Author Topic: Custom "Expansion Sets"  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Custom "Expansion Sets"
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
I don't know what it is, but I really don't like how it takes so long for individual expansions to be collected together. I mean, I was probably one of the few people thrilled with Count, King & Cult when it released. The idea of a unified expansion set including four previously- (or simultaneously-)released expansions was a good thing since so many people had never had the opportunity to get many of those expansions before.

As such, and because of our recent discussion of The Catapult's likely never-again-release, I thought I'd look at the back catalog of expansions, large and small, that have released over the years and how they may best be re-released as Count, King & Cult-style sets. Oh, and I do acknowledge the idea of Corn Circles, Tunnels & Plague from RGG, but it does not come into consideration here. This is what I've come up with:

First off, Expansion #7: The Catapult 2, this time with Siege Camps and Dukes instead of a physical catapult and romance. To beef up the expansion, there Corn Circles I would be included with 60 player chits for the new mechanics. Total components: 18 tiles, 6 Followers, 1 piece of wood, and 60 chits.

Second, Wheel of Fortune 2, which would include the central tile, 22 Wheel tiles (adding 3 from the current allotment) and 10 Festival tiles (with the 10th anniversary symbol replaced with something more generic). In addition, The Phantom would be included in a new wooden mold (and all six additional colours would be made available online). Total components: 32 tiles, 6 Followers, 1 piece of wood (Pig), and 1 large start tile.

Third, The Friends of Carcassonne, a special expansion of all of the CundCo special expansions except The School (since that is a special expansion with a specific purpose). So this would include The Windroses, The Monasteries of Germany, The Castles of Germany, and Halflings II. To beef this one up, basic game player pieces in Orange, Pink, Purple, and White would also be added. (Sorry, expansion pieces would be available as a separate lot purchase on the website). Total components: 24 tiles and 36 Followers.

Finally, Spielbox Special Edition, an expansion that includes The Besiegers, The Tunnels, The Plague, Little Buildings, and Halflings I. This would obviously be a slightly lighter expansion so would cost a bit less (or not since it would technically qualify as a licensing deal). Total components: 22 tiles and 52 chits.

Any other ideas or variants? I think it would be fun to try these out as lot games, too. Let me know what you think!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2146.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Custom "Expansion Sets"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 01:34:16 AM »
Friends of Carcassonne cold include the Dutch Monasteries too - and rather than extra player colours what about a Phantom re-release?

Would be nice to see the 6-tile Cult and maybe a 6-tile Tunnels would be nice.

The Carcassonne Minis could make a single expansion - 36 tiles + CC2.

I always thought that Bridges, Castles and Bazaars + Abbey and Mayor would make a nice set too; both are lacking on tile counts.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 01:56:53 AM »
I don't see, what's so special about "Crop Circles I", at least unless you aim for 100% completion. And if you are in that target section, you probably prefer, that some tiles remain more obscure. And for a big release with merchant distribution I doubt, there would be a market for that.

All in all, I think the tile configuration of the first implement is very basic, and one of the tiles, the RRRF is even badly designed, because you would never guess, that there are supposed to be three individual roads rather then one big road, unless referring to CAR.  Also think, 12 tiles would be a bit much for that expansion, so never consider adding both sets. Probably not even in very, very big games, it is not one of my favourite expansions anyway. So in total, I'm totally content with the version, I have, for me CCII is rather a refined upgrade of Version I, not a "sequel" to it.

I really like CK&C, too. Still, off all the expansions I missed, I would only consider Tunnels appealing to me. If they get reprinted at one point (Matthäus style), like hinted by kettlefish at some point, I will sure get them, no matter, if they will be repacked with other stuff, I'm not interested in or already have.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:59:07 AM by Hounk »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 02:11:32 AM »
Friends of Carcassonne could include the Dutch Monasteries too –
Technically this is a 999 Games expansion, not a HiG or Spielbox expansion, which is why I didn't include it. Also, including it would cause extra confusion with the German Monasteries.

and rather than extra player colours what about a Phantom re-release?
I included the Phantoms in the Wheel of Fortune 2 expansion idea.

