Author Topic: Carcassonne Special limited edition  (Read 21197 times)

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
Re: Carcassonne Special limited edition
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
It's only base game??? For that price I would expect all expansions that were ever made. In a box that looks cool like this one....
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »
In an attempt to restore some semblance of balance I think it's best to focus on what HiG were probably trying to achieve with this (and what they weren't)...

My belief is that HiG were probably looking to create an ultimate/ luxury collector's edition of Carcassonne that is delivered primarily through the box that it comes in, but also with certain items like the scoretrack and the printed rules. As far as I can tell, the tiles and the meeples are exactly the same as those included with any other edition of Carcassonne. If anything, it would have been more annoying (and not particularly surprising) if they'd included a brand new old-art promo with these editions of the game making them all the more desirable to those of us who like to be complete, almost forcing us to spend the money! But thankfully they haven't done that, which makes it easier to turn this down.

It's very easy for us to question why it only includes the basic game consider the price tag, but I don't imagine this will even have occurred to HiG as this is all about presentation and exclusivity rather than it is about the contents. Quality over quantity! And let's be honest, if someone is willing to pay €649 for this edition of the game then they've probably got everything else already anyway based on how much we've seen certain Russian tiles going for recently.

Also, think how long the rules would have to be to make sure every expansion interaction was covered! The box would need to be twice the size and would cost twice as much just to cover the cost of the paper!

I contacted Udo Schmitz of Carcassonne on Tour about this bo(ok)x and he told me that the high price is purely down to the labour and materials that go into each one of these (I think it's obvious from the photos on the Cundco site that these aren't just any old mass-produced boardgame container). Udo has invested over 150 hours of his own time with the architect of the books, and said outright that this is not a big profit project for them.

Just wanted to share some of my thoughts about this now that a few days have gone by and the initial shock is behind us!

EDIT: Here are some of the comments that have been made about the new edition on Facebook (remember that we have quite an international audience there and the translate function doesn't always work that well):

Quote from: CarcassonneCentral on Facebook
Pretty, but... um... no.

Wow. {name snipped} and I have an insane Carcassonne collection and I'm balking at the price of this...

At least they did one thing right with it, adding the correct graphics to the tiles. They lost me with abandoning the correct graphics for their new incompatible expansions, though. They have spoken and they don't want me as a customer anymore.

This has officially ruined me and my completionist instincts.

649 Euros!!!!

I need this.

{name snipped} it's so pretty, but so expensive

For my wallet, I hope not. As a matter of disappointment, he does fit well in the series
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:45:53 AM by danisthirty »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
72 landscape tiles, graphic artist: Doris Matthäus, size rd. 4,5cm x rd. 2mm (standard tiles), Meeples standard from the classical Carcassonne (8 Meeples each colour - colours: red, green, yellow, black, blue).

The score board is like the standard score board, only with 2 "cut" to make it small into the box.

The rules - I don't know more about it.

The box - hmm - high around an expansion box, not high like a base game box.

Offline domergamer

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
I was very excited when I saw the product.  The price point bothered me: even though I collect deluxe editions of the games I enjoy (like Small World Designer Edition), that'd still be by far the most I've paid for a game.

But after seeing what's in the box, I decided to pass.  Because I don't see the point of a really nice box if there's nothing special inside, and this doesn't seem special.  I know there has been relief that there weren't exclusives (and I respect that), but I was disappointed there wasn't at least some difference between the mass production meeples/tiles.... especially at that price point.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
So... has anyone bought one of these yet?

Is it wrong to say I'm tempted? I mean... (hopefully) beautifully made, handcrafted, exclusive, the materials.. price is what is is but considering there are millions of copies and of those only 100. I'm going to sleep about this but bloody hell, it looks brilliant.

How was your sleep? ;)

Offline Christianmocking

• Duke
  • Merit: 8
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 11:34:07 AM »
Nope...

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 12:02:57 PM »
So... has anyone bought one of these yet?

Is it wrong to say I'm tempted? I mean... (hopefully) beautifully made, handcrafted, exclusive, the materials.. price is what is is but considering there are millions of copies and of those only 100. I'm going to sleep about this but bloody hell, it looks brilliant.

How was your sleep? ;)

Rejuvenating  ;)

Didn't buy it. If there would have been special tiles, I would've.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 12:23:05 AM »
I guess if someone was to buy it, he already did, anyway, here is some photos of the piece I have received recently. It is all about looks, so will not comment much. If you have questions, fire away. I just have to tell you that opening is really awkward.

Offline toastytoast

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 2
  • Hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2018, 01:05:27 AM »
The big question is will it be played with or remain on the shelf?  ;D

The folding scoreboard is pretty neat!

Offline Christianmocking

• Duke
  • Merit: 8
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2018, 02:15:17 AM »
I guess if someone was to buy it, he already did, anyway, here is some photos of the piece I have received recently. It is all about looks, so will not comment much. If you have questions, fire away. I just have to tell you that opening is really awkward.

Is it worth the money?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 02:40:04 AM »
Thanks for the great photos Maj! 8)

Is it worth the money?

- As a boardgame that can be picked up for 1/40th of the price: :(n)
- As a special piece of Carcassonne's history and a chance to own an edition of this classic game that is unrivalled in terms of quality and exclusivity: :(y)

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 03:16:19 AM »
- As a special piece of Carcassonne's history and a chance to own an edition of this classic game that is unrivalled in terms of quality and exclusivity: :(y)

Indeed. It is more of an investment. I plan to do some special meeples to it. Different stones, metals, more exclusive wood etc.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »

Indeed. It is more of an investment. I plan to do some special meeples to it. Different stones, metals, more exclusive wood etc.
Be happy with it, I would say. It's not laid down for everyone to have one. Enjoy it :)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 07:01:27 AM »
An exclusive version of the score board. That will have some completionists in a right pickle! Must have, must have!!!!!
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
That will have some completionists in a right pickle!

It will also cure some of their completionism. I always wonder why manufacturers would want to do that.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
xx
Special Edition of Carcassonne for HiG's 40th birthday - IDEAS PLEASE!

Started by danisthirty

76 Replies
Last post May 28, 2023, 03:22:45 PM
by Ker42
xx
Special edition of the river with weird numbers on the back

Started by BBG

2 Replies
Last post November 10, 2023, 11:36:28 PM
by BBG
clip
WTS - The Castle special edition

Started by RybkaPipka

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2022, 02:27:19 PM
by RybkaPipka
xx
WTS: 70 points scoreboard, Carcassonne limited editions (sealed), Ark of the Covenant (sealed)

Started by Christianmocking

6 Replies
Last post December 06, 2018, 06:56:18 AM
by Christianmocking