Author Topic: another new Mini-Expansion "Carcassonne - Darmstadt"  (Read 101448 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: another new Mini-Expansion "Carcassonne - Darmstadt"
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2014, 09:28:32 AM »
Am I the only one bothered by the Darmstadt expansion? I decided not to buy it because it's just a promotion and it's not medieval, so for me it's not in the spirit of the series. I thought it would just be something quirky for the completionists and it wouldn't really be integrated into the game - and I thought most of the big fans of the game on this forum would see Darmstadt the way I did.

But now I see it has become very much integrated into the Carcassonne world here - people are making halflings with Darmstadt tiles, people are including it in their base game setup etc. And this annoys me in an irrational way. Does this mean any city can just make random Carcassonne tiles that have nothing to do with the game? Will we have Eiffel Tower tiles and Reichstag tiles and Jet d'Eau tiles soon and if so, will everyone rush to buy them?

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
Am I the only one bothered by the Darmstadt expansion? I decided not to buy it because it's just a promotion and it's not medieval, so for me it's not in the spirit of the series. I thought it would just be something quirky for the completionists and it wouldn't really be integrated into the game - and I thought most of the big fans of the game on this forum would see Darmstadt the way I did.

But now I see it has become very much integrated into the Carcassonne world here - people are making halflings with Darmstadt tiles, people are including it in their base game setup etc. And this annoys me in an irrational way. Does this mean any city can just make random Carcassonne tiles that have nothing to do with the game? Will we have Eiffel Tower tiles and Reichstag tiles and Jet d'Eau tiles soon and if so, will everyone rush to buy them?
I didn’t like the Darmstadt the first time I saw them. But I have a little completionist devil on my shoulder that insisted that I had to get them. ???

When I got them I was disappointed with the colour on the fields, and that the churches was so big. They really stand out in a game, and not in a nice way. The churches are not medieval, but at least they look old. The Darmstadtium is just as wrong as you can get it, and will newer be used in my games.

My conclusion will be that I don't like the Darmstadt, but in a peculiar way I am still glad that I got hold of one copy. It must be my little devil >:D

I included the churches from Darmstadt in my take on the Haflings, just for the fun of it - and they look better when small, I think. ;)

Offline Hovari

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • Just one more round?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »
Has anybody done translation for the rules?
it's hard to navigate in carcassonne, because the map change constantly.

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
Has anybody done translation for the rules?
Her is the translation:
Here's my attempt at creating an English rules sheet for the Darmstadt tiles, using the familiar Carcassonne rules look.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B62Qt7XfvzblWWlhelpEVThaOEk/view?usp=sharing

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:29 PM »
Oh, wow. I'm quite surprised of your opinion! I never thought that someone would say something negative about the Darmstadt-tiles. But now that you said it, I must admit: You're right! It's quite not-medieval. Still, I like the gameplay of the two chapels.

However, I never considered these tiles as not "official", since HiG collaborated with them. Well, now one could start a new Porxada discussion, but for my share: :-X
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2014, 09:06:27 PM »
Yeah, I think Darmstadt is a step up on the "official" ladder from La Porxada but a step down from Spielbox. The fact that the tiles were printed on actual cardstock is something in its favour, but it seems to be more of an official-nod expansion than a full official expansion. I don't expect to see this available from Cundco ever. That being said, you could say the same thing about the Games Quarterly Expansion or Cult, Siege & Creativity, both created by a distributor rather than Hans im Glück. If you want to play the "official" game, then things get murky quick. Kettlefish is needed, though, to make the call.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »
I also agree.
The monasteries are old buildings. They fit in.. lucky its only 3 tiles.
But im not waiting on a Eiffel tower indeed.

You cold say that this whole set becomes a "world" expansion. Darmstadt, de kloosters, die moasteries in germany. Its kind of awefull that all the new monasteries use the same mechanics. If they would change a bit..

Haha lol.. i can see the great wall.of china starter tiles coming xd

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2014, 11:30:39 PM »
I am beginning to see the Klösters for exactly what they are: cloister replacements. I didn't at first, but I've changed my mind. I think I'll just swap all of my cloisters out with Klösters. They look cooler. Once I get some Abbots, I also plan to give each player one of those. Only Abbots will be able to use the Monastery mechanic. I like that rule.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2014, 01:56:48 AM »
You cold say that this whole set becomes a "world" expansion. Darmstadt, de kloosters, die moasteries in germany. Its kind of awefull that all the new monasteries use the same mechanics. If they would change a bit..

But see, I really like the new monasteries and I'm hoping for more from other countries. For me these are a brilliant addition to Carcassonne because they:
(a) stay true to the medieval theme of the series
(b) offer interesting and beautiful new artwork
(c) involve 'travel', different countries etc
(d) it adds an interesting gameplay dynamic, although as Whaleyland said, it would be better if you could only use one abbot

But in Darmstadt, the (a) is not there. So all my interest is gone even if (b), (c) and (d) are there.

So I am a 'purist' here. I just don't want modern buildings infiltrating my medieval landscape, in the same way that I wouldn't mix old Carcassonne and new Carcassonne tiles - for me it ruins the whole experience that Carcassonne offers.

Yeah, I think Darmstadt is a step up on the "official" ladder from La Porxada but a step down from Spielbox. The fact that the tiles were printed on actual cardstock is something in its favour, but it seems to be more of an official-nod expansion than a full official expansion. I don't expect to see this available from Cundco ever. That being said, you could say the same thing about the Games Quarterly Expansion or Cult, Siege & Creativity, both created by a distributor rather than Hans im Glück. If you want to play the "official" game, then things get murky quick. Kettlefish is needed, though, to make the call.

I agree with you here except that GQ11 and CS&C stay true to the theme of the game and Darmstadt doesn't. I just don't see what it has to do with the Carcassonne series at all. That's why I thought/hoped it was more of a gimmick than an official expansion.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2014, 02:55:03 AM »
I dont.have any complains yet aboit the monesteries! butwho knows what other countrys add! if they add though

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2014, 03:04:58 AM »
I dont.have any complains yet aboit the monesteries! butwho knows what other countrys add! if they add though

This guy certainly doesn't have any complaints about the monasteries either:

:)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:10:27 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Khonnor

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
    • ~ add me on Facebook ~
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2014, 03:18:29 AM »
You know, I feel the same way. I did not buy the German/Dutch/Belgian monasteries and I never would have the Darmstadt tiles if it was just those tiles. But, it also came with expansion tiles for Catan and Village and I had to buy 20 copies of Darmstadt either way so I bought a copy for myself as well.

We played with it since Essen 1 or 2 times, but I do think I will remove these from play in a while and just keep them in the box with unplayed expansions  ;D

If they ever release French monasteries or a boxed expansion with all the monasteries I might pick it up for completion sake, but for now I have no interest in them.

On another topic.... I do wish they will release a set of the Abbot meeples in all colors.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
I said pretty early that I don't feel the need to own these.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I don't really feel the need to own the Klosters either.  I'm on the fence with Belagerers since there are six tiles.  10 in one game is way too many though.
Flee the fleas.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
...it's that damned gorilla beating on my back...gotta havit gotta havit gotta havit  :o
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Grzeju

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Greeting from Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 11, 2014, 12:07:54 AM »
And here it is. You can make another present for Christmas.

Info from Darmstadt, i recived today:

For our international customers:

Your patience is finally rewarded, now it is possible to order the anniversary die cut sheet to "Darmstadt spielt" with extensions to Carcassonne, Midnight Party, Settlers of Catan, Village Port and Zooloretto on our website. The rules and the text of the Midnight Party tiles are in German, maybe we will have a translation for download later.

The die cut sheet costs including international shipping € 12.00, the payment is via Paypal (this is the simplest technique, especially for the foreign buyers)

Click here to go to the order page: http://www.darmstadt-spielt.de/darmstaedter-erweiterungen/

Viel Spass, have fun,
Michael Blumöhr

I ordered my copy already.

Greetings

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A copy of "Die Belagerer" for either "Die Katharer" or "Die Kornkreise I"

Started by Hylian87

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 03:04:52 PM
by Hylian87
xx
Mini Expansion "German Castles" for Carcassonne-on-Tour 2015

Started by kettlefish

104 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 05:54:59 AM
by ARabidMeerkat
xx
Mini-Expansion "German Kathedrals" for Carcassonne-on-Tour 2016

Started by kettlefish

160 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 12:18:12 AM
by stalcupojoy
xx
ZMan release "new" mini-expansions -- Really festival 10??

Started by theaeblackthorn

9 Replies
Last post March 01, 2018, 07:07:29 AM
by Maj. Frost
xx
RGG "Princess" rule change a case of wrong trsl. or established for "retheming"

Started by Hounk

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 01:30:40 AM
by Hounk