Poll

Which version(s) of the monastery expansions do you own or want to own?

I own German and Dutch monasteries and I will get more for other countries ONLY if they're in the old artwork.
26 (40%)
I own German and Dutch monasteries and I will get more for other countries regardless of whether it's old or new artwork.
23 (35.4%)
I own German and Dutch monasteries and that's enough for my collection even if more are released.
1 (1.5%)
I own one of the two sets of monasteries and I want the other set.
1 (1.5%)
I own one of the two sets of monasteries and that's enough for me.
8 (12.3%)
I don't own either set of monasteries.
5 (7.7%)
Other (please explain below).
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #6: German/Dutch Monasteries  (Read 13943 times)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Re: Completionism Poll #6: German/Dutch Monasteries
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 05:30:47 AM »
What about German castles and the upcoming German cathedrals?

Nope, guess that shows how much interest I have in those as I completely forgot about those.

Besides those, I have every official expansion with old artwork (as far as I know), including original cathars, siege and belagerers, windrose I&II, Corncircles I&II, River I-II-III....

Back on topic: no interest in country specific promos, like these german/dutch/whatever monasteries, castles and cathedrals. If they were French versions, I might get them if easily available (for example at Spiel or Cundco), but not a must. Anything else with old art, probably immediate must-buy.  :blue-meeple:

There are so many expansions these days, that the world of Carcassonne no longer fits in France alone guys xd!, By now the tiles reached The Netherlands and totally covered Germany.

Napoleon all over again! hahah

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 07:07:51 AM »
What about German castles and the upcoming German cathedrals?

Nope, guess that shows how much interest I have in those as I completely forgot about those.

Besides those, I have every official expansion with old artwork (as far as I know), including original cathars, siege and belagerers, windrose I&II, Corncircles I&II, River I-II-III....

Back on topic: no interest in country specific promos, like these german/dutch/whatever monasteries, castles and cathedrals. If they were French versions, I might get them if easily available (for example at Spiel or Cundco), but not a must. Anything else with old art, probably immediate must-buy.  :blue-meeple:

Even though this expansion brings with it a totally unique rule which can yield more points than farmers in larger games (Abbot)?
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »
I own both expansions and quite like the look of the tiles, however they can be quite over-powered. Being lucky enough to draw more monasteries than your opponent can have a huge effect on the score, especially in a large game.

I will definitely buy more if they come out, regardless of which art they are in, but that is mostly because I would buy anything with Carcassonne written on it :P

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »
I own both expansions and quite like the look of the tiles, however they can be quite over-powered. Being lucky enough to draw more monasteries than your opponent can have a huge effect on the score, especially in a large game.

I will definitely buy more if they come out, regardless of which art they are in, but that is mostly because I would buy anything with Carcassonne written on it :P

The power also comes with the option of turning your monks into abbots, which can yield more points than a farmer!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 01:24:16 PM »
But you cannot place a monk and later change your mind and turn him into an Abbot.  You must choose when you place it.   

I was think of a variation in the rules which could combine the Abbot meeple with a German monastery.   I.e. A normal meeple is always a monk,  an Abbot meeple can choose and he can be scored as an Abbot and returned to your supply as your move the wood phase of your turn. 
- Draw a cloister
- place a meeple as a monk or an Abbot as a monk or add an Abbot.
- Score

- Draw a German monastery
- Place an Abbot as a monk or as an Abbot.
- score
- Draw any tile and place
- don't place any meeple
- return the Abbot
- score
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
Made a writing mistake! Was supposed to say 'the power also comes with the option of chlosing a monk or abbot, which can yield more points than a farmer!' Sorry for misleading you into believing something else

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
I think there should be a more general Abbot rule for the entire game, with or without the German/Dutch Monasteries:

• Each player begins the game with an Abbot.
• An Abbot may always be played on a Cloister as an Abbot following the rules of Abbots according to the German/Dutch Monasteries rules.
• Abbots may never be played as Monks; Monks may never be played as Abbots. They are mutually exclusive figures.
• Gardens (from Carcassonne II) count the same as Vineyards (from Hills & Sheep). Players may not place any Follower on either feature.

Bonus rule when playing with Cult Places:
• Abbots placed on Cult Places become Heretical Abbots.
• Heretical Abbots score the same as Abbots except on tiles that score for both an Abbot and a Heretical Abbot. Those tiles score 0 points for both players.

There. I've fixed the Abbots, the German/Dutch Monasteries, and the Cloisters/Cult Places all in one fell swoop. There can never be more than one Abbot/player on the board at a time tgus way. Honestly, this may be the way I always play from now on.

Offline yimhj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
  • A fan from France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
I like your rule Whaleyland. I think it is the better way to play with Abbots.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 01:34:36 AM »
I think there should be a more general Abbot rule for the entire game, with or without the German/Dutch Monasteries:

• Each player begins the game with an Abbot.
• An Abbot may always be played on a Cloister as an Abbot following the rules of Abbots according to the German/Dutch Monasteries rules.
• Abbots may never be played as Monks; Monks may never be played as Abbots. They are mutually exclusive figures.
• Gardens (from Carcassonne II) count the same as Vineyards (from Hills & Sheep). Players may not place any Follower on either feature.

Bonus rule when playing with Cult Places:
• Abbots placed on Cult Places become Heretical Abbots.
• Heretical Abbots score the same as Abbots except on tiles that score for both an Abbot and a Heretical Abbot. Those tiles score 0 points for both players.

There. I've fixed the Abbots, the German/Dutch Monasteries, and the Cloisters/Cult Places all in one fell swoop. There can never be more than one Abbot/player on the board at a time tgus way. Honestly, this may be the way I always play from now on.

When you say Abbot, you are referring to the abbot meeple from CII, is that correct? Rather than the abbot placement of a regular follower? In this ruling then, regular followers cannot be played as abbots on a monastery, only the abbot meeple can be? Can the abbot meeple still be removed instead of deploying a follower, scoring as an abbot?
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 03:28:47 AM »
When you say Abbot, you are referring to the abbot meeple from CII, is that correct? Rather than the abbot placement of a regular follower? In this ruling then, regular followers cannot be played as abbots on a monastery, only the abbot meeple can be? Can the abbot meeple still be removed instead of deploying a follower, scoring as an abbot?
Yes, I am referring to the CII Abbot figure. Yes, only Abbots (CII) can be played as Abbots (German/Dutch Monasteries). I forgot about the move-Abbot ability but in this scenario, I don't envision the Abbot being moveable (although something like the Dragon, Tower, or Catapult could still displace it). That would be an interesting additional ability to try, though.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
German/Dutch/Belgian monasteries

Started by Rosco

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 04:49:36 PM
by Darwin
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM