Author Topic: republishing expansions  (Read 17997 times)

Offline RitaC

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
republishing expansions
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:19:10 AM »
I saw one post that said that Princess and Dragon would be coming out.  What's the word on the game in general?

Rita

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2916.0

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: republishing expansions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:08:56 AM »
All of the large expansions will eventually be released in new artwork. The following is what has been released so far:
• Carcassonne: New Edition (2014) [includes The River I]
• 1. Inns & Cathedrals (Oct 2015)
• 2. Traders & Builders (Nov 2015)
• 3. Princess & Dragon (Mar 2016) [not yet in US]
• 5. Abbey & Mayor (Aug 2016) [not yet in US]
• 4. The Tower (Oct 2016) [later in US]

Also released in the new art:
• Bonus Tiles – Spiel 2014, Spiel 2015, Spiel 2016 [Oct 2014-2016]
• The Labyrinth (2016) [Spielbox]
• The Japanese Temples (2016) [Cundco.de]

It is also widely assumed that the first four released expansions (1-3, 5) plus the base game and The River will constitute a new Big Box, which may be released as early as Spielfest.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:58:41 AM by whaleyland »

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 02:29:45 AM »
All of the expansions will eventually be released in new artwork.

The major expansions, yes, but we don't know or expect this for all the smaller expansions and promos, do we?
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:48:58 AM »
All of the expansions will eventually be released in new artwork.
The major expansions, yes, but we don't know or expect this for all the smaller expansions and promos, do we?
Good call. You are correct and I have appended the word "large" to my text above. Of the smaller expansions, we can be pretty certain that Cult, King, Count, and River II will be re-released in a reprint of Expansion 6, but beyond that everything is up in the air.

I can predict with near certainty that the following expansions will not be re-released in the new artwork, at least not without significant modification:
• The Festival and The Phantoms (10th anniversary limited edition expansions)
• Corn Circles I (limited edition promo – soft confirmation that this has been replaced permanently by Corn Circles II)
• The School (Cundco fundraising promotional)
• The Tunnel, The Little Buildings, The Plague (all Spielbox promos)
• Windroses, German Monasteries, Dutch Monasteries, German Castles, German Cathedrals (all Carcassonne-on-Tour limited edition promos)
• The Mini Expansion (Games Quarterly promo – company now defunct)
• Darmstadt (limited edition promo)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:37:12 AM »
Abbey and Mayor has been released in the new art?

This I missed completely.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »
• 5. Abbey & Mayor (Jan 2016) [not yet in US]
I did the correction reading in June 2016. That means the publishing was not in Jan'16.
• 3. Princess & Dragon (Jan 2016) [not yet in US]
The correction reading was in Jan 2016 - the publishing in March.
• 2. Traders & Builders (Jan 2015)
Published in Nov 2015

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
• 5. Abbey & Mayor (Jan 2016) [not yet in US]
I did the correction reading in June 2016. That means the publishing was not in Jan'16.
• 3. Princess & Dragon (Jan 2016) [not yet in US]
The correction reading was in Jan 2016 - the publishing in March.
• 2. Traders & Builders (Jan 2015)
Published in Nov 2015
I've tweaked some of the dates above per your comments. I grabbed those dates off the expansion release dates on BGG, so I figured they were off some. Thanks for the clarifications.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »
Calling "The Phantoms" an "10th anniversary limited edition expansion" seems a little odd to me? I think, they were rather a kind of reuse of residual parts, initially produced for the limited edition. It's also most likely, that they will not be redone, but it was an "artwork independent" expansion none the less.

Regarding "Tunnels", kettlefish made some hints some time ago, that there might be a reprint at some time. So it might be, that this (and maybe other Spielbox expansions?) will be rereleased in new artwork. I would not totally rule it out, at least.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »
Actually I think the phantom meeple and the 10th anniversary edition meeple are produced differently.

Our Etsy friend who made the orange phantoms found that dying phantoms did not take the colours in the same way as the 10th anniversary meeple and produced different results.

