Author Topic: Kingdomino  (Read 11133 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Kingdomino
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 01:35:07 AM »
How well does that work - isn't there a new Red type?

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 03:54:34 AM »
How well does that work - isn't there a new Red type?

I swear I saw rules to do that, but I can't seem to find them.  The red type doesn't have crowns on them, so they would be rather useless without the additional rules.  I suppose you could make them "Wild" land.   I never played KD and QD together, which is supposedly doable.  I would think that KD would water down the red tiles in a 4 player game. 

You could probably find a KD owner willing to swap KD for QD. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:00:32 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 04:07:56 AM »
It lets you play 7x7 with 4 players, but not anything bigger for 2-players - which was a tad disappointing, unless that changes with the Giants.  Maybe we're getting close to 144/169 or another square number though for Uberdomino

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
Kingdomino is to carcassonne as queendomino is to wheel of Fortune.

More things to be done and for me ultimately more rewarding.

As my 10 year old nephew said "kingdomino is for Leo and queendomino is for older children"
Leo is his 5 year old brother. I had to smile.

I have not played Isle of skye, so cannot offer a comparison. But keeping up the analogy Isle of skye is perhaps for men?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »
...adults....I think you meant!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »
Maybe

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
I got Queendomino to the table and for what its worth, these are my initial, short thoughts that I contributed on the FEB. 2018 'New to you', geek list on BGG:

1 x 2 player
1 x 4 player

Initial rating 8 (BGG scale)

Nice step up from Kingdomino! Well thought out expansions of the original game that don't just seem tacked on. The building tiles are the meat of the expansion and my favourite change up are the tiles that give bonus points for having separate landscape features. This is a great way to have those separate areas pay off, even without crowns!

With both base games we prefer a 7x7 tableau and with only two games in, I slightly enjoyed that with 2 players better, the features of Queendomino are more prevalent in play. With the 4 player game we added the kingdomino set as suggested in the QD variants, this was still a very enjoyable game but all that QD brings is watered down. Again, still a very enjoyable game!!

At the moment I prefer the Queen and have less desire to play Kingdomino but wouldn't hesitate to use it as an introductory game or for a quick(ish) filler. Either way these are nice if you have space in the collection!
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
Great review, thanks franks - still not managed to get this to the table.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Kingdomino
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 07:10:04 AM »
I played yesterday with my 4 years old and it was successful. He absolutely adored some of the graphics on the tiles: shadow of the flying dragon, loch ness monster in the water, little wagons on rails outside the mine, etc! I had to argue a bit with him about creating a 5x5 square but he managed in the end.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:11:43 AM by Jéré »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 01:20:09 AM »
The art work really is something special - I almost considered buying the Giant version just so I could see what was happening a little bit clearer.  Glad he liked the game!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »
We just had our first game of Queendomino.....

I'm with franks on this one: We were quite surprised how much it added to the game.  Describing it, it sounded fiddly but after a turn or two it clicked into place.  I like the new rules about placement and the buildings and taxation and the queen just worked.  It's been elegantly integrated into (rather than added to) the core game mechanics.

I think next time we play we'd ditch the 0 cost building tile after every round just to keep the flow, but generally the tiles moved quickly.

It's quite a neat step-up from Kingdomino, but I can see why there's space for both, especially when the red zones don't have crowns, which I think would stop you playing Kingdomino with the Queendomino box.

After the game, we both managed to score 134 points, so it was a draw! But we decided my wife won because she perfected the 7x7, while mine was missing a key tile.

I'm contemplating a 14x7 mega game too :D

I'm looking forward to seeing what Age of Giants brings, but I'm concerned that at 2-players the Giants won't do much other than advantage the player who selects the most.

Several dismembered thumbs up here:  :(y) :(y) :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 03:47:13 AM »
Here's some photos of lastnight's game.

I went for taxation route, while my wife went for buildings, which ultimately gave her the victory.  The placement of the northern tile in the centre was a bit silly, but it gave me chance to get the 3xmine tile.

Here's the endgame board:

and two close ups:

I particularly like the tiny taxation meeple, made extra nice thanks to the boardgamebowls :)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
Decar, nice pix, glad to heat you enjoyed your first plays!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 01:43:26 AM »
Kingdomino : Age of Giants ordered today due to arrive on Saturday.

Offline Gagoune

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
  • To place or not to place...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 02:05:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

Firstly : sorry to dust off this old thread! It was the only one about Kingdomino... And that game is the game that shows me new way of board gaming.

I've discovered Kingdomino in 2018, bought it, played it a lot with my family and liked it a lot ! One year later, we bought Age of Giants and we liked the interactions that it creates and the new challenges. One more year later, we bought Queendomino. With that one, I've found the most mature way of playing this game (in my opinion) and I liked it sooo much ! During the first "stay at home" period, I've discovered "The Court" (the last PnP expansion to King/Queen-domino).

After I played Kingdomino and Queendomino with their extensions, I wanted to create an extension that could use all the preexisting expansions.

To do so I figured out it would be better to use what I’d create as an extension for Queendomino. At the end of this post I will share more about the full game use...

With that in mind, let’s say you have to play Queendomino with a few new things :
• A 5th player (with a new starting tile, a 3D castle and King meeples)
• 12 more dominoes from 49 to 60 (most part of “town” square)
• 24 Building tiles
• 15 Knights
• 13 Towers
• a ton of Coins
• a new “Builders” double board
• a second dragon...

Now, what’s new? you may ask. I thought it could be fun to add events to each in-between rounds. Each event would impact the coming round. Would it be a blissful or an unfortunate event for your expanding kingdom though?

Welcome to Queendomino: Fantastic Era !

You can try it out on this page here on BGG
Here's the link for the French version ici sur BGG

We tried this expansion with kids few times and it definitely added some fun to the game.

At least, I've received the permission from the publisher, so did publish a game entry !

So back to my first idea (and its rules) for an XXL version of Kingdomino's universe by adding the "Fantastic Era" expansion... And more !

As soon as possible, I will share the link to the files on BGG ! (just wait for the entry to be added !  ;))

Here is the link to the English version !
Here is the link to the French version !

After playing this for around 6 hours a game, and having so much fun... I finally understood that I was an hard core board gamer!!

And you, what are your thinking on these projects ? Let me know !  :))
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:10:23 PM by Gagoune »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter