Author Topic: Top ten games!  (Read 17297 times)

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
Top ten games!
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Okay, even though Carcassonne might be a game all of us hold in high regard, there are also other games out there. Truth is ... Carcassonne is not among my top ten favourite games.

This is my list:

1. Space Alert.
This coöperative game is phenomenal. The stress level is extremely high and your mistakes are unavoidable. The hilarity when you realise that you or one of your mates has gone the wrong way and totally collapsed any and all plans for the rest of the round is unmatched. Pair this up with too much alcohol and you have the best evening ever!

2. Chaos in the old world.
Every player is doing his/her own thing. It is very asymmetrical, but almost perfectly balanced. Many games, when one player is declared a winner, somone else could also have won. Amazing game!

3. Power grid.
The old classic dry euro game. What can I say? We just keep playing it over and over. With the robot expansion this is also very good with two players.

4. A game of thrones.
Gather five of your friends and crush them! This is mayhaps even better if you have read/seen the saga it portrays, but even if you have not, this game is excellent.

5. Eat poop you cat!
If you want to laugh your lungs out, this is the "game" you should play.

6. Keyflower.
At least this game sports meeples ... This is such a clever game. You bid with your guys and you activate your tiles with your guys and you try to save some guys for later. You will never be able to get everything you want and you are in a constant shortage of guys. Such a great game!

7. El grande.
The grandfather of area-control games. All information is open and you just have to adjust. This was the first designer game I bought, and it still holds up as one of the most iconic games ever made.

8. Arkham horror.
This not so much a game that you play as it is a story in which you get thrown around. You do not really make a lot of important decisions, but rather react to what happens to you and on the board. Still - the stories it tells are amazing.

9. Dominion.
The first pure deck-builder. Usually I try to get an engine going; one where the cards can do some nifty combos. I rarely succeed. Classic game that fits in everyone's collection.

10. Catacombs.
This game is based on of of those ideas. You know the kind. The "why the HELL did I not think of it first?!"-kind. You flick your way through a dungeon, competing against an evil overlord. Simply fantastic!

This list is not the "be all end all"-list, but maybe you will get curious about one or more of the games here. Good luck trying them out! Now, tell me about your favourite games!  8)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1259.0
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Top ten games!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
I'm kinda envy. I don't have a top ten list.

All I have is Carcassonne!
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »
Let's see. My top ten are something like this:

1. Guillotine
2. 7 Wonders
3. Caverna
4. Ticket to Ride
5. Carcassonne
6. Dominion (with expansions)
7. Fleet
8. Incan Gold
9. Flash Point: Fire Rescue
10. Zooloretto (with expansions)

Yeah, so I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I don't enjoy heavy strategy game or games that take hours to play. I also can't stand bluffing games. Not only am I not good at bluffing, but I never know what's going on in them. I played an entire game of Shadows Over Camelot and everyone thought I was the saboteur. In reality, I just didn't have a clue what I was doing! Same with One Night Ultimate Warewolf: first time playing, no idea what I'm doing, everyone figured I was the werewolf. Yeah, I wasn't. Incan Gold is the closest I get, and that is a gambling game.

Offline SettlersOfMon

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:05:20 PM »
Here is my top ten:

1 Carcassonne
2 Snowdonia
3 Biblios
4 Ticket to Ride
5 Village
6 Agricola
7 San Juan
8 Blood Bowl Team Manager
9 Castles of Mad King Ludwig
10 Alhambra: The Card Game
Whatever I'm doing, I'd rather be playing Carcassonne!

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
There are so many great games .. and so little time for them all.

Here are my top rated games:

1. Carcassonne – No doubt about that
2. Heroscape – I love my tabletop games. I have painted dozens of minis. This is the easiest way to indulge that love.
3. D&D Adventure System (Castle/Wrath/Drizzt/Temple) – First played D&D in 1979 and its still a favourite theme. I play the very odd session but these sets let me indulge anytime I want.
4. Lords of Waterdeep – we just love this game and the setting helps for me.
5. Flashpoint Fire Rescue – another favourite solo games
6. Splendor – Great quick little game!
7. Elder Sign – More for the solo play. I also like the whole Lovecraft mythos.
8. 42 - A Trump game using Domino tiles. Played this to death in college days, including private tournament play. Still a fave.
9. Memoir 44 / CCA / CCN – I started hobby gaming as Grognard but have somewhat mellowed with age  ;)
10. Ticket to Ride – Just an all round great game
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:50:58 PM »
Great topic. I answered my top ten by asking myself "If I could play any game, what would it be?"

