Author Topic: A question about Bazaars  (Read 4478 times)

Offline ahdaniels

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I have updated my profile!
    • View Profile
A question about Bazaars
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:02:34 AM »
I was playing with Bridges, Castles and Bazaars the other night with two friends and the discussion came up regarding the bidding of tiles.

It was argued that the Bazaar can be used as a kingmaker (by a losing playing making an outrageously high bid on a tile that the player he or she wants to win has chosen). Did we misunderstand something in the rules or would it be possible for a player to select a winner this way? If this is the case, are the any rules/house rules to mitigate this possibility in a non-intrusive way?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3187.0
Right now I like the Tower the best.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: A question about Bazaars
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:34:25 AM »
If I understood you right (which I doubt), then the player who has chosen the tile have a choice - to pay this "outrageously high bid" or to sold the tile for the same price, making bidding person to pay his high bid. So this isn't kingmaking, you can't guarantee a win to yourself that way.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline ahdaniels

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:48:31 AM »
If I understood you right (which I doubt), then the player who has chosen the tile have a choice - to pay this "outrageously high bid" or to sold the tile for the same price, making bidding person to pay his high bid. So this isn't kingmaking, you can't guarantee a win to yourself that way.

If I understand the rules correctly, the person chosing the tile can, in the end of bidding, decide to buy from the highest bidder or sell to the highest bidder. By opting to sell at an outrageous price, the player can secure the victory. I do not mean that it is possible to achieve a victory for yourself in this way, but rather to choose who should win. I thought that was the definition of kingmaking, but I am no longer sure...  :o
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:58:54 AM by ahdaniels »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:10:28 AM »
From the CAR
"The active player uncovers as many land tiles as there are players. Then the next player selects one of the tiles and declares how many points he or she would bid to keep it (it is
possible to offer 0 points!). In the usual order, the rest of the players may make one bid:
either they raise the current bid, or they pass.
When all players have either made a bid or passed, the player who selected the tile must make a decision, either:
 to buy the tile from the highest bidder, paying them the number of points bid, or
 to sell the tile to the highest bidder, receiving the points bid from them in return."

So Yellow pulls the bazaar tile and places it.  Yellow pulls out 3 tiles (1 for every player).  Green picks a tile and bids 2 points for it.  Red then bids 100 points for the tile because he is losing and for whatever reason wants to make green win (Maybe they are married).  Nobody else bids.  Green decides whether to pay Red 100 points for the tile or make Red pay her 100 points for the tile.  Green sells the tile to red for 100 points and ensures victory. 

That is the definition of kingmaking, but if someone in your group plays that way, they should be kicked out of the group.   :(n)
You could just house rule that points paid in the bizarre go to the bank (buyer pays, seller gets nothing). 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:16:21 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:27:25 AM »
This is why I prefer to play either with just one opponent (as is the case with MrNumbers' tournament) or to use the non-bidding variant.

Offline ahdaniels

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 03:16:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback! No-one was planning on making a horrible kingmaker move, I was mostly wondering if we misinterpreted the rules or if there was a official or semi-official way to avoid the situation in its entirety. We just tried playing with a 9 point cap (for academic purposes :))and it worked out well.

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 07:55:46 AM »
Or you could use the official variation rule:

Variation: As many tiles should be uncovered as there are players. Beginning with the
next player, in turn each player selects one of the tiles and places it as in a normal turn.
This continues until all the uncovered tiles have been allocated, and then the game
continues as normal.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:20:18 AM »

Variation: As many tiles should be uncovered as there are players. Beginning with the
next player, in turn each player selects one of the tiles and places it as in a normal turn.
This continues until all the uncovered tiles have been allocated, and then the game
continues as normal.

The non-bidding variant. This is what I use! 8)

Offline ahdaniels

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:14:53 AM »

continues as normal.

Will definitely try it. Thanks! :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Rules about bazaars (Bridges, Castles and Bazaars)

Started by SxN

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2021, 02:13:23 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Bazaars

Started by MrNumbers

28 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 01:18:01 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
bazaars, bridges and fortresses