Author Topic: Can the Cart Meeple get past a Monastery?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Can the Cart Meeple get past a Monastery?
« on: August 11, 2020, 10:48:59 PM »
If you use the cart to score a road that leads to an incomplete monastery, you can move the cart to said monastery.

But, if there's another road on the other side of that monastery, can the cart get past the monastery and be placed on the road?

I ask this because in the official rules, if two roads are divided by an intersection, the cart can get past that intersection and "jump" to the other road if it just scored the first one. Does a monastery that acts like an intersection between two roads follow the same rule? Or can the cart be placed only on the monastery, but not the road on the other side?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4754.0

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Can the Cart Meeple get past a Monastery?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 11:51:38 PM »
Hi Drodo!

If you are using C1 rules for the wagon, you won't be able to move your wagon from a completed road to another incomplete road driving through a monastery (or city or any other feature). Your wagon can move form road to road if they are connected through an intersection with a village, some trees, etc. Check out this clarifications:

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor_(1st_edition)#cite_note-35

If using C2 rules, you will be able to move your wagon from a completed road on a tile to another incomplete road on the same tile or on and adjacent tile. The monastery (that is, the feature ending the road) is irrelevant... The charm of following the roads with your wagon is broken for the sake of simplicity, as you can see here:

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor#3._Scoring_a_feature_4

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 11:57:26 PM »
I've always used the C1 rules. I didn't know C2 was different.

Why did they change it? Which version of the cart rules do most players use in here?

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 02:37:24 AM »
I never understood why they changed the rules. We always play by the C1 rules. It makes sense that wagons are driven over roads or through gates.
KITT from Knight Rider was not built yet in the middle ages, so it's too early for jumping carts :-)

With the C1 rules, it is more challenging to place the wagon at the right time if you want to benefit from its special ability. If you can jump around the different tiles like with C2, then everybody can do it :-)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 03:27:11 AM »
KITT from Knight Rider was not built yet in the middle ages, so it's too early for jumping carts :-)

;D ;D ;D

I think there were so many limitations added in C1 that it became very annoying to move the wagon with so many features in later expansions that the wagon could not drive through: towers, fairs, castles, bazaars, circus areas, acrobat areas, watchtowers, fruit-bearing trees, crop circles, festivals (in C2). In C1 even villages (due to tollhouses) should not be allow the wagon to drive through...

Don't ask me why all these limitations... I would think that common sense should prevail here and let you drive your wagon through any of these features as you would in real life (driving through or arond) and only forcing you to stop at features like cities, monastic buildings and other claimable structures. Connectivity through roads has its charm.

Just to make things more complicated: HiG posted this FAQ about the wagon movement on their site from 2014 to 2017, slightly contradicting some clarifications from 5/2013, where the wagon could not move between touching cities.

Clarification from 5/2013:

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor_(1st_edition)#cite_note-33

FAQ on HiG site posted between 2014 and 2017:

Wohin darf der Wagen?/ Was ist ein angrenzendes Gebiet?

Der Wagen darf in ein angrenzendes Gebiet.
Ein angrenzendes Gebiet ist ein Gebiet (Straße, Stadt, Kloster) welches visuell an ein anderes Gebiet angrenzt.
Dies beinhaltet unter anderem Straßen, die Stadtmauern berühren, Brücken, die andere Gebiete überlagern und Städte, deren Stadtmauern sich berühren.

---

(translation)

Where can the wagon go?/ What is an adjacent area?

The wagon is allowed to enter an adjacent area.
An adjacent area is an area (road, city, cloister) which is visually adjacent to another area.
This includes, but is not limited to, roads that touch city walls, bridges that overlay other areas and cities whose walls touch each other.

Nice, huh?  >:D

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 03:43:20 AM »
Well more logic is C1 rule for me.
But C2 rule change that you are able to send wagon to tile which is in 9-tile "monastic" seuqere with middle of current tile where wagon is located.
In C1 you were able to move to any feature which is connected city, not depends how far is that feature (tile with it)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 04:49:16 AM »
Correct, in C1 the wagon could move to any tile of an unoccupied, incomplete adjacent feature, whereas in C2 you move to any unoccupied, incomplete feature on the current tile or an adjacent one.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Can you get Message when you get negative points?

Started by Bumsakalaka

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2022, 10:49:21 PM
by Scott
xx
Moast played board games past 30 years.

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2020, 07:48:59 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
A normal meeple and an abbot on the same monastery

Started by Green Builder

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2023, 05:08:12 AM
by NGC 54
question
Abbot and regular meeple on same Monastery

Started by Ireneu

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2020, 11:05:43 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
How can I get The Gingerbread Man mini expansion?

Started by InTheDark

11 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 05:09:41 AM
by Halfling