Author Topic: CCDL - Premiership Winter 2018  (Read 23259 times)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
Re: CCDL - Premiership Winter 2018
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
I am free quite a lot this week to play my last two games. Leven and Xanderx12, are you available?
From Thursday evening yes.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2019, 03:49:54 PM »
Despite losing to the Numbers Man, it was victory for me. I think. Sort of.

I won on roads and cloisters by 1 point each, and on cities by 6 points. Giving me 3 points overall. Of course, this means that MrNumbers won on farms (by 5 points), and the game, by 29 points thanks to the King & Robber Baron bonuses which were worth a grand total of 32 points between them! :o

I will admit that it's been a while since I'd last played with Abbey & Mayor but I had a good opportunity to get my barn down first and was focusing on growing it, and adding farmers to it for a handful of points at every opportunity. Things were pretty level elsewhere, but MrNumbers certainly knew what he had to do to keep himself in the game and didn't struggle to do it.

In the early part of the game I seemed to draw a lot of roads (especially straight ones) which I anticipated being of use towards winning the Robber Baron token for the longest road. However, I never seemed to be able to close my roads and MrNumbers was only too well aware of what the bonuses could be worth, so was happy to close them for me on several occasions in order to ensure he kept the RB bonus at the end of the game. Meanwhile, he effortlessly won a battle for the largest city and closed it with his abbey which won him the King bonus too. This came as a bit of a blow, but I was still quietly confident at this point as my barn farm was getting to be quite valuable.

So naturally, defending my barn farm and eliminating any opportunity for MrNumbers to get onto it became my main priority from that point forward. This is why I was so surprised to see him play a very risky move by placing his barn on the opposite side of a road that would be very difficult to connect to my field. I half wondered if that was even his intention, or if he'd just done it as he hadn't been able to place his barn elsewhere and had the opportunity to take 8 easy points for it. I couldn't do anything to slow him down with my next tile, but felt I must have really angered the Carcassonne gods when the very next tile for MrNumbers was the fffr tile that he needed to join his barn onto my barn farm. This was the point that the game win suddenly started to seem very unlikely... :(

I struggled with meeples for much of the latter part of the game as I'd claimed too many cloisters that I couldn't complete. I didn't seem to be getting any useful tiles either though, and had pretty much given up hope until I drew a very timely ccrr tile which allowed me to get back into the game a little. I think MrNumbers' win was secure by this point, but having a few meeples back in hand did at least allow me to threaten him in a few places, not that it made much of a difference...

I was surprised to see just how evenly we were matched on each of the feature types when the score breakdown was displayed at the end of the game, and it goes to show how even just 1 point in the right place can make all the difference! So overall the score was 3 - 2 to me, despite having fewer points overall. King & Robber Baron is rapidly becoming one of my least favourite expansions though... >:(

Thanks for the game MrNumbers! :red-meeple: :(y)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »
I am free quite a lot this week to play my last two games. Leven and Xanderx12, are you available?

OK, let’s try for Thursday then.

I haven’t been following the other divisions. Is the result above the first time someone has gained three points from an overall loss?

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »
After 5 games played the Premiership looks like this.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2019, 02:31:07 AM »
I haven’t been following the other divisions. Is the result above the first time someone has gained three points from an overall loss?

I'm pretty sure there have been other 3 - 2s that have gone against the overall points winner, but I don't think I've seen any 4 - 1s as might have been the case if I'd drawn an ffxx tile in the later stages of the game and connected my 0-point farmer to the barn farm.

I'd guess any game with big points bonus expansions like T & B, K & RB or Goldmines could swing the overall victory away from someone even if they did win more points from each of the individual feature types. Likewise, Fairy bonus points, Tower ransoms and Bazaar bids could have a similar effect.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2019, 06:15:18 AM »
I had a 4-1 victory in my first game against JackFace although I lost on points in the regular overall score.  (Championship League)
That was the result of my choice for the Goldmines expansion: I was slightly leading in both roads, cloisters, cloisters and cities but JackFace collected far more gold bars than I did, which gave him an 30-points bonus that led to a 11-points victory in the overall score for JackFace.
So it's possible, but I guess you have to have a special expansion that adds points to the overal score like Goldmines, King & Robber Baron,...

I'm pretty sure there have been other 3 - 2s that have gone against the overall points winner, but I don't think I've seen any 4 - 1s as might have been the case if I'd drawn an ffxx tile in the later stages of the game and connected my 0-point farmer to the barn farm.

I'd guess any game with big points bonus expansions like T & B, K & RB or Goldmines could swing the overall victory away from someone even if they did win more points from each of the individual feature types. Likewise, Fairy bonus points, Tower ransoms and Bazaar bids could have a similar effect.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2019, 06:41:19 AM »
Leven and I are playing tonight. It will be interesting to see how using Inns and Cathedrals and Mage and Witch together impacts the game!

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2019, 02:35:01 PM »
Leven and I are playing tonight. It will be interesting to see how using Inns and Cathedrals and Mage and Witch together impacts the game!
I'm so sorry Nick, it was my fault that this game did not happen today. (I was completely lost in an other activity, and somehow didn't recognize Slack's notification about your message. Shame on me.)
How about Friday, Saturday or Sunday evening? Would any of these be suitable for you?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2019, 11:45:20 PM »
I'm so sorry Nick, it was my fault that this game did not happen today. (I was completely lost in an other activity, and somehow didn't recognize Slack's notification about your message. Shame on me.)
How about Friday, Saturday or Sunday evening? Would any of these be suitable for you?

No worries. Shall we try again for tonight at around a similar time (9pm-ish CET)?

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2019, 01:30:08 PM »
Today I did not forget about our scheduled game, so now I can report another result in the premiership.

:black1-meeple: Nicholas Mysticos vs :violet-meeple: Leven 2:3

I won farms and cloisters while Nick was victious in city and road points.

I have to admit that I had a bit more luck during the game overall. For example, twice in the game I drew cloisters which I could place into fully surrounded holes, gaining easy 2*9 points this way (securing my victory in cloister points, as well). Moreover, I also drew the one and only CCRF tile which left Nick's big follower stuck in a small incompletable city. That gave me a huge advantage in farming, and by using my big meeple I was able to steal a valuable farm from Nicholas.

Thanks for the game, Nick, and good luck in your next game.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2019, 11:58:34 PM »
This was a tough game as I felt the tile draws went against me, and it's hard enough to play against Leven as it is! In addition to the ones mentioned by Leven, I had two meeples (one on a road and one in a city) that were waiting for one CFRR tile to close both features for about 50 tiles. I finally got it on my second last turn, but by then it was much too late to make an attempt at winning farms and/or the game with them. Anyway, congratulations Leven!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:02:10 AM by Nicholas Mystikos »

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2019, 01:40:32 AM »
League table update with 3 weeks left of the season.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2019, 01:45:03 AM »
@TheSteveAllen: Isn't the thing that you're sorting on - points - missing from the table?

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2019, 01:56:22 AM »
@TheSteveAllen: Isn't the thing that you're sorting on - points - missing from the table?
I see points in the last column.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2019, 01:59:15 AM »

Do you happen to referee Scottish football matches Nick?  >:D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
CCDL - Premiership Spring 2019

Started by TheSteveAllen

77 Replies
Last post May 23, 2019, 02:49:19 PM
by TheSteveAllen
clip
CCDL - League 'A' Winter 2018

Started by TheSteveAllen

81 Replies
Last post February 17, 2019, 11:57:02 PM