Author Topic: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)  (Read 273708 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: KICKSTARTER (watch your purses)
« Reply #465 on: April 21, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
The long awaited Kickstarter campaign for Hannibal (and Hamilcar) is live. I'm not a war gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the Second Punic War and anything to do with Hannibal and Scipio, so I might have to think about this one.

I can only apologise for my selfishness. :-[ If it helps, our house move does appear to be back on again for the time being at least. Third time lucky! :(y)

Great news, fingers crossed for you!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 21, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »
The long awaited Kickstarter campaign for Hannibal (and Hamilcar) is live. I'm not a war gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the Second Punic War and anything to do with Hannibal and Scipio, so I might have to think about this one.

It is crazy to think what his army accomplished, but at the same time it is disheartening to know that no matter what he had or what he did, it would never be enough to put Rome under siege.  They knew it, he knew it, and I suppose he was campaigning for good terms and never expecting an outright surrender. 

During one meeting at work, someone was being overly dramatic worrying about a non issue.  I jokingly said, "It is not like Hannibal is at the gates."  They thought I was referring to the Anthony Hopkins character.   :-\

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #467 on: April 21, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »

It is crazy to think what his army accomplished, but at the same time it is disheartening to know that no matter what he had or what he did, it would never be enough to put Rome under siege.  They knew it, he knew it, and I suppose he was campaigning for good terms and never expecting an outright surrender. 

Yeah, his strategy was to try to turn Rome's Italian allies against it (e.g. Capua, which he did turn) and completely isolate it rather than to outright conquer the city of Rome itself, but that was probably always going to be an impossible task for an invading army that was also pillaging the countryside to feed itself.

During one meeting at work, someone was being overly dramatic worrying about a non issue.  I jokingly said, "It is not like Hannibal is at the gates."  They thought I was referring to the Anthony Hopkins character.   :-\

Love it! I also try to sneak in 'Hannibal at the gates!' whenever I can :)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
All said and done I think you should really back this one Jungleboy.
You can even send it to the adress of your preferred Portuguese postman.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #469 on: April 21, 2017, 08:06:39 PM »
Brass 703 329 CA$

All stretch goals unlocked, so they add 3 more goals.  :black1-meeple:

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #470 on: April 22, 2017, 06:51:37 AM »
Things I'm waiting to finish:

Omiga - Quick Tile laying game, looks quite simple/expensive though
Circle The Wagons - just completed; neat little microgame from Button Shy.
Hardback - Tim Flower's latest card game, I don't really like word games, but this has some appeal.
Rahdo Runs Through - I backed Rahdo for the last 2 years. Generally, I like his content, but I don't think he's enjoyed making content over the last year.  A lot of videos seemed rushed or he's not had time to absorb the rules before he starts.  As a backer you get to vote on his next videos, but every game I've voted for has not been voted highly, and thus hasn't had a video made.  I feel like a minority voter compared to most of his fans;  I'll probably give it a miss this year.
Petrichor - Described as similar to Dominant Species, but in a 1/5 of the time.  This looks interesting, but none of the playthrough videos have been very clear, the game looks bogged down to me.
Chariots of Rome - A Chariot game?  Sounds interesting

I'm watching a few others: Gloomhaven, Dungeon Dice, City of Kings - but these have less appeal.

What's everyone else watching?

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 22, 2017, 07:45:37 AM »
Things I'm waiting to finish:

Omiga - Quick Tile laying game, looks quite simple/expensive though
Circle The Wagons - just completed; neat little microgame from Button Shy.
Hardback - Tim Flower's latest card game, I don't really like word games, but this has some appeal.
Rahdo Runs Through - I backed Rahdo for the last 2 years. Generally, I like his content, but I don't think he's enjoyed making content over the last year.  A lot of videos seemed rushed or he's not had time to absorb the rules before he starts.  As a backer you get to vote on his next videos, but every game I've voted for has not been voted highly, and thus hasn't had a video made.  I feel like a minority voter compared to most of his fans;  I'll probably give it a miss this year.
Petrichor - Described as similar to Dominant Species, but in a 1/5 of the time.  This looks interesting, but none of the playthrough videos have been very clear, the game looks bogged down to me.
Chariots of Rome - A Chariot game?  Sounds interesting

I'm watching a few others: Gloomhaven, Dungeon Dice, City of Kings - but these have less appeal.

What's everyone else watching?

Very good assessment on Rhado. He has been letting things get to him, (I'm sure one needs a thick skin in the public eye), and it seems to be effecting his enthusiasm and engagement. His rule goofs are legendary but get harder for me to overlook. His production is just nowhere near that of Watch it Played, and many others. I still sent him a few bucks for the vote option, (though I'm in the same boat on my choices). I still enjoy his style of play through, which is my preferred method to check out and learn a game. He still has a great breadth of videos that are already out there and I'm still coming across many I haven't seen.

I'd seen Omiga but thought it was a pass.

Intrigued by Chariots of Rome but not sure there is enough there for me. I still have my original Avalon Hill - Circus Maximus from 1979 which I enjoy and can teach to muggles even though it is more complex than Chariots of Rome.