1. Samurai Favorite of Reiner Knizia's game. Shame about the anti-climactic game ending with the convoluted scoring.
2. Resistance Sue I enjoyed the game before, but with the newest expansions it just never gets old. Can play for hours and hours.
3. Keyflower Lucky to play it once or twice a year. The mix of mechanisms click with me. Great mix-up from game to game.
4. Powergrid New to this, but I'm hooked. I just can't get over how well this game is designed.
5. Carcassonne: The City My favorite Carcassonne base game. Much meatier than regular Carcassonne.
6. Cinque Terra With this I have no need for a 4-5 player version of Ticket to Ride.
7. Small World I'm a sucker for a game that has variable powers and abilities. Finding those HOT combos for different parts of the game keeps me interested.
8. CATAN Didn't play it until 2 years ago, but this classic is really fun for me when I play with people that play it to WIN.
9. For Sale A quick little bidding game that is great to take with you wherever you go.
10. Ticket to Ride: Nordic I love this until someone blocks my routes. Really Cut-throat.

I  still love Carcassonne, but I only really enjoy it with my regular Carcassonne group.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:53:53 PM by AlbinoAsian »

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:39:57 PM »
My top 10:

1- Carcassonne
2- Tichu
3- Dixit
4- Navegador
5- Coup
6- Eclipse
7- Koryo
8- Bang!
9- Tigris & Euphrates
10- Citadels

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »
I will not rank them because it depends how I feel, but my favourite games are

Carcassonne
Pandemic
Flash Point Fire Rescue
7 Wonders
Catan
Brew Crafters
Love Letter
Bang - The Dice Game
Ticket to Ride
Pandemic The Cure

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 11:55:57 PM »
1. Carcassonne - obviously.
2. Ticket to Ride - I have literary all expansions, except Marklin and Nordic.
3. Kingdom Builder - I love this game for outstanding variability.
4. Alhambra - individual tile game. Besides, it helps to train mental arithmetic, which it great for my son.
5. Scotland Yard - I like to be both criminal and detective. IMO, it is similar to chess: you should calculate several moves ahead to be able run away/catch.
6. Power Grid - though it is recommended to play from 12 years old, we already play it with my 7-years old son. It is good to understand economics through that game (Law of Supply and Demand, in particular).
7. The Settlers of Catan - old classics.
8. Qin - another similarity to chess, IMO: you should think ahead much.
9. Dixit - great creative party game.
10. Bohnanza - another party game with big trading element.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:40:44 PM by MrNumbers, Reason: Updated info »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 01:16:30 AM »
You consider "Settlers" old classic, but not "Scotland Yard"? SY is still fun, too, I have to agree, still it would not run in a "gaming group" that great as if played with kids. One aspect is, that you don't have to let them win, but if the group is big enough, they will win anyway, as long as they don't insist on being "Mr. X". One problem of the game seems to be for me the balancing. With 3 players, the detectives won't stand a chance, with more than 4 it get's really tough for "Mr. X".

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 01:44:52 AM »
I ran into Scotland Yard very late, literary this year, and I was really surprised it was published in 1983! And I agree that SY is the most balanced with 4 detectives.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 01:59:02 AM »
Well, I was introduced to "Settlers" last year, while "Scotland Yard" is something, I grew up with. Hadn't played it in ages, untill we had a few games this winter with an 8 years old boy, who loves it, because he always be winner (among the detectives). But I agree, it is still really enjoyable.

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »
I'm with my gf while reading this topic so we agreed to make a combined top 10, here we go!

1. Agricola
2. Power Grid
3. Carcassonne
4. Alhambra
5. Ticket to Ride: Europe
6. Settlers of Catan
7. 7 wonders
8. Puerto Rico
9. Dixit
10. Risk

As you see we are all up for very mainstream commercial games, always betting safe on games of the year, ecc.
Gotta catch 'em all

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
Been a while, still don't have a top ten, but before Carcassonne we always played Dungeon Quest (the original Swedish version). I have both the old 1.0 with expansion and the new version was bought as a gift for my sister.

I did like Saboteur as well and I loved Monopoly because I was undefeated almost a decade until one day in Belgium everyone ganged up on me hard and refused to trade with me.  :P

Hopefully this Summer we'll have more time for games and I can see myself investing in a game or two now and then, even if most of the games cost around 50-90 Euro here in Sweden. Maybe time to look at Ebay or Amazon for cheaper prices as well.

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »
my top ten is not very wide .
1.carcassonne
2. mus ( Spanish card game )
3 chess
4 dixit
5 risk
6 parchis
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
question
Top 10 Games - Poll #6

Started by Decar

17 Replies
Last post June 22, 2017, 04:36:58 AM
by wolnic
xx
Top 10 Games - FINAL POLL