Author Topic: New Expansion: Japanese Temples!  (Read 45333 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: New Expansion: Japanese Temples!
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2016, 10:33:23 PM »
Why do you all think its new art?

Because nobody likes it? :)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2016, 12:14:14 AM »

True. But still, they made the effort to at least try to make something.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2016, 02:17:17 AM »

True. But still, they made the effort to at least try to make something.

Yoda once said: "Do or do not, there is no try" :)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2016, 03:21:44 AM »
Still I think its better then nothing.

Offline ned_ballad

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2016, 04:59:00 AM »
Intersting that this expansion was made for the original art but them moved to the new art. It definitely shows this expansion has been in the works for a while and that it was a conscious effort by Hans im Glück to make it the first promo expansion in new art. Kind of weird, though, and I have to question using Wikipedia for the sources. Is Wikipedia the source for the Japanese rules, too?

Doris Mathäus didn't do the feature art, did she? That would be a weird amalgam if she did.

Why do you all think its new art? The grass is so much different from the carc 2.0 version.

Other than being slightly different green colored, the grass is Carc 2 grass. The roads are also Carc 2 roads.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2016, 06:15:44 AM »
Still I think its better then nothing.

I guess your opinion is as good as mine,  but I prefer nothing than a botched job. And we already have 2 similar expansions in the Monasteries serie, which isn't nothing... so there is no rush to release another one. I'd buy Igloos in Greenland if it is correctly done :D

Offline ned_ballad

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2016, 03:31:05 PM »
Just had a chance to play a 4 player game with these.

Uhh... they are not really balanced at all for slightly large decks. The River + Traders and Builders + Inns and Cathedrals + The Maze + the original monasteries because why not? + a second pack of 8 city tiles I bought and this thing is just broken. If you never draw one, you simply cannot win when people are getting 25+ points per Japanese Temple on huge, congested boards on long streaks of tiles, due to the River.

There's is absolutely no reason to take this as an Monastery. I can't think of any situation where you'd want to give up 25+ points for a potential 9 points, unless you were down to just your Phantom or something and didn't want to bog it down all game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:34:11 PM by ned_ballad »

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2016, 11:13:55 PM »

Uhh... they are not really balanced at all for slightly large decks. The River + Traders and Builders + Inns and Cathedrals + The Maze + the original monasteries because why not? + a second pack of 8 city tiles I bought and this thing is just broken. If you never draw one, you simply cannot win when people are getting 25+ points per Japanese Temple on huge, congested boards on long streaks of tiles, due to the River.

There's is absolutely no reason to take this as an Monastery. I can't think of any situation where you'd want to give up 25+ points for a potential 9 points, unless you were down to just your Phantom or something and didn't want to bog it down all game.

So everything you say applies to the German monasteries or Belgian monasteries or presumably Elbonian High Places.

First;ly it is harder with 4 players. With 2 you are likely to at least get say 2 of them. Also the more they invest into long term stuff the more you can invest into farms and cities. Also it may be possible to block the growth of monasteries influence - especially effective if they are on the same line. I'm not convinced it's unbalanced.

Also there is the choice of expansions. You had the labyrinth, right? That definitely sucks meeples out of the game. When the labyrinth comes up again it might be possible to trap the opponents meeples in the labyrinth rather compete. Sure you still losie out on points. But committing a meeple for the whole game is its own cost.

Also there are other expansions that balance things out a little. Towers allow you to capture an abbot. Very nice if done to a long-time abbot. Fliers enable you to get in on the act after the fact.

Also the original rules say the special monasteries should displace the normal ones but we have never played that.

Edit: It should have been "The Most Sacred Shrines of Elbonia that look exactly like Mens' Restrooms Expansion Including Statue to the Monkey God Oobanoobah". For reference see http://dilbert.com/strip/2012-06-18 and http://dilbert.com/strip/2010-10-17
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:47:55 PM by asparagus »

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2016, 01:55:08 AM »

I had a game yesterday with 42 points for a monastery.  But we couldn't take all 6 of them because of the lack of meeples.. When you draw 1 near the end of the game it's a bit harder to get more then 15 points for it. this because you need to place it on the edge of your board..

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2016, 02:00:26 AM »
I had a game yesterday with 42 points for a monastery.

You did  not say if you won the game.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2016, 02:29:44 AM »

No my girl won by winning a 156 points farm.. Long live the bridges..

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2016, 02:31:49 AM »

No my girl won by winning a 156 points farm.. Long live the bridges..

Long live the bridges indeed! Bridges are a tool in the conspiracy that is Big Farming.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »
If you never draw one, you simply cannot win when people are getting 25+ points per Japanese Temple on huge, congested boards on long streaks of tiles, due to the River.

Perhaps include P & D next time so that you can at least attack them with the dragon and stand a chance of re-claiming with a magic portal?

Offline ned_ballad

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2016, 05:38:43 PM »
If you never draw one, you simply cannot win when people are getting 25+ points per Japanese Temple on huge, congested boards on long streaks of tiles, due to the River.

Perhaps include P & D next time so that you can at least attack them with the dragon and stand a chance of re-claiming with a magic portal?
Don't own it. Not out in the US yet, in Carc 2 style.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »

Don't own it. Not out in the US yet, in Carc 2 style.

It's not out in the UK yet either but it's available from Cundco if you don't mind having the box and rules in German.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
WTG: Japanese Temples

Started by Push

11 Replies
Last post December 09, 2017, 12:20:39 AM
by Christianmocking
xx
Stalcupojoy's Wants & Trade Offers (Japanese Temples, Labyrinth, and more)

Started by stalcupojoy

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 08:45:05 AM
by Rhoobarb2005
clip
WTG: Japanese Temples

Started by Push

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2018, 08:57:47 AM
by Push
xx
[WTB] Japanese Temples