Author Topic: Carcassonne Special limited edition  (Read 21185 times)

Offline cletus81

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • updated profile!
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Special limited edition
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
I am pretty sure they won't find 80 different persons able to spend this money and they will be forced to riconsider the price sooner or later.
The problem is HOW MUCH they can drop this price, since my willingness to pay is not exactly close to the current price... Only the "Invisible Hand" knows the answer!  ;)

I am sorry but crowdfunding is not an option in this case, we are not a museum or a tennis club where every member can take pleasure of a shared good, but a web community, we will never find an agreement about the custody of this precious item...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 01:21:41 PM »
If they're not in a hurry to sell them why would they drop the price? It's not like they're going to go out of date. Even if it takes a year or two they'll still sell them eventually.

Judging from the information on the website it looks like these would have been very expensive to make so it might be that they can't/ won't ever drop the price if the profit margin is already quite small.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 01:58:44 PM »
Guys, I think you have missed an important detail: they are made only "on demand". There is zero financial risk for cundco.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
Guys, I think you have missed an important detail: they are made only "on demand". There is zero financial risk for cundco.

Indeed. I hadn't spotted that either. Well, I sort of had but it hadn't occurred to me what it might mean as things like this can often amount to nothing if they're badly translated.

So if they are having these made and there is no demand then it might just be that they decide to cut their losses after a set period of time and it becomes an even smaller print run making them even more exclusive! :-\

Offline cletus81

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • updated profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 02:21:55 PM »
If they're not in a hurry to sell them why would they drop the price? It's not like they're going to go out of date. Even if it takes a year or two they'll still sell them eventually.
But I am not in a hurry to buy it, for me it is worth to check the price sometimes!

Judging from the information on the website it looks like these would have been very expensive to make so it might be that they can't/ won't ever drop the price if the profit margin is already quite small.
If the profit margin is quite small, why they decide to produce such a risky item? Suppose they paid each copy 500 €: this means they invested 50.000 € for just a 10% profit (consider VAT) in the best case they sell them all at this price. It is hard to believe...
I am pretty sure that HiG didn't pay more than 100/150 € for each copy. On the other hand, if they paid each copy 100 €, in order to get back the invested capital, it is enough to sell 20 copies; at this point, they can keep this price forever without any risk. But if they won't sell more than 2 or 3 copies in few months, maybe they will riconsider the price. For me it is not so hard to believe it: until now I didn't find a single person with this willingness to pay...

Are you sure about this? If it is true, there is no chance to get a smaller price.
If HiG is looking for the "most unpopular board game editor of the year", today we can already assign the prize for 2018...  >:(
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:46:56 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 02:41:47 PM »
If the profit margin is quite small, why they decide to produce such a risky item? Suppose they paid each copy 500 €: this means they invested 50.000 € for just a 10% profit (consider VAT) in the best case they sell them all at this price. It is hard to believe...
I am pretty sure that HiG didn't pay more than 100/150 € for each copy. On the other hand, if they paid each copy 100 €, in order to get back the invested capital, it is enough to sell 20 copies; at this point, they can keep this price forever without any risk. But if they won't sell more than 2 or 3 copies in few months, maybe they will riconsider the price. For me it is not so hard to believe it: until now I didn't find a single person with this willingness to pay...

You could well be right and maybe this will be what happens. However, I heard from my anonymous source (and I'm not sure whether this is classified so I'll whisper it) that they cost €400 per unit to produce. :-X

I can't speak for their financial motivation behind the decision to do this, but we have seen before that HiG are prone to making questionable business decisions in the past. At least as far as us - their fanbase - are concerned anyway. Shrug. ???

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 02:46:26 PM »
Is it wrong to say I'm tempted? I mean... (hopefully) beautifully made, handcrafted, exclusive, the materials.. price is what is is but considering there are millions of copies and of those only 100. I'm going to sleep about this but bloody hell, it looks brilliant.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »
If you look at the product images on the product page itself you see there is a slot for all the tiles, a bigger slot for all the meeples but then there are two smaller slots left over but for what?  :o ???

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 01:28:42 AM »
Tempted to buy a copy and then raffle it to carc central members at £10.00 a ticket. Winning ticket to be drawn in public, somewhere with other carc central members in attendance.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 01:37:54 AM »
Not a bad idea. Looks like you'd break even at 61 tickets although you'd also have to ship it so maybe 63 to be on the safe side? If you get more than 120 you might even be able to spend your profit on a box for yourself!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 01:47:04 AM »
Limit of 80 tickets so I am not making obscene profit.

Offline blaice

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • Carcassonne: An enduring obsession
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 01:57:36 AM »
I think dirk2112 said it best on your Completionism post; something something cancer analogy. This Carcassonne special edition is enough to make a cat laugh. And, you know, I would've been almost OK with purchasing had it been a re-release of the entire Carcassonne "alte kunst" collection to date. That would've been pretty enchanting. But as it stands, the base game alone isn't enough to move me. Has anyone yet brought up that this could've been a KS? I know a lot of people associate KS with small distributor/publisher outfits trying to make some cash (or at least break even) but this could've been an absolutely wild KS. I can imagine the pledge unlocks would've been channelled along the ascension of rarity, starting with basic expansions and crescendoing through Die Katharer, Die Belagerer, and Kornkreise etc. with a bunch of cool adds/mods unique to the KS. Either way I'd be pissed, given how much gold I've thrown at this obsession over such a short yawn of time... just to see it devalued with a complete and unabridged release of Carcassonne. Not that I intend to sell my set, but it's always good to look after it.

On that note, does anyone ever worry that HiG/Cundco will re-release some day? Effectively rendering a hard-won Kornkreise to as a common a tile as the base game starter. Not that it's at all a bad thing given the stultifying supply/demand at the moment, but after only recently (over)spending on some of the usual suspects it is something I think about haha

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 04:50:38 AM »
What I do wonder is: are the tiles any different? Not art-wise but is it just a regular Carcassonne copy in a beautiful box with some extras or are these tiles handcrafted as well?

Offline Chartreusito

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 07:11:32 AM »
Limit of 80 tickets so I am not making obscene profit.

Ok, that was a good one !

but frankly, this price is... i have no words. Even Smallworlds Designer Edition was cheaper, and it included every piece of the game so far... in a very limited edition.

I would never consider it missing in a Carcassonne collection, even for hardcord fans. That's just far too pricy.
I play purple !

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
Wow, talk about innovation! Nobody foresaw a profoundly over-produced retread product designed for the wealthy and/or for fools who can't think of any better way to put 650 euros on their credit card.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
xx
Special Edition of Carcassonne for HiG's 40th birthday - IDEAS PLEASE!

Started by danisthirty

76 Replies
Last post May 28, 2023, 03:22:45 PM
by Ker42
clip
WTS - The Castle special edition

Started by RybkaPipka

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2022, 02:27:19 PM
by RybkaPipka
xx
Special edition of the river with weird numbers on the back

Started by BBG

2 Replies
Last post November 10, 2023, 11:36:28 PM
by BBG
xx
WTS: 70 points scoreboard, Carcassonne limited editions (sealed), Ark of the Covenant (sealed)

Started by Christianmocking

6 Replies
Last post December 06, 2018, 06:56:18 AM
by Christianmocking