Poll

Which version(s) of Cathars/Siege/Besiegers do you own or want to own?

I have all three of them
28 (27.7%)
I have one or two of them, and I want all three
23 (22.8%)
I have one or two of them, and that's enough for me
25 (24.8%)
I don't have any of them, and I want all three
7 (6.9%)
I don't have any of them, but I want to get one or two
15 (14.9%)
I don't have any of them and I don't want any of them
2 (2%)
Other (please explain)
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #1: Cathars, Siege and Besiegers  (Read 25439 times)

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
Re: Completionism Poll #1: Cathars, Siege and Besiegers
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 02:52:10 PM »
I have just caved in and bought a copy of Cathars. I believe my collection is complete with all officially produced expansions now (I am excluding La Poraxda).
I have a copy of all 3; Cathars, CS&C, and Besiegers.

I consider them separate as the art work is quite different, Rather than subtle differences such as watermarks, or a 70 point vs 50 point scoreboard.

I am now wondering if anything new will come out in Carc I artwork. Only time will tell.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2016, 01:23:18 AM »
I had only Siege, but when the Besiegers came out with two extra tiles, it seemed to me to be a new expansion (and easily available!) so I got it. Having the two of those expansions then sent my OCD (obsessive completion disorder) into overdrive and I got Cathars. So I now have all three, although I pretty much consider Cathars and Siege to be the same expansion with different artwork, and Besiegers as a separate expansion.

I love the idea of these polls, I'm looking forward to the opinion on the cult tiles, I'm never sure how many to play with!
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2016, 02:34:05 AM »
So, after one week and 40 votes, the most common answer (15/40, 37.5%) is that owning one or two of these three expansions is enough. Meanwhile, 13 people (32.5%) answered that they have all three while 8 more (20%) don't have all three but want all three. So, thanks to everyone for the range of opinions and great discussion in this thread. The poll will stay open and any future discussion of Cathars/Siege/Besiegers in terms of ownership/completionism is welcome in this thread, while for discussion of Cathars/Siege/Besiegers in terms of gameplay, head over to The Besiegers - Element of the Week #41.

The new Completionism Poll for this week is Completionism Poll #2: Crop Circles.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2016, 12:36:21 PM »
I have all three, and we do use them (cringe when they come out). Because the Siege tiles have intact walls, we use them to restore Besieged cities. (Our house rule: A Siege tile can negate a Besiege tile, and protect the city if it's alone in the city, but the Siege tile alone cannot add points to the city.) Anyway, we almost never play one without the other.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
What the poll actually shows is that over half the people consider you need all 3 for a complete collection.
Must have all 3, but a good portion of those who do not have all 3 want them.

In other words, I am an average, normal guy.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2016, 04:10:27 AM »
What the poll actually shows is that over half the people consider you need all 3 for a complete collection.
Must have all 3, but a good portion of those who do not have all 3 want them.

Yes, that's probably a better summary than what I wrote. It also depends on how much they 'want' them (i.e. at what price) but this is hard to build into the poll framework.

In other words, I am an average, normal guy.

Well, insofar as being borderline obsessed with placing cardboard tiles next to each other is 'normal'...  O0

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 01:45:42 AM »
I don't have the Cathars and sincerely although I want to have a complete collection these have the last priority.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 04:33:15 AM »
I have none of them, wasn't going out of my way to find any of them but I may have struck lucky on getting at least one of them.

Entering radio silence now on this subject (protecting my source until I have verified what I think I'm seeing by remote photo with my own eyes)
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 04:54:42 AM »
Entering radio silence now on this subject (protecting my source until I have verified what I think I'm seeing by remote photo with my own eyes)

Good luck with that :P

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 12:42:52 AM »
Good luck with that :P

OK - I can speak now. My eyes weren't deceiving me - but the goldmine wasn't as good a prospect as I hope... I bought the last the shop had.

Incidentally - it's an interesting shop that has some interesting items in it - http://www.mepel.pl - Located in Katowice, Poland - I was initially hampered by my lack of Polish language skills, but Mr Google Translate and a work colleague helped me out there and the fact that the store didn't ship outside Poland. I made an email enquiry (in English) and had an answer within an hour and my Besiegers are en route now.

Of potential interest to übercompetionists - Polish versions of many addons, Plague... Here's the Carcassonne Dept: http://mepel.pl/pl/searchquery/carcassonne/1/phot/5?url=carcassonne - anything that has a price on it in green is in stock... Prices are in Polish złoty (€1 = 4.4zł). Peter that runs the shop has also pointed out that they also sell organisers usable for many games - the example given is http://mepel.pl/zestaw-organizer-carcassonne-wszystkie-dodatki which clearly has space to store many meeples and expansion-related items... (the pieces shown in the picture are for illustration only and are not included).

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 05:18:40 AM »

Of potential interest to übercompetionists - Polish versions of many addons, Plague... Here's the Carcassonne Dept: http://mepel.pl/pl/searchquery/carcassonne/1/phot/5?url=carcassonne - anything that has a price on it in green is in stock... Prices are in Polish złoty (€1 = 4.4zł). Peter that runs the shop has also pointed out that they also sell organisers usable for many games - the example given is http://mepel.pl/zestaw-organizer-carcassonne-wszystkie-dodatki which clearly has space to store many meeples and expansion-related items... (the pieces shown in the picture are for illustration only and are not included).
There are two different New Editions of Carcassonne: Scandinavian with River for 60 Zloty, Polish without River for 85 Zloty. That's odd ...

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 05:22:57 AM »
Might just be a translation or transliteration error of course... you could always contact the store by mail if you're interested...

Offline Gabrielgeek01

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 05:53:47 AM »
I have both Cathars and Besiegers. I don't own siege because:
1) It's the same tiles as Cathars but with worse artwork
2) the siege tiles don't have a proper icon or watermark, so it's a pain to sort them out

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 06:36:15 AM »
2) the siege tiles don't have a proper icon or watermark, so it's a pain to sort them out

Personally, I don't find this part to be a problem. There's no watermark but the tiles themselves are much easier to see than other tiles without a watermark (e.g. GQ11), and they're even easier to spot than many tiles with a watermark because the Siege artwork is more prominent than watermarks are. I store mine in the same section of my Basically Wooden box as the Besiegers, and then the watermark on the Besiegers tiles differentiates them.

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2016, 03:55:33 AM »
I think the CAR document 7.4 (page 120) does sort this problem out about whether or not these are separate expansions:

'The Cathars expansion of 4 tiles was initially released in Spielbox in 2004, and because of its rarity, it has become one of the most sought-after Carcassonne expansions. Copyright prevented The Cathars from being reprinted by anyone except Spielbox, so Rio Grande Games developed Siege to be able to publish tiles with the same function. The four tiles in Siege tiles have the same functional layout as the tiles in The Cathars, but the artwork is entirely new. Thus, Siege is effectively a reprint of The Cathars with updated artwork. The rules for Siege are also almost identical to those for The Cathars; the only difference involves escape from a besieged city (see rules below).

Ultimately, Hans im Glück recognized the popularity of The Cathars and published The Besiegers in 2013 to allow players to be able to obtain this element of Carcassonne again. The rules are identical to those of The Cathars, but the geography of the Besiegers tiles and the tile artwork are all new. Interestingly, the 2014 version of the Besiegers rules includes the note: “This mini-expansion appears in the 2004 Spielbox magazine under the name ‘The Cathars’ (with only 4 tiles).” This seems to indicate that this expansion is considered a reprint rather than a new expansion, even though the tile features are different between the two sets.
'
If only I had another Halfling.....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Clarity for Besiegers, Cathars, and Siege

Started by Allograft

17 Replies
Last post February 23, 2021, 11:44:57 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
WTB: Tunnels / Besiegers / Cult, Siege, and Creativity

Started by Mike Stop Continues

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 03:29:53 PM
by chrismalenurse
xx
WTB/WTT The siege/belagerer/cathars

Started by lordvic

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2017, 02:43:45 PM
by Decar
xx
Cathars/Besiegers rule clarification

Started by MrNumbers

7 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 11:16:53 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Have: NIB all minis,GQ11 Catap,+stuff Want: Tunnel/besiegers/cathars (as all do)

Started by What If?

2 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 01:59:23 AM
by danisthirty