Author Topic: 2016 World Cup - Group A  (Read 24328 times)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 World Cup - Group A
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
Grabushka 250 - Chooselife 199

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 08:53:31 AM »
12 games played, 3 left.
Grabushka guaranteed herself a place in knock-out stage.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2016, 09:04:45 AM »
Jacobo!

You must be less busy now based on the info you gave last week. You could email Grabushka directly or send me a PM and I'll be happy to be the facilitator. Cheers!

Offline What If?

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Carcasstoned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
Hmmm, I´m pretty sure I posted my last result here thursday evening after the game, now it´s gone. I´ve been wrong before so I´ll try again, but without the detailed game info now that I no longer have the original screenshot left:

WhatIf-Jma03, 207-181

The first decisive moment came when the river turned to lock Jma´s first meeple for the remainder of the game. Jma then played well, probably better than WI that sloppily gave the rye trade tokens to Jma03, but WhatIfs decision to keep the cathedral city unclosable proved to be good. In the end, in the north you can see two farmers trying the same move to win the large field, the one who did, me, won! Good, intense game.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:00:43 PM by What If? »
Maybe I shouldn´t buy kathars, what would I do next?

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
Congrats What If!

Lo siento jma03!

Now it's a "must win" situation for grabuska, otherwise she finishes 2nd which is not bad at all!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2016, 02:29:06 PM »
13 games played, 2 left.
Grabushka and WhatIf? guaranteed a place in QF. Final ranking will depend on Grabushka's game with jma03 (Jéré already has mentioned this).

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
2016 World Cup - Group A
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2016, 12:25:53 PM »
Some slightly bemused onlookers witnessed a Carcassonne Central World Cup Group A clash today between jungleboy and Chooselife at the esteemed Estoril Tennis Club. The final score was jungleboy 240, Chooselife 210.

In the end the 30-point difference was exactly represented by me (green) winning all three trade good majorities, largely thanks to being the player who completed the 72-point cathedral city with eight goods in it. Chooselife led throughout most of the game but I had the edge in the main farm (worth 44 points in the end) most of the way. We battled long and hard for this farm in the second half of the game and in the end I claimed it outright to win the game.

Thanks for the game Chooselife and may this be merely the first of many in-person Carcassonne battles!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2016, 02:13:29 PM »
14 games played, 1 left.
The only thing for sure is that jungleboy is on the 3rd place.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2016, 01:59:33 AM »
Some slightly bemused onlookers witnessed a Carcassonne Central World Cup Group A clash today between jungleboy and Chooselife at the esteemed Estoril Tennis Club. The final score was jungleboy 240, Chooselife 210.

In the end the 30-point difference was exactly represented by me (green) winning all three trade good majorities, largely thanks to being the player who completed the 72-point cathedral city with eight goods in it. Chooselife led throughout most of the game but I had the edge in the main farm (worth 44 points in the end) most of the way. We battled long and hard for this farm in the second half of the game and in the end I claimed it outright to win the game.

Thanks for the game Chooselife and may this be merely the first of many in-person Carcassonne battles!

Thanks to Jungleboy for the game, I couldn't remember the last time I played with expansions and in-person.
He was a fair winner and as always looser paid the tab. ;)
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2016, 05:27:37 AM »

(left side) A1 vs. B2, C1 vs. D2
(right side) D1 vs. C2, B1 vs. A2

I realise now that if Grabushka finishes 2nd, I'll be playing against her. That could be interesting!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
2016 World Cup - Group A
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2016, 05:37:16 AM »

What?  :o All trade goods, 72-pt cathedral city, main field worth 44 pts and you only win by 30 points. Wow, Chooselife must have been really good at completing other features like cloisters, mid-size cities, roads with inn maybe?

...the first of many in-person Carcassonne battles!

Did you forget your game vs. Grabushka already?  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:04:30 AM by Jéré »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2016, 06:01:27 AM »
I realise now that if Grabushka finishes 2nd, I'll be playing against her. That could be interesting!
See? Another reason to win last game for Grabushka! ;) (to maximize one family's chances to win the Cup)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »

(left side) A1 vs. B2, C1 vs. D2
(right side) D1 vs. C2, B1 vs. A2

Uh oh! Better get the sofa ready just in case...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2016, 01:53:08 AM »
It isn't especially uncommon for 3 players to be tied where A has beaten B, B has beaten C and C has beaten A. Who goes top then? C won't let A go on top because it should be him. But B won't let C go on top because it should be him. And A won't let B go on top for the same reason. So there needs to be something else, otherwise we have a 3-way stalemate. I know this isn't the same as a 2-way tie but it gets needlessly complicated when you start trying to resolve ties in different ways depending on how many people are involved. C:-)

I'm not challenging the rules here, but I think you are making this sound more complicated than it is. Every major sports competition that I can think of with groups or pools uses head-to-head as the first tiebreaker, and points difference as the second tiebreaker, regardless of the number of teams tied. You seem to be trying to find a system where there is only one tiebreaker needed, but it's very common (at the Olympic Games for instance) to have five or six potential tiebreakers in case the first four or five do not break the tie, e.g. in your example of a three-way tie where the players/teams are all 1-1 against the other two players/teams.

What?  :o All trade goods, 72-pt cathedral city, main field worth 44 pts and you only win by 30 points. Wow, Chooselife must have been really good at completing other features like cloisters, mid-size cities, roads with inn maybe?

The cathedral city was tied. But Chooselife did indeed complete a lot of cloisters, and he had a large unfinished city that gave him some end-game points too.

...the first of many in-person Carcassonne battles!

Did you forget your game vs. Grabushka already?  ;D

I am trying to forget that game! But I meant with Chooselife specifically, as I am moving to Portugal soon and we will live reasonably close to each other.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2016, 11:39:13 PM »
In the "I realise now" series:

If Grabushka wins, I'll be playing against What If? in the next stage and it is quite likely that we'll manage to play a game in person, somewhere in Sweden in the coming weeks!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2016 World Cup - Group C

Started by danisthirty

46 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 10:13:02 PM
by Chuck
xx
2016 World Cup - Group D

Started by danisthirty

59 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 04:27:07 AM