Author Topic: 5-game day including Carcassonne: the City and Ark of the Covenant  (Read 2146 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
I just came back from playing 5 games with two friends, it was a fun day! We played:

Carcassonne: the City
Catan (Nuremberg edition but we just played the standard part because Catan was new to two of us)
The Little Prince
Risk
Ark of the Covenant

I won two of the five (the City and the Little Prince) so I did pretty well. I'll detail the two spin-off games here:

Carcassonne: the City

This was the third time I had played this game and the first time with more than two players. I continue to be impressed with this game and I thought it worked well with three players, especially the wall building. It was very close throughout the game with the final score being 112 (green) - 105 (yellow) - 95 (blue).

I (green) lost the battle for the main residential area but in the end this wasn't quite as lucrative as we thought as it was only worth 18 points. I was able to grab two smaller residential areas late in the game that together were worth 20 points, which was probably the key to my victory. I also played the wall better than my opponents by completing their small features to initiate wall building. I was the only one who used all four tower pieces for extra points, while the guy who came last didn't use any of his. I missed out on an opportunity to place a guard on top of the city gate but luckily this didn't come back to haunt me.

Ark of the Covenant

This was also the third time I had played this and the first time with more than two players. Unfortunately I came last with the final scores being 122 (yellow) - 113 (red) - 91 (green).

This game was fairly even for the first half of the game but then two things happened that worked very much against me: first, in the battle for the city at the top right of the screen that red and I both had our prophets in, red placed a tile to make it impossible to complete (requiring a CCCC tile which was already out). Then yellow closed his prophet city for 40 points, with red also scoring 20. This put me more than 50 points behind so I knew I probably couldn't win. I finished the second largest city to edge a bit closer but it wasn't enough. Red eventually joined the biggest field that had been started by yellow and I couldn't join it. This was our last game of the day and it was yellow's (Matt's) only win of the day so it was nice that he finished with a win.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2173.0

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTT/WTB The Ark of the Covenant second Edition with the wooden ark

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2017, 10:30:55 PM
by Rosco
clip
First game with Ark of the Covenant

Started by jungleboy

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 10:44:47 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
WTS: 70 points scoreboard, Carcassonne limited editions (sealed), Ark of the Covenant (sealed)

Started by Christianmocking

6 Replies
Last post December 06, 2018, 06:56:18 AM
by Christianmocking
xx
Thoughts On Ark Of The Covenant

Started by ARabidMeerkat

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2017, 04:16:13 AM
by B1nder
xx
Spinoff HeadtoHead #1 - The Discovery vs Ark of the Covenant