Author Topic: Carcassonne Minis League: Fliers  (Read 20765 times)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Minis League: Fliers
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2017, 01:37:52 AM »
My wife and I were just proper belly laughing at your comment Dan.  Love it.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2017, 02:31:58 PM »
Rosco and I played our match this evening.

Very close game with lots to fight for. I won gold with 10 bars to 6 and so took the win 175 vs. 141.

Just MrNumbers left to play now :)

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 04:39:36 AM »
My last game in the Fliers-League was against Rosco.  Due to the draw between Dan and Leven, ending third was the best I could get out of this league which was honestly very high-level if you ask me.   The game against Rosco was not different in this way.

Everything quiet in the beginning till 2 things opened the battlefield:
- I managed to block 2 meeples of Rosco: one I a cloister in the west and one in a city left of it.  The one in the cloister would stay there till the end, the one in the city could be released if Rosco drew one of the Crop circle tiles with a shield or the unique CFRF.
- In the east my attempt to take over a then still small city of Rosco developed in a huge city that was further developing to the west.  With joining one meeple and flying one in, I took the lead in it with 2-1.

When I drew the second Crop Circle with a shield and then sharing the large city with Rosco, both with 2 meeples in it, I had to make a difficult decision.  Add a third meeple, both take one away or none of those options.  On that moment Rosco had just one meeple left so I thought he was going to keep that one in stock.  Turned out he was taking the gamble so now he was leading in the big city.  But in that way, he was out of meeples for a while.

Meanwhile, I focused on the gold and trying to block the city of Rosco.  Rosco avoided this by placing the gold-tile with a bridge over the city.  I was more then happy to place a meeple on this one and happy to join later the big city again, now both of us with 3 meeples.

In the north I made a small but "golden city" which gave me 4 gold extra.  I also had prepared 2 roads, one in the north and one in the south to make out of it a "golden road".  With the one in the south I succeeded, the other one stayed that way till the end.

Then the large shared city was completed and Rosco freed his blocked city-meeple with the unique CFRF-tile.  Then a last battle over the farms started.  Rosco had a farmer in the south, I had one in the north.  He managed to join one in the north, I didn't.

By then, Rosco was still leading in points before the final score.  Turned out the gold made once again the difference with a small lead in my advantage of 218-202.

Lots of things could have turned out the other way if luck was more on Rosco's side: he could have won the big city with the right tile and he was unlucky he released his blocked meeple only rather in the end which gave him the disadvantage of having no meeples left.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this one, even if I would have lost.  It displayed -for once- all of the extras of the Mini's: fliers to take over cities, crop circles to do the same, mage and witch to diss each other and gold to make a points difference.

Leaves me to wish Rosco the best in his remaining games and watching him decide who wins this League: Dan or Leven...who brings over the popcorn?  :P

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 04:41:21 AM »
PS: isn't that large city in the east not resembling to 2 dragons with their backs against each other or did I watch to much Game Of Thrones?  ;)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
11 games played, 4 left.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 02:20:17 PM »
Good game MrNumbers. That was one of the tightest games I've ever played, but my luck came through with the last 4 or 5 turns. MrNumbers took a risk and put all his eggs in one basket, but unfortunately (for him) the risk didn't pay off; the basket got dropped and I emerged victorious...

:blue-meeple: 172 - 146 :red-meeple:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2017, 03:45:09 AM »
As I mentioned before, rarely have I played a game that was so close from start to finish. For much of the game our scores were equal, but even when they weren’t there was rarely more than 4 or 5 points between us.

However, despite the close scores I spent much of the game with a small mountain to climb to overcome the large (and growing) farm that MrNumbers laid claim to from very early on. In fact, he was so keen to keep it that he used a CC2 pitchfork tile to add an extra farmer before I’d even attempted to steal onto it. I decided to leave him to it after that, but he added a third farmer to guarantee his majority (costing himself 6 points in the process) and ended up netting a cool 30 points for his efforts. However, 3 early farmers did mean that he struggled to compete elsewhere and despite managing his meeples very well under the circumstances he couldn’t afford to take any risks with what he had left. In light of this, it didn’t help (him) that I managed to trap one of his other meeples in a cloister for most of the game (which he eventually completed with the final flier [an ffff]), and another in a dead city.

I didn’t really have any big plans to make up for this huge farm but claimed a small farm of my own that showed some potential for growth. MrNumbers recognised the danger here and claimed the other side of the farm but this left him desperately low on meeples so he was unable to respond when I managed to add a second farmer here and then grew the farm to serve a total of 7 cities.

The fliers weren’t used especially aggressively by either of us, and the Mage & Witch didn’t have a huge impact on the outcome of the game either, although the Witch seemed to see much more action than the Mage. I had little control over the Crop Circles tiles as MrNumbers drew the first 5! With one of the shield tiles, MrNumbers gave me an opportunity to add an extra knight rather than forcing me to remove one so I added one to a city that he had been attempting to glom onto. I was surprised to see that he didn’t reinforce his position in the same way, and was lucky to draw a ccff tile on my next turn and closed the city with 2 – 1 majority for 12 points. The final CC2 tile (the other pitchfork tile) went to me and was a very important tile to have drawn. If MrNumbers had drawn it he could have removed one his farmers on his big farm and still retained a 2 – 0 majority, but forced me to remove one of my farmers on my smaller farm leaving it tied. Plus he would have got a meeple back. So this was an important draw for me and I used it to allow either of us to add a farmer (which neither of us did).

