Author Topic: Does the City of Carcassonne count for the King?  (Read 19150 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: Does the City of Carcassonne count for the King?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 05:54:29 AM »
Where in the official rules does it state that the City of Carcassonne is counted for farming?

Footnote Nr. 68:
Code: [Select]
The city of Carcassonne does count when scoring farms at the end of the game.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 04:48:46 AM »
Where in the official rules does it state that the City of Carcassonne is counted for farming?

Footnote Nr. 68:
Code: [Select]
The city of Carcassonne does count when scoring farms at the end of the game.
I had a short telephone call with Georg Wild - HiG - today:

The city of Carcassonne does count when scoring the points for the king and also when scoring for farms at the end of the game.

Offline 24hourpartymeeple

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 09:04:14 AM »
Yes, I saw in the Annotated Rules that it says it but I did not see anywhere in the rules that came with the Count make mention of this. That's all I was asking. If the answer came directly from HiG, I'll take it as official but it would help if mentioned in a rule book that comes with the expansion.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
@24hourpartymeeple, lots and lots of stuff in the CAR is not in the official rules that come with the expansions. That's kind of the point :)

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »
@24hourpartymeeple, lots and lots of stuff in the CAR is not in the official rules that come with the expansions. That's kind of the point :)

I get what you're saying and I'm glad the CAR exists but I'm willing to bet that only a fraction (say, 5%) of players know of it and check it for rulings. Average players and families will not use that rule (or others in the CAR but not in the physical rules) when they play. I just think that if its a rule it should be in the included rules.

Offline evmillan

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »

I get what you're saying and I'm glad the CAR exists but I'm willing to bet that only a fraction (say, 5%) of players know of it and check it for rulings. Average players and families will not use that rule (or others in the CAR but not in the physical rules) when they play. I just think that if its a rule it should be in the included rules.

I think that a lot of questions appears when the people plays with some expansion and they find singular situations. It's too hard try to imagine all possible scenarios when the publishers are planning the new expansions and writing the rules. You help to build a game playing it.
This is another reason to promove in other forums the wonderful CAR.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:40:29 PM by evmillan »

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »
I've never seen such intense debate over a single point. ;D

As evmillan said, our hope is that more people will be made aware of the CAR and make use of it when they play. It's not cost-effective for the publishers to improve the printed rules to the same level of quality as the CAR, so we'll be in business for a very long time.

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 09:40:25 AM »

I think that a lot of questions appears when the people plays with some expansion and they find singular situations. It's too hard try to imagine all possible scenarios when the publishers are planning the new expansions and writing the rules. You help to build a game playing it.
This is another reason to promove in other forums the wonderful CAR.

I agree and many rules questions have come up in our own games that I've referred to the CAR for answers. Its a wonderful, comprehensive tool and I'm not debating rules issues or the need for publishers to publish every scenario in the included rules. Especially with further along expansions. Bridges, Castles and Bazaars would come with a book as opposed to the sheet it did, if that were the case.

My point being that if they wanted the Count's city to count for farm scoring, they should have mentioned it in the included rules. That's not a scenario rules question based on different players playing with a different mix of expansions. It sounds like a hard line rule that should have been included, much like the basic, essential rules of any expansion.

I'm not trying to debate or pick a fight with anyone, nor am I ragging on anyone who contributed to the CAR. I just think it should have been mentioned if it were an actual rule, as opposed to tacked on later when the publisher got asked about it. Just my opinion.

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »
I've never seen such intense debate over a single point. ;D

As evmillan said, our hope is that more people will be made aware of the CAR and make use of it when they play. It's not cost-effective for the publishers to improve the printed rules to the same level of quality as the CAR, so we'll be in business for a very long time.

Of course the publisher can't predict a future scenario and amend a manual for it. The CAR is incredibly useful and I've read through it myself and turned more than a few players in this direction to find it themselves for their own questions.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 11:23:59 PM »
The publisher of this game is a German company. The game is translated in more than 20 other languages.

If HiG would change the rules after each question and clarification, then they have to give their license partners around the world the new German rules for translation.
I think the price for the game would then to much expensive.

HiG has some new rules online at their Homepage:
Princess and the Dragon - in German of course...

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »
I had a short telephone call with Georg Wild - HiG - today:

The city of Carcassonne does count when scoring the points for the king and also when scoring for farms at the end of the game.

This has been updated in the nearly completed S-CAR v6.4.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 06:42:39 PM »
Good debate here. I enjoyed reading it.

I personally would probably include the city for both, for simplicity's sake. I can't say we've ever played with both the Count of Carcassonne and the King, but not knowing otherwise intuition would say to count the city for both for simplicity.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Count of Carcassonne - Count Robber and King Expansion 6 deployment

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 04:49:49 AM
by JoeSesquipedalian
xx
[WTS] King and Scout, Count of Carcassonne, River II (Old Style)

Started by raged_norm

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2019, 07:50:50 AM
by danisthirty
xx
WTS - Carcassonne: King,Robber,Cult + Count + Mini exp.1 (2012)(no Kornkreise)

Started by GodSiGmaR

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2023, 06:23:18 AM
by GodSiGmaR
xx
WTB: Old artwork Carcassonne Hills and Sheep and/or Count, King and Robber

Started by nblack27

15 Replies
Last post June 08, 2023, 02:07:33 AM
by oldbonz
xx
Ebay Auction: Count, Cult King