Author Topic: The Abbot and The Messengers  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Sulaine

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Nothing endures but change. -Herakleitos
    • View Profile
The Abbot and The Messengers
« on: May 05, 2018, 06:09:46 AM »
I encountered a problem while playing with both The Abbot and The Messengers.
It goes like this:

-I play a tile that finishes my city.
-Instead of placing a meeple on that tile I remove the abbot from a garden on the other side of the board and score points.
-The points I score move my scoring meeple to a dark space. This triggers a message.
-I take a message that says "Draw and play an additional tile".

Drawing and playing an additional tile in the middle of the meeple placement stage is not exactly ideal. What am I supposed to do?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3945.0

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
Re: The Abbot and The Messengers
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 08:00:36 AM »
I encountered a problem while playing with both The Abbot and The Messengers.
It goes like this:

-I play a tile that finishes my city.
-Instead of placing a meeple on that tile I remove the abbot from a garden on the other side of the board and score points.
-The points I score move my scoring meeple to a dark space. This triggers a message.
-I take a message that says "Draw and play an additional tile".

Drawing and playing an additional tile in the middle of the meeple placement stage is not exactly ideal. What am I supposed to do?

Hi, Sulaine welcome to the forum!
I'm kind of confused by what you mean when you said "Drawing and playing an additional tile in the middle of the meeple placement stage is not exactly ideal" as it seems to me you have already done your meeple placement step when you took back your abbot as that is an option you can take instead of placing one of your meeples.
"Where Is the French Monasteries Mini Expansion At?" -Guy Wondering Why Game Set In France Gets Expansions Set In Other Countries.

Offline Sulaine

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 08:27:33 AM »
I'm kind of confused by what you mean when you said "Drawing and playing an additional tile in the middle of the meeple placement stage is not exactly ideal" as it seems to me you have already done your meeple placement step when you took back your abbot as that is an option you can take instead of placing one of your meeples.

In the Big Box 2017 the rules state the turn sequence as follows:

Step 1. Place A Tile
Step 2. Place A Meeple
       Or Remove And Score The Abbot
Step 3. Score A Feature
    Move Your Scoring Meeple Or Messenger Along The Scoreboard

If I finish a city in step 1, get a message in step 2 when scoring the abbot , I have not yet reached step 3 and scored the city I finished. Am I supposed to let the message I get in step 2 to wait until the end of step 3?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:37:51 AM by Sulaine »

Offline Sulaine

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »
Oh, and thank you for welcoming me.  :) I've actually been anonymously checking rules here for a long time. I finally had to register since I couldn't find a solution to this problem.

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »

Step 1. Place A Tile
Step 2. Place A Meeple
Step 3. Score A Feature

If I finish a city in step 1, get a message in step 2 when scoring the abbot , I have not yet reached step 3 and scored the city I finished. Am I supposed to let the message I get in step 2 to wait until the end of step 3?

If you look at page 24(the back page of the rulebook) it says that the drawing of messenger tiles happens during step 4 which occurs after scoring(step 3)

Offline Mikeagan

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • I am interested in any expansion for CARC2.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 09:17:12 AM »

Step 1. Place A Tile
Step 2. Place A Meeple
Step 3. Score A Feature

Here is what happens...
1. You placed the tile
2. You removed the Abbot early to score it instead of placing a meeple.
3. You score the Abbot and all features that are completed by placing the tile at the same time.
4. You move your scoring meeple the Abbot's points on the score board while moving the messenger all other points received. Thus one or both land on a dark space.
5. This causes you to draw a message which tells you to play another tile...
6. Since you have finished all the steps of the previous tile including scoring, you now place the new tile.

This is no different than if you would receive a bonus tile from the builder. Think of it like receiving a bonus play after finishing the current play. If playing with the builder and messengers, you can potentially place 3 tiles before play moves to the next player. Now just as you only can receive one bonus builder play, you only get one message per turn.
My CARC2 homemade expansions:
SUMMER GINGERBREAD MAN.

Offline Sulaine

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
Ok, thank you for the help. :) Apparently the problems were caused because I was scoring the abbot at the wrong time.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
The Bazaars & The Messengers – Element Match-Ups #13

Started by Whaleyland

1 Replies
Last post December 11, 2015, 01:19:07 PM
by kettlefish
xx
Fairy / Messengers interaction

Started by FireDoor

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2020, 03:26:24 AM