correct. You are giving the 2-per-meeple bonus points to the player who placed his follower on the labyrinth tile, but the rules give all the points to whoever has the majority across the entire labyrinth road network. Also there are not two separate scorings as you have suggested; it's all one. I would encourage you to read the rules again, and check the final example for confirmation.

Is it just me or the Labyrinth rules are the most unclear thing ever made?

Yes, they are confusing, as evidenced by the disagreement above. I initially struggled to wrap my head around how this all works, and coming back to it now after some time I had to "learn it again." Part of the problem is that the rules over-explain (lots of text for what should be a simple concept), which is why I wrote the Editor's Note trying to distill it down to its basics:

The single-tile labyrinth and its four multi-tile branches are treated as five "sub-roads" for deployment and occupation, but the whole thing is treated as a single road for completion and scoring.

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 12:56:35 PM »
The single-tile labyrinth and its four multi-tile branches are treated as five "sub-roads" for deployment and occupation, but the whole thing is treated as a single road for completion and scoring.

Man, you are really good. Thank you very much.

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 05:32:56 PM »

But this is not correct. You are giving the 2-per-meeple bonus points to the player who placed his follower on the labyrinth tile, but the rules give all the points to whoever has the majority across the entire labyrinth road network. Also there are not two separate scorings as you have suggested; it's all one. I would encourage you to read the rules again, and check the final example for confirmation.

Is it just me or the Labyrinth rules are the most unclear thing ever made?

Yes, they are confusing, as evidenced by the disagreement above. I initially struggled to wrap my head around how this all works, and coming back to it now after some time I had to "learn it again." Part of the problem is that the rules over-explain (lots of text for what should be a simple concept), which is why I wrote the Editor's Note trying to distill it down to its basics:

In my opinion the rules a quite simple after reading them a couple of times :).

The labyrinth is a very dangerous tile! And if you play with IAC or/and Mage and Witch, it can bring a lot of points! ...and it adds a great graphic to the landscape too... I love it!  ^-^
I hadn't thought of that! You could also score extra points by using the robber!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:18:51 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2017, 06:55:34 AM »
I think the labyrinth can really boost points for roads! With an inn, or the mage, or a German cathedral it can really be worth investing in!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 05:45:22 PM »
I think the labyrinth can really boost points for roads! With an inn, or the mage, or a German cathedral it can really be worth investing in!
And with the Variant rules it adds extra incentive to build it :)!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
English translation from Hans im Glueck-Almanac 2008

Started by tuckerr

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 07:22:52 AM
by tuckerr
question
Basic advanced Labyrinth rules question!

Started by cicerunner

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 09:23:52 AM
by Meepledrone
clip
Easter in Carcassonne rules in English

Started by gamgeefan2

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2022, 05:22:01 AM
by Decar
question
Rules for Carcassonne for 2 - English