Author Topic: Clarification of rules - Email with HiG - 05 05 2014  (Read 25823 times)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification of rules - Email with HiG - 05 05 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »
So how about a house-rule for pigs? You don't have to be in the sole majority to have an effective pig. It's very rare to get actual points from the pig. Someone managed it in a game today. 1 point in fact.

@asparagus - are you referring to the Pig for Traders & Builders? I'm not sure I follow your statement here. Is there an analogy between the Pig and the Hills?
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »
As far as I have always understood the pig, if your farmer scores and the pig is present if said farm, the farmer gets an extra point per city. Therefore my pig almost always scores.
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 02:27:51 AM »
As far as I have always understood the pig, if your farmer scores and the pig is present if said farm, the farmer gets an extra point per city. Therefore my pig almost always scores.

I seem to have lost my traders and builders rules but I have no reason to think it differed from the CAR. It seems i have always interpreted that as saying that pig's owner had to be in sole control of the field. I think it is much better if that is relaxed.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2014, 07:14:43 AM »

I seem to have lost my traders and builders rules but I have no reason to think it differed from the CAR. It seems i have always interpreted that as saying that pig's owner had to be in sole control of the field. I think it is much better if that is relaxed.

The player only gets the benefit of his Pig if he has the majority on, or at least a share of, the farm his Pig is on.

I'm struggling to see the connection between the Pig and the Hills though, and the need to house-rule the Pig.

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2014, 07:47:30 AM »
I'm struggling to see the connection between the Pig and the Hills though, and the need to house-rule the Pig.

I think this is based on my misunderstanding.

Consider a scenario where there is a farm where black has a follower and a pig, and green has a follower but no pig. I thought - and I thought everyone else agreed - that the black pig was ineffective because black did not have sole ownership. I was proposing a house rule where the black pig would be effective in this case.

It seems that I was wrong and that my proposed house rule is actually the official rule. However I do not think the published or even the CAR are as clear on this as they might be.

So if you go back to what I thought the official rule  was, then maybe the analogy between pigs and hills will be clear. That is that tweaking features are only effective when the situation has a certain level of clarity.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »
A question:
What has this discussion about the pig to do with my Clarification of rules - Email with HiG - 05 05 2014?

Perhaps it is better to split this topic...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:05:58 AM by kettlefish »

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 09:07:14 AM »

I think this is based on my misunderstanding.

Consider a scenario where there is a farm where black has a follower and a pig, and green has a follower but no pig. I thought - and I thought everyone else agreed - that the black pig was ineffective because black did not have sole ownership. I was proposing a house rule where the black pig would be effective in this case.

It seems that I was wrong and that my proposed house rule is actually the official rule. However I do not think the published or even the CAR are as clear on this as they might be.

So if you go back to what I thought the official rule  was, then maybe the analogy between pigs and hills will be clear. That is that tweaking features are only effective when the situation has a certain level of clarity.

I have adjusted the statement in the CAR to note that the pig applies when the owner has a majority or is in a tie for the majority.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »

Thanks. Got it. Glad obervet added clarity in the CAR.

Offline asparagus

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 12:52:59 AM »

Thanks. Got it. Glad obervet added clarity in the CAR.

thanks to Carcking and Obervet.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Clarification of rules - by meeting with HiG - 04 10 2014

Started by kettlefish

27 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 11:26:39 AM
by obervet
xx
Clarification of rules (ringmasters) - with HiG - 27 01 2021

Started by Meepledrone

36 Replies
Last post January 31, 2021, 11:56:24 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Clarification of rules - by call with HiG - 12 03 2015

Started by kettlefish

22 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 12:40:08 PM
by kettlefish
xx
Clarification of rules (Sending meeple to Carcassonne) - with HiG - 29 01 2021

Started by Meepledrone

15 Replies
Last post February 11, 2021, 06:19:00 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Clarification of rules (acrobats & phantoms, Leipzig) - with HiG - 21-25 06 2021

Started by Meepledrone

9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2021, 01:59:05 AM
by Meepledrone