I'm also in for HANNIBAL & HAMILCAR.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/hannibal-and-hamilcar?ref=user_menu

This title is a re-release and also a reimagining of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/234/hannibal-rome-vs-carthage

Avalon Hill was the original publisher. While I have the Valley Games version I couldn't pass up this edition with an updated version of play, (it also includes the original game). The production looks top notch.

Raiders of the North Sea expansions campaign has ended but I did get in for the Big Box, not having had the base game before.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 22, 2017, 08:10:13 AM »
We kickstarted Grimm Forest.  We need to get rid of games before acquiring more.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:28:52 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #473 on: April 22, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
It must be hard to balance: creating content you want to create against: being paid or backed to create content you have no interest in.  A lot of Rahdo's recent kickstarter videos seem to be 15 minute affairs that slowly demonstrate the first few turns of a game, which he doesn't seem to be enjoying.  It's a shame because 18-months ago his videos were always reliable and made it easy to identify the core-game-cycle.

H&H does look incredible - I doubt it will get much traction with my wife though - there looks to be a lot going on on that game board!

I backed the most recent Raiders of the North Sea & Grimm Forest too.

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #474 on: April 24, 2017, 03:44:57 PM »
Brass's still growing up.

821 361 CA$ on 80 000 CA$
6 610 contributors
17 days to do.

On BGG https://boardgamegeek.com/video/134280/brass-birmingham/brass-birmingham-review-man-vs-meeple

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #475 on: April 25, 2017, 12:44:13 AM »
I don't know why you're so hard on Queen Games....

Last Christmas I ordered a Kingdom Builder Big Box for 100$.  It contained the base game, the first 2 expansions {crossroads and nomads} and the queenie expansions, plus some extra buildings, as well as the new Marshlands expansion, which didn't come in the Big Box because it didn't fit.

No less than a month later Queen Games launch the Harvest Expansion, for an extra 30$ (I also ordered a new Big Box for $5 to fit it all in).

The first order arrive, a few months back; but the Harvest has been delayed.  It was meant to arrived in November.

Queen Games are on the case though and not on unexpected holidays:

We realize that this campaign has been delayed several times and in order to make the shipping process as fast and efficient as possible, we have decided to upgrade every single pledge. Yep, all of them. 

All pledges up to the $70 level will receive the brand new Kingdom Builder Big Box. That is the base game, all four expansions and the Queenies, all packed in the newly designed version of the Kingdom Builder Big Box.

Backers above $70 who were already receiving copies of the Kingdom Builder Big Box, will also receive 1 complimentary copy of Kairo per Big Box. 

Fantastic Queen Games.  Thanks for giving me something I already spent money on for free.......no not quite.

Now I've got a Big Box containing 2 expansions + Marshlands and I'll have a new Big Box containing 4 expansions.  And a Big Box with nothing to put in it.

I suspect during the next Sale Queen Games will be giving people money to take their games away at this rate.....what a joke.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 26, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
Anyone else watching, Clans of Caledonia ?

The design, theme, game play and mechanisms look interesting and compelling.

Must ... resist .. the ... click ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/680649956/clans-of-caledonia-a-game-about-whisky-trade-and-g/description

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/216132/clans-caledonia

At the time of this post Brass is just about to hit 900k!

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #477 on: April 27, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »
At the time of this post Brass is just about to hit 900k!

It's done for Brass.
New  goals added to the major at 1 100 000 CA$

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #478 on: April 27, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
So here's the thing. I made a deal with myself a month or so ago that at the end of April, I would impose some restrictions regarding buying new games (and instead make a better effort to get in more plays of the great games I already have). So this week I'm on a bit of a final binge before the restrictions set in. Yesterday I got three games at my FLGS, and then backed Hannibal.

Now I have to decide on Brass by Sunday. So, for the bad influences among you (you know who you are, Chooselife and Decar and pretty much everybody else  >:D), here's your chance to make your case for Brass. Go!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 27, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »
Now I have to decide on Brass by Sunday. So, for the bad influences among you (you know who you are, Chooselife and Decar and pretty much everybody else  >:D), here's your chance to make your case for Brass. Go!

Don't do it, just because is a mechanic proof game, with a new revamped mechanic standalone expansion, with a solid theme on both games, great components, with great effort put in the richness of the art and launched by a publisher that delivers you don't really need to buy it.

Who knows maybe in a few years you can find a second hand copy of one of the games with just a few tokens missing for a good price in an flee market or in BGG marketplace.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Keep track of your Carcassonne collection in your forum profile

Started by Scott

18 Replies
Last post April 27, 2022, 03:31:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Watch It Played - Carcassonne

Started by Decar

6 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 08:31:36 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Kickstarter project: Carcassone collection box?

Started by Guesclin

35 Replies
Last post February 15, 2015, 02:41:55 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
Kickstarter Help Wanted

Started by Khonnor

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 11:05:12 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
KickStarter - Backed Projects