As always, Gold made a big difference to the outcome of the game. Nothing unusual there, but what was unusual was that we didn’t see a single Goldminers tile in the first 30 or so tiles! This meant that we’d both had time to realise how significant it was going to be by the time it did start appearing, and as it happened, I was by far the more fortunate player in this respect with most of these tiles coming to me. We both grabbed a few easy bars as they became available, but what really made the difference was a road I started building with the express intention of adding gold to it should the right tiles come my way. I closed this road for 5 (or 4?) gold bars and closed another in the north east for an extra bar with a handy M & W tile in the closing stages of the game. Ultimately, this gave me an 18 point advantage for winning 7 bars against MrNumbers’ 3. This combined with my farm meant that the mountain I was trying to climb was now more of a hill, but MrNumbers still had a basket to put his remaining egg into…

With about a dozen or so tiles left to go, MrNumbers required me to draw a crrx tile to win my farm outright. So naturally I drew one almost straight away and claimed the city on it, which I closed soon afterwards for 8 very valuable points. Another lucky draw allowed me to complete a short road for a few points, +1 gold bar and another meeple back which gave me 2 in hand with about half a dozen tiles to go. Meanwhile, MrNumbers had claimed a long road in the hope that he could complete it with the final Goldminers tile, making it a very long road in the process and giving him +2 gold bars. But as luck would have it, I drew this tile and used it to claim a 9-point farm. I used my final tile to claim a separate 6-point farm which meant I actually scored more from smaller farms than MrNumbers did from his big farm.

So overall it was an exciting game for me and I was glad of the win. I did feel like I had a lucky flourish at the very end of the game, but overall I’d say things felt equal in terms of general luck. I’m relieved to have finally played the last of my games at this stage of the competition and I’m eagerly anticipating the result from Rosco and Leven! Good luck with your remaining games MrNumbers... :) :(y)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:11:30 AM by danisthirty, Reason: attached image »

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2017, 05:35:15 AM »
That's an impressive total points difference you've got there, Dan-the-gold-collector.  A pity I contributed the most to that...see "highest scoring difference".
In fact, i've been contributing to all of the special statistics (smallest score-highest score difference-highest losing score-lowest winner score) except for the "smallest scoring difference" which was for Dan and Leven...pfff...show-offs!  :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:41:30 AM by thodekey »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2017, 05:38:56 AM »
It isn't insurmountable though! Leven still has a chance to finish ahead of me...

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 05:47:16 AM »
That would mean a record-breaking points-difference of at least 96 points.  Now, that's what i would call impressive!  Go Leven, go for it! (sorry Rosco, you know i don't mean it)  ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 05:52:23 AM »
That would mean a record-breaking points-difference of at least 96 points.  Now, that's what i would call impressive!  (dont) Go Leven, (dont) go for it! (sorry Rosco, you know i don't mean it)  ;)

Good luck to both players. But especially to Rosco. >:D

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 05:58:46 AM »
That would mean a record-breaking points-difference of at least 96 points.  Now, that's what i would call impressive!  (dont) Go Leven, (dont) go for it! (sorry Rosco, you know i don't mean it)  ;)

Good luck to both players. But especially to Rosco. >:D

Go Kanye DAN or should i say DANYE West?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:08:17 AM by thodekey »

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 06:36:27 AM »
That would mean a record-breaking points-difference of at least 96 points.  Now, that's what i would call impressive!  Go Leven, go for it! (sorry Rosco, you know i don't mean it)  ;)
Thanks, thodekey. Considering that my scores are always between 154 and 157 in this league, it's quite unlikely that I can achieve a victory like that. But I've learned from previous games (particularly the last one) that in Carcassonne you should never give up.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 06:43:52 AM »
Thanks, thodekey. Considering that my scores are always between 154 and 157 in this league, it's quite unlikely that I can achieve a victory like that. But I've learned from previous games (particularly the last one) that in Carcassonne you should never give up.

+1 to this!

Offline thodekey

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:58 AM »
@ Leven: i've seen that Rosco still needs The Cathars...that might help.   >:D

Woops, did i just suggested to bribing?  Well, i guess i played too much Sheriff of Nottingham games. -1 merit for me?   ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:11:39 AM by thodekey »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Question about fliers and halflings

Started by Dkmvs

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2021, 02:34:52 PM
by NGC 54
xx
Interaction of Magic portal and Fliers

Started by Snowmax

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 02:47:30 PM
by Snowmax
xx
Expansion League #7: Carcassonne Minis - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Minis League: Wizards

Started by MrNumbers

74 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 01:17:28 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Minis League: Goldminers