Author Topic: Carcassonne World Cup!  (Read 49785 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne World Cup!
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2014, 05:46:55 AM »
We Germans have many tournaments here and the Carcassonne-on-Tour. And many of the Germans don't like to "talk" much in English...

I am a fan of Carcassonne, but I don't play it online - I love my real tiles and the coasters from Carcatronn.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2014, 06:25:30 AM »
I am a fan of Carcassonne, but I don't play it online - I love my real tiles and the coasters from Carcatronn.
I agree that tiles outweigh bits most of the time.

The catch is - if you and I want to play, are you paying the airfare to Canada?   :) 

Also - we have all our expansions in our Carcassonne bag, around 220 tiles.  Playing with JCloisterZone (JCZ) means you can select which expansions you want to use. 

It also is a good learning tool for expansions you don't have.  For example, we don't have the Mayors and Abbies, but we can play with it using JCZ to see how it works, and how it affects gameplay.

If we want to have a real quick game, we fire up JCZ.

An electronic version of Carcassonne is not a replacement for the real game, but it can compliment the real game in situations where the alternative is to watch TV or read or go for a walk....poor substitutes when the urge to play hits!
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2014, 04:25:19 AM »
We’re officially live!

If you’re taking part in this then hopefully you will have received an email from me within the last 30 minutes. If not, please let me know and I will re-send. Here’s a summary of who’s where in terms of groups though:

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:02:45 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2014, 04:42:33 AM »
We Germans have many tournaments here and the Carcassonne-on-Tour. And many of the Germans don't like to "talk" much in English...

If I had the choice, I’d definitely go for a real game with real tiles any day. The trouble is, it’s often very difficult to find people to play against, especially if you want a reasonably competitive game using half a dozen expansions or so.

The reason for the online tournaments isn’t because I prefer to play online than face to face. But in the UK, and in much of the rest of the world outside of Germany too I expect, Carcassonne isn’t nearly so well known and supported. I took part in our national championships a couple of months ago but that’s the only tournament or competition in this country as far as I’m aware; one competition a year and no Carcassonne on tour! If there were other competitions I would definitely be involved but alas, nothing is available...

So in view of the alternatives (i.e. none) I’d say that playing online is certainly better than hardly ever playing at all, and as much as anything else I’ve enjoyed getting to know other forum members and build friendships too. Hopefully this World Cup will be another opportunity to do the same.  :)

Offline Big Guy

• Authors
  • Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • I slipped away, like a THIEF in the KNIGHT
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »
Good luck to all entrants. Just got back from vacation and discovered I'd missed the entry deadline. Wish I'd signed up, but have fun everyone. I'll join the next one (which hopefully happens sooner than 4 years from now).

:c)
A good board game brings people together.

Check out my Variants:
THE TOWER (NCV)
PLAY AS THE DRAGON

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2014, 03:53:39 AM »
Thanks Big Guy!

Sorry you missed this, but I'm sure there will be another competition/ tournament again soon.

Plenty of time to get practicing!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:48 AM »
Each group now has it's own thread to track the group-stage action:

Group A: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=941
Group B: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=942
Group C: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=940
Group D: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=939

6 games have been played so far and 1567 points have been scored.

Jere in Group D is playing very well indeed having won all 3 of his games so far!  :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2014, 05:30:57 AM »
The World Cup of Carcassonne Central has now been live for one week; 13 games have been played so far and 3433 points have been scored!

One player has played all four of his games (winning three of them in the process!) and five players are yet to place a tile.

In addition to all this, the first of four secret spot prizes has already been won! I will reveal details of all four prizes (and their winners) at the end of the group stage so get busy playing...

Everything else aside, the main reason for this post was to bring you the following quick summary of the group and individual results at this stage of the competition. So here goes:

Group A:
monwil 154 - 131 rfielder
rfielder 261 - 218 Andrew the Ambo

Group B:
Rosco 185 - 166 danisthirty
Rosco 149 - 83 Weeby-Vuit
danisthirty 209 - 140 Weeby-Vuit
Weeby-Vuit 154 - 148 Beccaroo

Group C:
jungleboy 161 - 116 mas9dj
jungleboy 135 - 119 Farin

Group D:
Jere 177 - 95 AlbinoAsian
Jere 102 - 52 MrNumbers
Jere 130 - 98 BabyGamer
MrsNumbers 134 - 114 Jere
MrNumbers 181 - 101 BabyGamer

Please let me know if I've missed anything!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:04:44 AM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2014, 05:45:47 AM »
Thanks Dan!

I am curious to see if MrNumbers and MrsNumbers are going to play a local game with JCloisterZone against each other or a 'real' game with tiles and meeples.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:43 AM »
Thanks Dan!

I am curious to see if MrNumbers and MrsNumbers are going to play a local game with JCloisterZone against each other or a 'real' game with tiles and meeples.

Since there was interest to watch this game as a spectator from Jere and some others, we will play it using JCloisterZone, I think even on different PCs :) Because on one PC the opponents can see all other's mouse moves and may guess one's thoughts about tiles or meeples possible deployment places.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2014, 06:08:23 AM »
I think Becky and I will probably play our game using JCZ (from different laptops) simply so as to keep things consistent. I’ll be very annoyed if it crashes though, especially if I’m winning at the time! This said, I thought I was winning my game against Rosco and was very annoyed when it crashed. We were lucky enough to be able to load it again without any problem though, and Rosco went on to win it...

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2014, 06:11:21 AM »
I’ll be very annoyed if it crashes though, especially if I’m winning at the time!

In case of bad luck with loading your possible crashed "home" game you always can recreated the same playing area with your real tiles and finish the game "offline" :D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2014, 06:46:57 AM »
I’ll be very annoyed if it crashes though, especially if I’m winning at the time!

In case of bad luck with loading your possible crashed "home" game you always can recreated the same playing area with your real tiles and finish the game "offline" :D

We used JCZ to play a 4-player game on Sunday. My wife and I were on one laptop (in our front room) and our friends were playing from their house (not sure if they were sharing a laptop or not) even though they only live about 5 miles away! The game seemed to be going quite well (though not for me) but it crashed with 9 tiles left to place and we couldn’t reload it. One of our friends suggested determining the winner based on what the scores were before it crashed but I had my mega-meeple camped outside an 18-point farm and only needed a frxx tile to join him on and steal the points for myself so I wasn’t keen to do this.

We haven’t finished the game yet but I’m tempted to do exactly as you’ve suggested so that we can finish it off the next time our friends come round! This kind of defeats the purpose of online play but the thought of just leaving the game incomplete is simply too much for me to bear...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2014, 01:22:38 AM »
As I posted in the Group C thread, yellow and I are trying to arrange our match in Group C but neither of us can host. We have scheduled the match for 8pm Central European Time (GMT + 2) tonight (Tuesday). Can anyone host our game at this time? We can also delay it by an hour or two if that is more convenient for any potential hosters.

Alternatively, we are both available right now (10:20am CET) if someone is very keen to host us straight away!

Thanks!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2014, 01:29:04 AM »
I would be happy to host for you this evening. I’m at work at the moment so can’t host until this evening. Any time after 6pm UK time will be fine although I may be absent for some of it.

I believe rfielder leaves his laptop on permanently with a game ready to go, I’m sure he won’t mind you using it. I will email you the connection details – it may be worth a try...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
World Cup of Carcassonne Central - 2016

Started by danisthirty

109 Replies
Last post November 23, 2016, 03:49:58 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Carcassonne World Cup FAQ

Started by danisthirty

24 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 12:20:12 AM