The phantoms were planned as a 10th anniversary expansion probably in a different machining process; I don't think it's correct to say they were reusing residual parts.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 08:07:54 PM »
Thanks, Decar. Did not know that.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »
Regarding "Tunnels", kettlefish made some hints some time ago, that there might be a reprint at some time. So it might be, that this (and maybe other Spielbox expansions?) will be rereleased in new artwork. I would not totally rule it out, at least.

The Tunnels were already made available again for a short time earlier this year. Isn't that what the hints were about?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 08:23:03 PM »

The Tunnels were already made available again for a short time earlier this year. Isn't that what the hints were about?

As far as I remember, those weren't reprints. They were items that were "found" in the Spielbox basement. Not sure whether kettlefish was hinting at this or something bigger, but I am still hoping for a re-release of some of those (doubtful whether it would be in the new edition artwork though)...

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 11:13:34 PM »
There were plans by Rio Grande Games to release an expansion that would include Tunnels, Corn Circles I, and Plague, but it was shelved for a while and then cancelled when Z-Man took over the English-distribution license. Now with the new artwork, it seems unlike those expansions will be re-released, at least in the near future. There are still four large expansions plus Wheel of Fortune that need re-releasing, and I imagine that the Carcassonne Minis will be re-released in the new art either individually or in a box set (although 54 tiles plus a ton of bonus materials would make for an expensive single box set – perhaps they'll release two such sets).

As far as I know, although Hans im Glück permitted the creation of the Spielbox expansions, they had no hand in the development of Cathars, Tunnels, or Plague. Cathars was re-printed as Besiegers and I hope that will be released in the new art (although it was originally a Müller exclusive item). But kettlefish has implied on numerous occasions that Tunnels and Plague are not highly favoured by Hans im Glück and that they do not generally make rulings regarding those expansions since they were not created by them. Furthermore, both have numerous rules issues when played with other expansions (or even just by themselves) and Tunnels in particular has been widely derided by players on this forum (and presumably the German one). With all that in mind, I just can't see those two expansions specifically ever being re-released. Corn Circles I has also been dismissed, IIRC, with Corn Circles II considered the definitive version of that expansion. The only possible Spielbox re-prints I can see in the future are The Little Buildings (currently sold on Cundco so, presumably, created with their involvement) and The Halflings I (designed in direct co-operation with Hans im Glück).

Back to the topic of the plastic meeples, there are definitely three different types: the Phantoms, the 10th Anniversary Edition ones, and the Teachers (in The School promo). They all have slightly distinguishing features and, as Decar said, they seem to have been produced by different methods. While it would be amazing to see a re-release of The Phantoms, I still feel that all three of those expansions were in some way or another a part of the 2010-2011 10th Anniversary celebration and will not be released again.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 07:08:28 AM »
Aside from river 1, river 2 and the count. I dont see any reprints of any miniexpansion. It would be too expansive to reproduce them. Knowing that most of the Carcassonne community wont buy it. The only thing I can imagine is that they would bundle them in a box like whaley said.

Today still no Carcassonne 2.0 for me

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 07:16:51 AM »
Aside from river 1, river 2 and the count.
The first of which has already been released in the new art and the other two will appear alongside King and Cults in Expansion #6 when it releases. Just for clarity.

Interesting side-note, the River I in the new art does not include Vineyards or Sheep as in the Big Box 5 version. Not sure what that means, but it means...something...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Expansions Featuring Other Expansions' Features

Started by Whaleyland

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 05:24:15 AM
by jungleboy
clip
WTS multiple C1 & C2 expansions, mini-expansions, meeple sets and accessories

Started by corinthiens13

26 Replies
Last post March 15, 2021, 02:18:33 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
[WTG] Carcassonne 2.0 + All Full Expansions - Boxes and Inserts ONLY

Started by Rhoobarb2005

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2019, 03:25:34 AM
by supertopix
exclamation
Sale of Fan-Made Expansions

Started by danisthirty

0 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 07:46:41 AM
by danisthirty
xx
CarcII Expansions Made Into CarcI Artwork?

Started by ARabidMeerkat

9 Replies
Last post February 04, 2024, 02:16:43 AM
by Leven