Would be nice to see the 6-tile Cult and maybe a 6-tile Tunnels would be nice.
I agree that a six-tile Tunnels would be fun, but I don't think a 6-tile Cult is possible, or at least not the RGG one since that was an exclusive to them and I don't think ZMan or HiG got rights to that one tile. Still, I agree that Cult should have a sixth tile.

The Carcassonne Minis could make a single expansion - 36 tiles + CC2.
I completely agree and rather regret that I left it out. I just skipped right over them when I was mocking this up! Oops. Carcassonne Minis—Complete Collection. Total components: 46 tiles (your count was wrong, there are 8 tiles per box), 8 Message tiles, 12 Followers, 1 Die, 18 (?) gold bricks, 1 Mage, 1 Witch, 8 Ferries. Wow. That would be a large box expansion and probably a bit chaotic to play all together.

I always thought that Bridges, Castles and Bazaars + Abbey and Mayor would make a nice set too; both are lacking on tile counts.
Perhaps, but they are en par with Hills & Sheep, The Catapult, and The Tower in components, so I have to disagree here. Tiles may be low, but the extra components make up for that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:13:09 AM by whaleyland »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 02:18:15 AM »
Never was good at counting them; I've only played BB5 2player once and I have to say all the mechanics were a mess. A fun mess; but still a mess. We finiahed with a 100point differential too. The russian publisher sells the minis as a single expansion. Ill post a picture later if i can find it.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 02:30:49 AM »
Total components: 46 tiles (your count was wrong, there are 8 tiles per box)
Actually, there are even 9 tiles per box, so 54 in total. I agree with Decar though, that some of the later expansions are a little small in content. Especially, if you compare them with a gigantic expansion like P&D. But A&M is such a nicely put together piece, I wouldn't like the repacking with another expansion. With further elements, which support the barn concept (castles, besiegers) perhaps. But not with BC&B in total.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 03:01:45 AM »
The russian publisher sells the minis as a single expansion. Ill post a picture later if i can find it.
Ooo! I'd love to see that!

Actually, there are even 9 tiles per box, so 54 in total.
Touché, although I meant "expansion", not "box", and I counted the Messengers separately since, although they are technically tiles, they don't function as such.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 03:26:48 AM »
This is how the Russian publisher boxes everything I think it's great:

Base Game or A Big Box:

Or:

Wheel of Fortune ( with Castles, Bridges and Bazaars)

Carcassonne: Suburbs and Inhabitants

Carcassonne: Nobels & Towers (inc: CC1)

&&

Carcassonne: Science and Magic

The last one has to win a prize for craziest box art.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 03:35:02 AM »
I very much approve of this whole series. It looks like all the large expansions (except conspicuously The Catapult) are covered without duplication. And that last box is crazy! Was that art officially made by the Doris Matthaus or was it just a strange amalgam of the various expansion art put on a generic background. Come to think of it, that background looks a lot like the old Corn Circles, Tunnels & Plague box... Hmm... Do you own the last box?

Edit: Now I just feel dumb. They took the cover of the base game and added water to the foreground. Duh! I forgot to ask, is there a unified watermark on the tiles in this expansion?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:38:15 AM by whaleyland »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 03:39:40 AM »
I'm missing WoF and this box - next order form Russia I might include them.

It looks like a photoshopped box of base carcassonne with the mini-expansion box art splatted over it.  I think it's great.

it's not this:

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 04:05:15 AM »
I would say, they copied the cover art of the base game from scratch, probably engaging another artist, and only (obviously) photoshoped the original art from the minis inside.

So "Nobels & Towers" probably does not feature the "King" expansion, because it is included in "Suburbs and Inhabitants"? "Hills & Sheep" is also not included.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:09:22 AM by Hounk »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A copy of "Die Belagerer" for either "Die Katharer" or "Die Kornkreise I"

Started by Hylian87

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 03:04:52 PM
by Hylian87
xx
WTB expansion coloured meeple sets

Started by ooh_jim

14 Replies
Last post December 21, 2015, 07:28:15 AM