Author Topic: Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?  (Read 13602 times)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:32:54 AM »
At Thirsty Meeples cafĂ© in Oxford, JT Atomico and Curt194 managed to play 8 different versions of Carcassonne.  This seems an impressive achievement, but it can and no doubt will be bettered.  I have come up with a quick list of 18 versions below that all belong to the Carcassonne family of games and I bet that I have missed a few others.  Is anyone in UK up for a marathon session and an attempt at bettering 8 versions?

I have no idea when/where etc.  just a gauge of interest at this stage.

Arc of the Covenant  *
Cardcassonne
Carcassonne    *
Carcassonne II
Gold Rush    *
Hunters and Gatherers    *
My First Carcassonne
New World
Over Hill and Dale
South Seas     *
Star Wars
The City
The Castle
The Dice Game
The Discovery      *
Travel Carcassonne
Wheel of Fortune     *
Winter Edition       *

I have the 8 asterisked versions.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2691.0
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative World Record Attempt 2016?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:08:32 AM »
This sounds great! I would definitely be up for being involved :)

I have all of the games and I would probably be able to host it at my office in London (which is where I play my Mega-Carcassonne games) if that would interest anyone?

There are a couple of other versions that we could count if we wanted to round it up to 20:

Carcassonne II demo version
Winter edition print & play version

Oh, and to celebrate the record we could play a game of the unofficial Adults Of Carcassonne drinking game!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:46:18 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:03:04 AM »
This is a great idea! Wow, JT you have them all? Well, that makes it super easy, I thought the logistics of getting all the games in one place would be the biggest challenge. If it's in London, I'd love to be involved.

Some random thoughts:

- The Castle is a 2-player game. If you had more people (say 4 or 6) involved in the day, you'd need an extra copy or two of the Castle so that everyone could still get to play it and therefore be part of the record.

- I'm not sure the PnP winter edition needs to be included to be honest. Is it the same artwork and everything as the regular version? But Adults of Carcassonne at the end is a superb idea.

- With 20 games at 40 minutes per game, that would be 13 hrs 20 minutes with no breaks. At one hour per game, it would obviously be 20 hours. But even at 15-16 hours in total, that's pretty doable in a single day with an 8-9am start. My first Carcassonne and the demo version would obviously take less than 40 minutes so you could make up some time there. I have no idea about the dice and card game. Documenting scores, photographing etc would add a bit of time too.

- An overhead camera for a timelapse of each game would be brilliant.

- All players would have to read up on the games they're unfamiliar with so that there would be no time wasted on explaining rules.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:15:43 AM »
This is a great idea! Wow, JT you have them all?
Yep :) http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2542.msg37541#msg37541

- The Castle is a 2-player game. If you had more people (say 4 or 6) involved in the day, you'd need an extra copy or two of the Castle so that everyone could still get to play it and therefore be part of the record.
Depending on numbers, we could have some sort of rota so that people could move around between games. Even if we had 8 or 10 people interested we could work out some complicated system of moving people around!

- I'm not sure the PnP winter edition needs to be included to be honest. Is it the same artwork and everything as the regular version?
The artwork is unique and was separately released by HiG, so I think it is official enough to count if we wanted.

I only have a copy printed on cardboard, but it looks ok.

- An overhead camera for a timelapse of each game would be brilliant.
:(y) Yeah, we should definitely make sure to get good video, photographs and statistics of the day!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:31:38 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link fixed »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:39:29 AM »
- I'm not sure the PnP winter edition needs to be included to be honest. Is it the same artwork and everything as the regular version?
The artwork is unique and was separately released by HiG, so I think it is official enough to count if we wanted.

I only have a copy printed on cardboard, but it looks ok.

OK, in that case I agree that it should be included.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:32:12 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link fixed »

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
I'm very much up for this! Had a lot of fun playing through the spin offs on Saturday and this sounds like great fun too.

I have Hunters and Gatherers, The discovery and Cardcassonne but it sounds like we are covered there anyway, but I can bring them as spares if need be.

A rota for the castle makes sense, we would also need to consider the castle with it being a max of four people (in case all the other games end up with 5 players in them).

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:58:51 AM »
I like the idea a lot. Imagine this community setting all kind of records we'd be making a landmark!
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 11:21:57 AM »
Hi Paul,

Glad to hear that you like the idea.  I don't want this to detract from your recent World Record heroics in any way.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »
A page in the famous book entirely for carcassonne

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
I think this is a really good idea, it would be nice for many members here at CarcC to meetup again and play through all these spin-offs together.  I would certainly be up for it!

I do have mixed feelings about holding the event in an office though.  I feel a very large part of the appeal of our meetups has been they have all taken place in public places.  Remember the local-gamers we met in Rugby last year?  And although we didn't have so much interaction with others on Saturday, because the table was booked.  I would have been happy to introduce the game to someone who wanted to know more.  Plus, being able to tell the guy who worked there I already knew how to play The Castle, did surprize him!

We also left a postive message to the larger gaming community, thanks to Twitter, when Thirsty Meeple replied: https://twitter.com/Carcassonne/status/726772006486740993

And this is just in the UK -  Remember Paul's recent 10k game was played with an audience watching at a local convention, again leaving a positive message about Carcassonne and Carcassonne Central.

For me, playing in an office makes the event feel a little exclusive; even if we advertise here and on Twitter I do not think our interaction with others would be the same.

These are just my opinions though and it's not to say I'm fully opposed and I think it's a very kind offer and it's great to have the location as an option to play at, especially if people think it's simpler to organize.

On two side notes: I know some of our other UK members are based in the Northern-half of the country.  I think they would like to try to organize an event so their travel is less arduous.  I believe we may have another event post-UK Expo , pre-Essen.

I have also been thinking about a 2-day event based in a hotel, which maybe good for something like this, a Carcassonne Central Convention perhaps!  People could come one day and play, then if they wished to play into the night they could easily stay or go home, gaming could continue the next day too.  Travel would be easier if people wanted to stay the night, but I've not started to investigate venues and I would probably look at doing this next year now.

Also, you may want to wait until AFTER Essen, when a new spinoff game will be announced!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:30:50 PM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
I definately agree with Decar. It should be held in a public place to attract an audience. It's a wonderful feeling even there was just regular people and no cameras or interviews.

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear that you like the idea.  I don't want this to detract from your recent World Record heroics in any way.

Quite the contrary. And if I was the spark I would only be honoured.

I'm seeking new records to attain but still undecided if it will be Carcassonne related.
  Two ideas of many are MegaDescent or MegaCatan.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:34:34 PM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »
I definately agree with Decar. It should be held in a public place to attract an audience. It's a wonderful feeling even there was just regular people and no cameras or interviews.

Imagine if a random person, having never played Carcassonne played all the spin-offs with us.  That would be a real achievement!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »
Maybe Draughts, where Decar, Dan and I met for some games a few months ago, would host it for us, especially if there's a bit of cross-promotion involved. They're open from 10am-midnight on Saturdays which would give us a 14-hour window.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
And imagine that random person being me. ;)

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 02:05:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm fine with it being wherever. I only suggested that because it would be easy to organise. I'm not that keen on bringing all of my games somewhere public if the idea is to let random people join in (definitely made me nervous with all of my expansions in Rugby!), so we'd need some way to source them all.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
World Record Attempt 2016

Started by Paul

226 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 02:17:43 AM
by jungleboy
xx
The 'Alternative' World Cup League

Started by TheSteveAllen

123 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 09:08:08 AM