Author Topic: Carcassonne: The Castle, wall tiles question  (Read 4987 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Carcassonne: The Castle, wall tiles question
« on: March 20, 2015, 02:57:11 AM »
Recently I bought "Carcassonne: The Castle" and yesterday had the first game with my son. Very interesting mechanics, hard to get used to it :)
I have one question regarding wall tiles receiving: if the placement of a castle tile results in more than one [my] completed feature, am I allowed to score them separately and stop by in the middle to receive a wall tile? For example, I have 28 points, and I have completed a road and a castle for 4 and 6 points accordingly. Am I allowed to score a road first, stop by on "32", receive wall tile and move on to "38" with my castle's 6 points? Or I have to count 10 points all together, thus don't receive wall tile?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1627.0
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne: The Castle, wall tiles question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 04:34:46 AM »
Am I allowed to score a road first, stop by on "32", receive wall tile and move on to "38" with my castle's 6 points?

Yes. From the rules:

"If there are more than one [feature] to score for him or his opponent, the placing player decides the order."

This is not well explained but it means that features are scored separately, and the placing player decides the order. So if you complete two of your own features for 4 and 6 points, you can decide whether you move ahead 4 places, then 6 places OR 6 places first, and then 4 places. Obviously you will choose whichever way (if any) gets you a wall tile in between the two moves.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 04:50:37 AM »
OK, I suspected that. This indeed is not explained well. So, if strictly follow the rules, if I place a tile that completes 2 or more features for my opponent, the placing player (e.g., me) can choose the order of features' scoring also for my opponent? :o
So, basically, the question is in this word "order" - order the players receive points (me first or opponent first) or order the features get scored?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:27:21 AM »
So, basically, the question is in this word "order" - order the players receive points (me first or opponent first) or order the features get scored?

It means the order the features get scored. The order the players receive points is that the placing player receives points first. From the rules:

"When the placement of a castle tile results in more than one completed feature, the player placing the tile scores his completed features first."

So, if multiple features by both players are finished with the same tile, the placing player scores his features first and can choose the order of how he wants to score his features. Then the other player's features are scored, with the placing player again choosing the order.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 06:02:41 AM »
Then the other player's features are scored, with the placing player again choosing the order.

OK. Strange enough, but OK. I thought it must be consistent with, for example, Messages, where every player chooses order of how his features get scored, but here active player has more power.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne as wall art

Started by Carcatronn

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2020, 04:20:41 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
City wall pieces: is this a horrible idea?

Started by Green Builder

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2023, 10:51:32 AM
by Green Builder
xx
Game of Throne / The Wall / mix standart C2 and winter

Started by Le Merlin Fou

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2021, 01:07:58 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
To Castle Or Not To Castle?