Author Topic: Mega Carcassonne 2016  (Read 6299 times)

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
Mega Carcassonne 2016
« on: February 21, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
A few weeks ago, I played my third game of true Mega Carcassonne which included every tile in print. I have played two previous games like this in 2013 and 2014. New tiles for this game included The Castles and Halflings, which added a good set of options for known tiles; The River III, which made the start tile bag alone quite large; and some new rarities such as the Russian and Darmstadt promos.

Six of us were playing and the game took us a total of 13 hours to finish. We were too tired to precisely score up all of the final fields, but the winning score was approximately 1500 points! I finished up in a slightly disappoiting fifth place, having won the previous two Mega Carc games.

As is sometimes a problem with big games of Carcassonne, the main farm was game-breakingly huge! It had about 60 cities in it which meant that if you were purely playing for score the only sensible thing to do was to try and join farmers in (since it was barned) and get 2 points each time by placing your big. We made an agreement to stop doing that as it got a little boring.

The monasteries are also very powerful in such a large game, easily grabbing at least 50 points if you are lucky enough to draw one or magic portal / fly on to one. Combined with the message that allows you to immediately score any follower (so removing the chance to attack another player's abbot with the dragon or the plague or a tower!), they were also a little over powered.

That notwithstanding, it was a thoroughly enjoyable game! It is always fun trying to work through how all of the rules play in with each other when playing with all of the expansions!

My favourite turn of the day was finding a perfectly constructed two tile hole for my German Castle. It was very satisfying to drop that in and score it immediately :)

Here is the all important photo of the final board:

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2466.0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:21:26 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link fixed »

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Carcassonne 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:21:50 AM »
Brilliant! I'd love to give this a go. Well done!
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »
And no brain melted at the end of the game? I'm impressed. :D Thanks for the photo!
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 01:35:44 PM »
Mert for your craziness and great write up.  It looks like it might be easier to list whats not being played!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 01:06:24 AM »
Merit for the nice report!

As is sometimes a problem with big games of Carcassonne, the main farm was game-breakingly huge! It had about 60 cities in it which meant that if you were purely playing for score the only sensible thing to do was to try and join farmers in (since it was barned) and get 2 points each time by placing your pig. We made an agreement to stop doing that as it got a little boring.

This should be a part of the strategy of barn owner - he could close his barn farm and try to made it impossible for further connects. Quite a challenge! ;)

The monasteries are also very powerful in such a large game, easily grabbing at least 50 points if you are lucky enough to draw one or magic portal / fly on to one. Combined with the message that allows you to immediately score any follower (so removing the chance to attack another player's abbot with the dragon or the plague or a tower!), they were also a little over powered.

Never thought of this combination of expansions (Messengers+GM) in such way! There could be some good strategic turns in that :)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:12:12 AM »
This should be a part of the strategy of barn owner - he could close his barn farm and try to made it impossible for further connects. Quite a challenge! ;)
Hehe, that's a little hard to do when it takes up pretty much the whole board and there are so many edges to get in on :)

Another interesting part of the big field was that everyone managed to get their barn in to it! This actually isn't particularly difficult to do when you have so many tiles and a couple of bridges each (which make joining games much simpler).

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 04:29:25 AM »
Hehe, that's a little hard to do when it takes up pretty much the whole board and there are so many edges to get in on :)

Another interesting part of the big field was that everyone managed to get their barn in to it! This actually isn't particularly difficult to do when you have so many tiles and a couple of bridges each (which make joining games much simpler).

I was going to ask if that might have been the case. Makes for an interesting strategy with the farm though, connecting followers constantly to score a few points from it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:51:40 AM by Christopher »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 05:20:53 AM »
I've been waiting for your write-up for weeks. Really enjoyed reading it, and looking at the photo too!

Merit for you. :(y)

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »
the teapot is too small for that game ¡¡¡¡  ;D ;D

interesting reading and image¡¡¡

my games with my friends usually 2.5 hours .
And when played two , my head 's take usually smoke.

I would like to try one of those,it has to  be vibrant

merit for you

When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
"Mega Carcassonne" at the 2016 UK Games Expo (maybe)

Started by danisthirty

101 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 11:07:45 AM
by Decar
question
Meeples for Mega Carcassonne

Started by Nebus

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 08:49:13 AM
by Nebus
xx
Mega Carcassonne Tile Balancing