Author Topic: Other tile laying games thread.  (Read 69140 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2016, 04:53:55 AM »
We had a game night with another couple and they brought Quadropolis.  My wife and I had tried it at a store before and didn't particularly care for it.  We tried it again and it still fell flat.  Our friends have seen the number of tile laying games in our house and couldn't understand why we didn't like it.  On the flip side, they got to play Isle of Skye and didn't like the tile buying aspect.  Their other complaint that I share is that the players boards don't ever connect.  Everything else about the game I really like though.

I think we all sometimes place too much emphasis on mechanics (this thread being an example). I've heard it said before - and I agree - that the best games, especially the best thematic games, are those in which you don't even notice mechanics, but you just play and focus on the task in front of you. Just because we like Carcassonne, and even if one of the reasons we like it is because of the tile-laying aspect, that still doesn't mean we will like all tile-laying games.

I haven't played or even checked out Quadropolis (the theme seems very uninteresting to me). I've played one two-player game of Isle of Skye and I enjoyed it, though I think the tile-buying would work better with more than two. The non-connection of the player boards doesn't bother me - in fact I like how it's different from the usual tile-laying games in that way. My favourite non-Carcassonne tile-laying game is still Citrus.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2016, 05:39:50 AM »
I agree that I pay too much attention to mechanics.  I probably have avoided some great games because I don't like deck building, race, or dexterity games. 

I haven't played Citrus or a lot of the other out of print games listed in the video above.  Isle of Skye and Cacao get the most non-Carcassonne tile laying play time at my house.  I really want to try Suburbia and Castle of Mad King Ludwig.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »
In the last few months a new tile-laying filler came out and I put it on my wishlist as soon as I heard about it: Kingdomino (BGG Link).

Last night someone brought it to the weekly boardgaming meetup in Lisbon, so I played it for the first time and loved it (and I also won, thanks to my enormous forest, which always helps!).

Firstly, it scratches the ancient/medieval landscape itch in the same way that Carcassonne and Limes do for me. Secondly, and related, there's some nice, simple artwork (and thick, sturdy tiles). Thirdly, tile laying!

But mostly what I like about it is a cool tile drafting mechanism, somewhat similar to the card drafting in Butterfly Garden but better implemented in my opinion. Each tile has a number on the back, and typically the larger numbers are the 'better' tiles because they have crowns on them, which you need to score points. But the smaller the number that you claim, the earlier your drafting position in the next round. So it's always a balance between getting the tile you want but making sure that you're not left with one you don't want in the following round.

There are a few rule variants to change the game up a little bit, but even without those, it's a clever little game that I'll hopefully add to my collection soon enough.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:08:19 PM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »
I wanted to play this in Essen and after waiting patiently for another family to finish their demo game, Tom and I stepped up to sit down at the table but a very rude woman pushed in and then barked at us in German. The message I got was that she was trying to tell us that she was there first, which she wasn't, but unfortunately I backed down and rather than continue to wait for another table we moved on and never got to try it. That was one of my less enjoyable Essen experiences actually as most people seemed to be quite nice. The other was probably the guy who cycled into me but that was mostly my fault... :-[

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »
Yes I agree with Dan. This was probably the worst moment in the whole of Essen. "Erste! Erste!" She barked.  "First!  First!".  I was quite annoyed the volunteer said nothing at all.  Not quite as annoyed as the family who was ahead of us though.  The family was a husband and wife and two teenage sons.   The father had won the game. He had 25 points.  He made sure by counting twice.  He checked with Johnny his eldest son - "How many did you have?  Only 22!  22! I have 25!  I won!  You best count again... 10...12..15..22.  I got 25...let me count them for you all again" he continued: "What about you timmy?  Only 18?  That's pathetic..didnt you understand the rules...i got 25"  and again to his wife.....  it was great to what this future champion claim his victory so modestly.

Unfortunately, the whole exerience tarnished this game for me.  I was on my rada pre-essen as a tile laying game to checkout.  Even with MrNumbers magic save 5€  it couldn't salvage it for me.

Hope you enjoy playing it though!  It looks like it's up your alley- intuitive rules and nice artwork and fast to play!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:41 PM »
The family was a husband and wife and two teenage sons.   The father had won the game. He had 25 points.  He made sure by counting twice.  He checked with Johnny his eldest son - "How many did you have?  Only 22!  22! I have 25!  I won!  You best count again... 10...12..15..22.  I got 25...let me count them for you all again" he continued: "What about you timmy?  Only 18?  That's pathetic..didnt you understand the rules...i got 25"  and again to his wife.....  it was great to what this future champion claim his victory so modestly.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. He was one very small step away from jumping up and doing an "IN YOUR FACE" dance. Poor kids...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »
The father had won the game. He had 25 points.  He made sure by counting twice.  He checked with Johnny his eldest son - "How many did you have?  Only 22!  22! I have 25!  I won!  You best count again... 10...12..15..22.  I got 25...let me count them for you all again" he continued: "What about you timmy?  Only 18?  That's pathetic..didnt you understand the rules...i got 25"  and again to his wife.....  it was great to what this future champion claim his victory so modestly.

I wish he was playing in our game last night because I scored 58. 58! FIFTY-EIGHT. More than DOUBLE his lameass score of 25! FIFTY-FLIPPING-EIGHT you joker!

Sorry, what were you saying about modesty?  ;D

Hope you enjoy playing it though!  It looks like it's up your alley- intuitive rules and nice artwork and fast to play!

You know what else is up my alley? Scoring 58!

But seriously, yes, up my alley indeed. If I buy it, I wonder if I can drug junglegirl sufficiently to get her to play.

Sorry you guys had a bad experience related to the game at Essen. But it's not Kingdomino's fault!

Offline Luthadel

• Labourer
  • Merit: 3
  • Blessed Are The Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »
Kingdomino looks our kind of thing. Suburbia might be next up for us. Whichever one we can find first!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2017, 08:14:07 AM »
I've only played Suburbia once but I quite enjoyed it. It reminded me a bit of Castles of Burgundy but I preferred the city-building theme and some of the mechanics in Suburbia. Although I've only ever watched Kingdomino played (as mentioned) they look like very different games...

Offline Luthadel

• Labourer
  • Merit: 3
  • Blessed Are The Meep
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
Suburbia bought and played over the last fortnight, I've definitely got bragging rights here at Luthadel Towers but the others are getting better at managing their early income. Absolutely love it. Half-tempted with one of the expansions, though just for new and unique tiles rather than the additional features they look to bring.

Still really liking the look of Kingdomino, it's on our wishlist.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2017, 01:39:14 AM »
Still really liking the look of Kingdomino, it's on our wishlist.

I managed to find Kingdomino at a tobacco shop two days ago. I played it with my Pandemic Legacy group on Tuesday night and at the board game meet-up last night, and I've already created two solo variants. I think it's safe to say that I love this game.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2017, 02:52:14 AM »
you've not scored 60-points and disowned your estranged family yet though  :(y) :(y)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »
A tile-laying game that is from 2013 but which I hadn't heard of until today, thanks to a Rahdo runthrough, is Palmyra. Since it's tile-laying and about ancient Rome (I used to be a tour guide in Rome) and Palmyra (which I've been to), it's definitely right up my alley.

Here's my podcast episode about Palmyra (the place):

http://media.blubrry.com/englishin10minutes/content.blubrry.com/englishin10minutes/017_-_Palmyra.mp3

Here's the Rahdo runthrough about Palmyra (the game):

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
A tile-laying game that is from 2013 but which I hadn't heard of until today, thanks to a Rahdo runthrough, is Palmyra. Since it's tile-laying and about ancient Rome (I used to be a tour guide in Rome) and Palmyra (which I've been to), it's definitely right up my alley.

Here's my podcast episode about Palmyra (the place):

http://media.blubrry.com/englishin10minutes/content.blubrry.com/englishin10minutes/017_-_Palmyra.mp3

Here's the Rahdo runthrough about Palmyra (the game):

What  nice find. I really like how the tiles fit.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2017, 10:57:41 AM »
What  nice find. I really like how the tiles fit.

Me too. It creates the same checkerboard landscape as Cacao, but it's easier to figure out where the tiles go on the board because of the two different shapes.

I might have just ordered it as my new game for May/June. :) Too bad I didn't discover it yesterday :(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Other games with wooden pieces thread

Started by jungleboy

34 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 05:30:36 AM
by Hounk
xx
Favorite Tile-Laying Games